passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Final Fantasy XII - The Zodiac Age

Sambob

Yes but it's pot luck. This is the type of thing that probably made the guide back in the day, but it's just not touched on in the game. Or if it was, I missed it.

Having said that, I feel this game is allowing a casual like me to learn it's systems and strengthen my team in a fair way. The main game isn't that hard (up to now), but you can indulge yourself in serious challenge in the hunts, and the optional bosses. In those endeavours you're definitely tweaking your gambits and routing thru your accessories to find a way to victory. I'm now obsessed with taking down this mutant ant in the llusu mines. Bastards beaten my twice, although I had him down to a sliver. I know how to beat him though. I just have some business with this evil empire first.

The linked esper skills don't really become important until you're getting the last few espers, or the optional ones at least. There's some stuff that's more useful than it seems though, like giving a melee character some weak fira/thundara spells so they can hit birdies and save casters some MP.

@bellow if you beat all the hunts in this game then I think @Maf's gamer title should be forfeit.

@bellow how are you getting on with this? I took an accidental detour into some caves that I wasn't meant to and just about managed to get out alive by fleeing through massive chunks. I can't remember where I am going next story wise as I've been doing hunts. I did meet 

Spoiler

Frans sister

And the young dude is my current guest in my party. Save file is showing 28 hours, so the most I've spent on any game for a while. I can see this surpassing my BotW playtime (which was only 65 hours, so not massive).

Picked up about 5 different hunts from bars and the clan hideout. Some are level V so I'm assuming that I can't manage those just yet. I did a level II hunt (maybe III) in the desert that was cool, basically a big dragon thing that only appears in storms. Kicked it's ass.

@Jimbo Xiii My latest save is showing 53 plus hours! Story wise I'm way ahead of ya, but quite a lot of those hours have also been spent on the hunts. I've taken down a good few level 5s, and I'm just about to set off on a level 6.

This side questing has been more than enough to keep my squad ahead of the game in terms of level, and the last story boss I came across fell easier than a house of cards.

So, for me this has been a blast. At least as enjoyable as DQ11, with nice characters and fast moving gameplay (superfast if needed?)

And the best endorsement of the game I can give is that I'm in no hurry to finish it off. I wouldn't mind another week or two in Ivalice, bringing that obsurdly camp empire to its knees while become a hero of the hunters clan. (Probably duck out way before the truly big bad post game bosses rear their ugly noggins, having said that)

I think I'm close to the end of this. There's a very definite point of no return notification popping up when I go to Balthier's boat to take me to a big battle that's kicked off over Dalmasca. 

My team has been busy elsewhere, struggling thru crystal mazes, and climbing ridiculously tall towers to play with magic stones and beat up monsters.

It all got a bit overblown to be honest, and I'm glad to be back in pirate's bay planning my next hunt. I have a feeling the baddie round here will just wait for me to get my team tuned up and decked out with the best gear in Avalice rather than just simply hunt us down. The idiot.

The whole game feels like A New Hope, like it's the middle of a big story yet to be continued. Then at the end it's like a record scratch and they just rush everything, sadly.

It also feels like A New Hope cause it literally is A New Hope. You have your Han Solo (Baltiher), Princess Leia, uhh Chewbacca (Fran..)

GRIN was supposed to do a follow up called 'Fortress' (probably working title). It would have had more of Nordic style, like Skyrim. But you would have seen what happened with some of the characters

Spoiler

They would take the Star Wars stuff even further and Larsa would marry Ashe. ?

But it's still been a great game for me. In terms of simple enjoyment, certainly on a par with some of the fab games I've played in the genre recently; XC2, DQ11, Ys 8, and Octopath. Easily my favourite FF title (although I really like 15, so that's not saying much?).

Since the endgame came into view I've been loving it even more, building up my team on hunts in previously unexplored and beautiful regions that I can hardly believe failed to crop up in the main story - the nebreus deadlands, the necrohol of nabudis, the zertina caverns to name the few I've been exploring today, all packed with new enemies and secrets, and tough as nails bosses obviously meant for the aftergame. Luckily, legging it is a viable option in this game.

I'm pretty stunned by the experience, actually. I've never been that much of an Final fantasy fan. Craps all over that cringey FFX.

And that's that. Managed to put away last boss's final form with the longest mist combo I've managed the entire game. Very satisfying.

I had a few hairy moments in that final showdown, but I never lost a man in the end, possibly due to going back in to the game beforehand and mopping up the level 7 hunts. In the end, even they were reasonably easy, so I knew I'd get to see the titles without much heartache.

Great game. Really enjoyed it. Pity about @Maf turning tale like brave Sir Robin, but it didn't take the shine off the experience. Enhanced it really ?

Now I'm wondering what's happened to @Jimbo Xiii. Hope he hasn't strained something on that switch fitness ringumeyjig.

46 minutes ago, one-armed dwarf said:

Not so fast @bellow, get back in there and show Yiazmat what's what

You know, at the end you get a new game plus which starts u at level 90. Another concession to the pampered modern gamer, lol. 

So it's feasible I suppose, but not for me. Doing something like that would take the shine off the experience, and I'd probably end up resenting the effort. For me this is a beloved game, and one I'll very likely return to in the future. I won't spoil that with gung ho trophy chasing.

44 minutes ago, Maf said:

I’ll come back to this at some point I just don’t know when

I can't understand why you threw in the towel so early. It was your idea to play it, after all.

I recall the Yiazmat fight takes a couple of hours. The definition of a 'war of attrition'. Unlike when I defeated Ancient Dragon in Dark Souls 2.0, in victory against the Super Boss, there was no sense of relief or overcoming a great obstacle, I just felt numb... Your mileage may vary.

9 is kind of boring imo but it looks pretty. VIII is very iffy, stay away unless you are a fan of card games.

You might as well try VII. It's the most popular one for a reason and the remake is only based off the first 4 hours anyway.

Also if anything XII is one of the more 'hardcore' modern FFs outside of the MMOs. Which is why maf couldn't stick it I bet