passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

VS Fighting 2017

DisturbedSwan

Hey all,

The UK's second largest fighting game tournament is taking place at Millennium Point in Birmingham on the 12th-13th August.

I know quite a few of you live in and around Birmingham so if you fancy meeting up then that'd be cool, tickets are £10 for spectators, £20 for Casuals so not too pricey. I'll be going on the Sunday (13th) to see all the finals.

Tekken 7, Guilty Gear Xrd Rev 2, Smash Bros, Injustice 2, SFV, KI, BlazBlue: Central Fiction and SFII: Super Turbo will be all the Pro tournaments. Tekken 7, BB, Smash, SFV and IJ2 all have finals on Sunday.

Rumoured they may have DBZ FighterZ and MVC:I playable there too.

Just putting it out there anyway, no worries if not :)

VSF-SCHEDULE-7-768x543.png

More info here.

Tickets available here (Need to register, then register for the event, go to the 2nd page and select spectators/casuals pass)

There isn't any MvC so if i come to Birmingham can we fight? We can charge people 5 quid to watch. You cosplay as Capcom characters and i'll do Marvel. Fight till the death.

• 3 weeks later...

My thoughts on VSF2017 and a few pics:

As my first live FGC event I didn't really know what to expect, I saw all the crowds on social media on Saturday and expected it to be teeming with people when I walked in but it was surprisingly quiet. I walked around confused trying to get my bearings for the first half hour and was a little starstruck to see all the IJ2 Pro's casually hanging out playing matches on the landing. After IJ2 finished I came out to see JDCR casually playing sets of T7 too, so damn cool.

I worked out which areas were which after a while, but didn't find the Smash/Dragonball FighterZ area until much later, I also thought the auditorium was closed initially as it had a velvet rope over it (and you don't ever mess with a velvet rope) but soon enough it opened and I relaxed into the nice comfy chair's of the IMAX theatre. 

It was a really cool environment, super comfy chairs, drink holders and a stupidly large screen, what more can you ask for? Stayed here for the next 6 hours with only one loo break inbetween SFV and IJ2, only watched a few of the Tekken 7 matches before leaving a little early to get some grub before my train home.

I didn't know the etiquette with the casuals at all, didn't want to barge in so didn't end up playing anything and just watching, probably my only disappointment of the day. I thought folks would play one game/set and then move on like at EGX/Gamescom etc. But it seemed folks were just playing a lot of games with friends etc. and staying there so I didn't get an opportunity to play MVCI and Dragonball, both looked excellent though.

MCVI looks much brighter (in terms of colour etc.) and shinier in terms of graphics and you can understand the art style they were going for more seeing it in person. Dragonball FighterZ blew my socks off though, it just looked absolutely phenomenal from what I saw, incredibly crisp graphics (looked 4K to me), such clear vivid crisp colours and it looked absolutely crazy, even crazier than MvC3 I think, combo blasts, zoom-ins on faces and absolutely bonkers 50-100 hit combo super's. Not sure what it was being played on as it just had 'Namco Bandai Console' stickers on top of the random black boxes.

Overall I really enjoyed it, I think if IJ2 hadn't been there I would've been a little disappointed as (as much as I like watching SFV and Tekken 7) I don't play them much in the former's case and not at all for the latter whereas I know all the personalities and the 'scene' more watching IJ2 and know all the inputs etc. the players are using when I'm watching them. I'm a little biased but I definitely think IJ2 had the most ooo's and ahh's from the crowd, there were some great matches in there.

Setting up the big screen for SFV early on:

n3DsVN8.jpg

Louffey and Hurricane (SFV):

6wKTiex.jpg

Injustice (of course):

c9tMiEQ.jpg

Whiteboi and Foxy Grampa (kind of...)

OltORwM.jpg

Tekken Master and Madzin (Kind of):

vdHQTHq.jpg

IJ2 top-8 medals:

LKj8etn.jpg