passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

UK & US Sales and Charts

DisturbedSwan

Avengers sold less than 1/3 of Spider-Man launch (+2% vs Shadow of the TR)/Tony Hawk: +448% vs Tony Hawk 5

Avengers : ~ 56k copies (Thanks DarkDetective)

• Less than 1/3 of Spider-Man launch
  • +2 vs Shadow of Tomb Raider
  • Platform split (PS4 : 73% / One : 27%)

Tony Hawk PS 1+2 :

• +448% vs Tony Hawk 5 (2015)
  • Best selling Tony Hawk game since at least 2006
  • Platform split (PS4 : 74% / One : 26%)

NBA 2K21 :

• -37% vs NBA 2K20 launch

Comparative Sales:

Spider-Man : 190k
Shadow of Tomb Raider : 55k

Some sales of third-party to compare

Jedi Fallen Order : 87k

AC Odyssey : 72k

RE2 Remake : 70k

FF7 Remake : 57-67k (during lockdowns)

The Division 2 : 55k

Anthem : 42k

UK Chart, week ending September 5th 2020

01 (NE) MARVEL'S AVENGERS (SQUARE ENIX)

02 (NE) TONY HAWK'S PRO SKATER 1 + 2 (ACTIVISION)

03 (NE) NBA 2K21 (2K)

04 (01) ANIMAL CROSSING: NEW HORIZONS (NINTENDO)

05 (03) MARIO KART 8 DELUXE (NINTENDO)

06 (05) MINECRAFT (NINTENDO)

07 (04) GRAND THEFT AUTO V (ROCKSTAR)

08 (07) FIFA 20 (EA SPORTS)

09 (06) GHOST OF TSUSHIMA (SONY COMPUTER ENT.)

10 (02) PGA TOUR 2K21 (2K)

11 (RE) THE WITCHER III: WILD HUNT GOTY EDITION (BANDAI NAMCO ENTERTAINMENT)

12 (08) EA SPORTS UFC 4 (EA SPORTS)

13 (19) THE LAST OF US PART II (SONY COMPUTER ENT.)

14 (11) CRASH BANDICOOT N.SANE TRILOGY (ACTIVISION)

15 (13) F1 2020 (CODEMASTERS)

16 (09) RING FIT ADVENTURE (NINTENDO)

17 (15) SUPER MARIO ODYSSEY (NINTENDO)

18 (18) LEGO HARRY POTTER COLLECTION (WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE)

19 (12) PAPER MARIO: THE ORIGAMI KING (NINTENDO)

20 (16) POKEMON SWORD (NINTENDO)

21 (23) LUIGI'S MANSION 3 (NINTENDO)

22 (22) MARIO & SONIC AT THE OLYMPIC GAMES TOKYO 2020 (NINTENDO)

23 (24) NEW SUPER MARIO BROS. U DELUXE (NINTENDO)

24 (20) 51 WORLDWIDE GAMES (NINTENDO)

25 (26) NEED FOR SPEED: HEAT (EA GAMES)

26 (25) SPYRO REIGNITED TRILOGY (ACTIVISION)

27 (31) THE LEGEND OF ZELDA: BREATH OF THE WILD (NINTENDO)

28 (27) CALL OF DUTY: MODERN WARFARE (ACTIVISION)

29 (38) POKEMON SHIELD (NINTENDO)

30 (33) STAR WARS JEDI: FALLEN ORDER (EA GAMES)

31 (29) THE LAST OF US: REMASTERED (PLAYSTATION HITS)

32 (39) LEGO JURASSIC WORLD (WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE)

33 (21) JUST DANCE 2020 (UBISOFT)

34 (36) SUPER MARIO PARTY (NINTENDO)

35 (40) LEGO THE INCREDIBLES (WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE)

36 (32) SUPER SMASH BROS. ULTIMATE (NINTENDO)

37 (RE) LEGO DC SUPER-VILLAINS (WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE)

38 (37) RED DEAD REDEMPTION 2 (ROCKSTAR)

39 (34) CRASH TEAM RACING NITRO-FUELED (ACTIVISION)

40 (RE) MINECRAFT: BEDROCK EDITION (SONY COMPUTER ENT.)

Jesus Christ, a lot of handwringing going on this morning ? never seen so much activity in this thread!

18 hours ago, Maryokutai said:

Avengers sells roughly the same number as Shadow of the Tomb Raider? Now that is good news all around, ironically both for Avengers and TR simultaneously – for the former because it looked like a stinker for the longest time and for the latter because, hey Square Enix, the franchise doesn't seem to be doing so bad when it can keep up with the Avengers.

For context here, Shadow of the Tomb Raider was the 3rd entry in a series, it was a known IP and franchise for SE which is why it's sales projections were higher and it's sales figures were disappointing at the time. 

Avengers is a new IP - yes it has the Avengers brand attached - but it's still a new IP, and those figures are very good for a new IP in the first week. What you've also got to consider is that the digital sales % is much higher nowadays than when SotTR released and aren't included in those sales figures given above. It's likely Avengers did very well digitally due to current trends and the Pandemic. 

15 hours ago, OCH said:

I remember that they have previously labelled sales for series such as New Tomb Raider and Hitman "failures" because they don't sell as much as Call of Duty... What kind of gauge is that??‍♂️

Any source on that? I know SE were reportedly disappointed by Hitman and SotTR sales but I don't believe they expected them to hit CoD sales figures. Their sales projections were higher than they should've been but I don't believe they were anything particularly crazy. Sales projections are a lot about getting investors/shareholders on board anyway. 

15 hours ago, Maf said:

Kind of fair because Shadow of the Tomb Raider had an unshakeable feeling of contractual obligation. Very workman like, unoriginal and uncreative. So the Avengers, one of the biggest names in entertainment, doing about the same as that is probably not good. 

SotTR was the best of the new trilogy in my opinion, far more innovation and ingenuity there than the mediocre by-the-numbers RotTR in my view. 

This is an unfair comparison to make. Avengers is a new IP (yes I know it has the Avengers brand attached but it's still a new IP), SotTR was the 3rd game in a trilogy for a big SE franchise. As mentioned above it's likely due to current trends and the Pandemic that Avengers sold very well digitally, which the sales figures listed don't show. 

14 hours ago, one-armed dwarf said:

I fear this could be Crystal Dynamic's 'Haze' moment then, given that Tomb Raider didn't do well either

Jesus christ, this is one hell of a hot take.

Avengers has sold well so far, CD will be fine. The last TR was developed by Eidos Montreal. 

As much as Avengers being a new IP is fair and comparing it to other recent new IP is also fair I think Avengers is such a big brand it selling only a 1/3rd of Spider-Man when it’s on 3 times as many platforms has got to be underwhelming sales. As much as one is a new IP and one is kind of technically a new IP, they both say Marvel on the box so they have to be looked at for comparison.

Avengers also has a lot going against it that Spider-Man never had to deal with but still, that is some unfortunate looking maths right there. 

It selling well digitally is also a fair assumption but still an assumption, no? Or did I miss something in your post? 

Saying that Avengers vs SotTR is not a good comparison, I’m with you. I’m just not sure who that comparison is more unfair too. Avengers because it didn’t sell more than a series that had gone limp or Tomb Raider because it has to be compared to a new, fresh Marvel title.

Aside from it all Tomb Raider needs another reboot.

Ok, I thought they did Tomb Raider. Regardless actually finding people online to play this in its release week is really difficult and the steam numbers also don't paint a pretty picture. 

Not trying to pick on this game like a vulture or anything but it just seems like a massive misfire. I mean you can tell me that these types of games launch like this all the time and I'd believe you but right now it is so buggy and incomplete feeling so I think it's going to be impossible to build momentum from what is currently a fairly pathetic package right now. On the live game side

1 minute ago, one-armed dwarf said:

Ok, I thought they did Tomb Raider. Regardless actually finding people online to play this in its release week is really difficult and the steam numbers also don't paint a pretty picture. 

Not trying to pick on this game like a vulture or anything but it just seems like a massive misfire. I mean you can tell me that these types of games launch like this all the time and I'd believe you but right now it is so buggy and incomplete feeling so I think it's going to be impossible to build momentum from what is currently a fairly pathetic package right now. On the live game side

They did the first two, Eidos Montreal the last one (of the recent trilogy).

It's fine to pick on it, I just like to provide context is all.

52 minutes ago, Maf said:

As much as Avengers being a new IP is fair and comparing it to other recent new IP is also fair I think Avengers is such a big brand it selling only a 1/3rd of Spider-Man when it’s on 3 times as many platforms has got to be underwhelming sales. As much as one is a new IP and one is kind of technically a new IP, they both say Marvel on the box so they have to be looked at for comparison.

Avengers also has a lot going against it that Spider-Man never had to deal with but still, that is some unfortunate looking maths right there. 

It selling well digitally is also a fair assumption but still an assumption, no? Or did I miss something in your post? 

Saying that Avengers vs SotTR is not a good comparison, I’m with you. I’m just not sure who that comparison is more unfair too. Avengers because it didn’t sell more than a series that had gone limp or Tomb Raider because it has to be compared to Marvel. 

Aside from it all Tomb Raider needs another reboot.

I do get where you're coming from and compared to Spidey the sales aren't great. I do think a lot of Spidey's success was down to it being a Sony 1P IP though. 

It selling well digitally is an assumption, but based on a lot of recent information that's come out saying that digital game sales now make up 50% of an overall games' sales. 

I don't think either of them sold as well as SE would've hoped, in the UK at least, but both still sold well enough. Although with Avengers it's harder to get the full picture right now as we're waiting on more sales figures to come in from other countries and SE to perhaps give digital sales figures. I do think Avengers will do gangbusters in the US but that is an assumption based on research data that shows it's one of the most anticipated games over there for this Autumn/Winter season. 

I’m surprised digital is 50%, as the day one prices are bloody ridiculous.

Physical brand new game-£45/50.

Digital version of the exact same thing-at least £65. 
And with the next gen prices apparently getting put up, that figure will get even worse.

I’ll buy digital in the sales. But never day one.

4 hours ago, DisturbedSwan said:

Any source on that? I know SE were reportedly disappointed by Hitman and SotTR sales but I don't believe they expected them to hit CoD sales figures. Their sales projections were higher than they should've been but I don't believe they were anything particularly crazy. Sales projections are a lot about getting investors/shareholders on board anyway. 

While it was something I heard a while ago, one quick google search later...

https://www.destructoid.com/stories/tomb-raider-hitman-sleeping-dogs-all-failed-square-enix-249692.phtml

https://www.kotaku.com.au/2013/05/square-enix-disappointed-by-sales-of-tomb-raider-wants-to-maximise-profits-during-development/

Here is where they also reference Hitman adopting the CoD model...

http://news.wishfree.com/square-enix-to-adopt-call-of-duty-model-for-hitman-5855/

Haven't seen the exact quote I read, from a five minute search. So it may have been in a mag.

1 hour ago, DANGERMAN said:

With that tweet, what are the launch sales of digital etc? I'll buy stuff on psn when stuffs cheap, but it's rare I use it for anything new 

It's still difficult to get that information with any regularity in the UK unfortunately. I believe the UK Chart was meant to be integrated with digital sales at the beginning of last year but it was delayed and hasn't been properly integrated to this day. It used to be GfK Chart Track who provided the charts but is now GSD, who then works with UKIE, all very convoluted so you will get the occasional digital/combined chart out of them but it's rare.

The US (NPD) charts is fully digital integrated though aside from certain publishers (Nintendo and a couple of others I believe). 

1 hour ago, AndyKurosaki said:

I’m surprised digital is 50%, as the day one prices are bloody ridiculous.

Physical brand new game-£45/50.

Digital version of the exact same thing-at least £65. 
And with the next gen prices apparently getting put up, that figure will get even worse.

I’ll buy digital in the sales. But never day one.

If you buy Wallet top-ups from somewhere like ShopTo or CDKeys you get much better prices. £35 credit for £29.85 or £50 credit for £42.85. I managed to get TLOUP2 for £46.70 digitally by combining wallet top ups to get the best price. I think a lot of others do the same, and the rest are just used to buying other media digitally that they want their games delivered the same way.

I personally rarely buy digital as I need to resell a game once I'm done with it, but yeah, it is feasible and the prices aren't much worse if you go the wallet top-up route.

Wallet top up sounds pretty inconvenient. 

I'm 100% digital but it is very expensive. I don't buy every game that comes out tho, like this month was unusually expensive cause for some reason my mind goblins told me I had to play Avengers.

I think FFVII could be interesting to look at from a physical/digital divide

I prefer to use Klarna when I utilise ShopTo. Breaking it down to 3 payments isn’t so bad. 
I wouldn’t pay full price on digital for anything on principal. No box, no manual, no possibility to resell it, yet it costs a stupid amount. Just doesn’t sit right with me. And topping it up via wallet to me feels like it’s justifying the digital price, and potentially encouraging it. 
“Hey, these mugs are happy to pay over the odds for digital, lets see how much we can take the piss”.

Unlikely, I know. But still.

Not sure how much positive word of mouth there is. I mean right now people are saying that the campaign is actually solid but everything else super lackluster and very unfinished. If anything this will lead people to wait for a big price drop before hopping in instead of buying it straight away because they just want to play though the story.

Now who would have thought that Crystal Dynamics was better at building a single player experience than a GAAS title? Anybody home, Square Enix?

This industry is frustrating to observe.

Chart info

Marvel's Avengers -60% (~22.000)
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2 -54%
Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning sold a quarter of the original launch (~7.000), but a high digital share should make up for most of that difference. 74% of sales on PS4.
Minecraft Dungeons at No.6. 72% of sales on NSW, 16% on PS4 (rest is 2%).
NBA 2K21 -61% (~3.500)

UK Chart, week ending September 12th 2020

01 (01) MARVEL'S AVENGERS (SQUARE ENIX)

02 (02) TONY HAWK'S PRO SKATER 1 + 2 (ACTIVISION)

03 (04) ANIMAL CROSSING: NEW HORIZONS (NINTENDO)

04 (NE) KINGDOMS OF AMALUR: RE-RECKONING (THQ NORDIC)

05 (05) MARIO KART 8 DELUXE (NINTENDO)

06 (NE) MINECRAFT DUNGEONS (MOJANG)

07 (06)MINECRAFT (NINTENDO)

08 (03) NBA 2K21 (2K)

09 (07) GRAND THEFT AUTO V (ROCKSTAR)

10 (16) RING FIT ADVENTURE (NINTENDO)

11 (08) FIFA 20 (EA SPORTS)

12 (09) GHOST OF TSUSHIMA (SONY COMPUTER ENT.)

13 (13) THE LAST OF US PART II (SONY COMPUTER ENT.)

14 (17) SUPER MARIO ODYSSEY (NINTENDO)

15 (10) PGA TOUR 2K21 (2K)

16 (15) F1 2020 (CODEMASTERS)

17 (18) LEGO HARRY POTTER COLLECTION (WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE)

18 (19) PAPER MARIO: THE ORIGAMI KING (NINTENDO)

19 (23) NEW SUPER MARIO BROS. U DELUXE (NINTENDO)

20 (20) POKEMON SWORD (NINTENDO)

21 (21) LUIGI'S MANSION 3 (NINTENDO)

23 (12) EA SPORTS UFC 4 (EA SPORTS)

24 (11) THE WITCHER III: WILD HUNT GOTY EDITION (BANDAI NAMCO ENTERTAINMENT)

25 (27) THE LEGEND OF ZELDA: BREATH OF THE WILD (NINTENDO)

26 (33) JUST DANCE 2020 (UBISOFT)

27 (14) CRASH BANDICOOT N.SANE TRILOGY (ACTIVISION)

28 (31) THE LAST OF US: REMASTERED (PLAYSTATION HITS)

29 (36) SUPER SMASH BROS. ULTIMATE (NINTENDO)

30 (38) RED DEAD REDEMPTION 2 (ROCKSTAR)

31 (34) SUPER MARIO PARTY (NINTENDO)

32 (24) 51 WORLDWIDE GAMES (NINTENDO)

33 (32) LEGO JURASSIC WORLD (WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE)

34 (29) POKEMON SHIELD (NINTENDO)

35 (40) MINECRAFT: BEDROCK EDITION (SONY COMPUTER ENT.)

36 (RE) HORIZON ZERO DAWN: COMPLETE EDITION (PLAYSTATION HITS)

37 (28) CALL OF DUTY: MODERN WARFARE (ACTIVISION)

38 (30) STAR WARS JEDI: FALLEN ORDER (EA GAMES)

39 (RE) LEGO MARVEL SUPER HEROES 2 (WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE)

40 (RE) BORDERLANDS 3 (2K)

NPD (US) August 2020 Sales Data

State of the market

Consumer spending across video game hardware, content and accessories totaled $3.3B in Aug 2020, a 37% increase when compared to a year ago. Digital content on console, mobile and subscription were among largest growth segments.

Year-to-date spending reached $29.4 billion, 23 percent higher than the same period in 2019. Content, hardware and accessory spending each increased by more than 20 percent when compared to the same period a year ago.

Content

Video game content spending reached $2.9 billion in August 2020, increasing 37 percent when compared to a year ago. Year-to-date content spending now exceeds $25.9 billion, a 22 percent increase compared to prior year.

Madden NFL 21 was the best-selling title of August, with double-digit percentage dollar sales growth when compared to the release month of Madden NFL 20. Madden NFL 21 debuts as the #6 best-selling game year-to-date. This is the 21st consecutive year that a Madden NFL franchise release has the best-selling game in its release month.
Madden NFL is the best-selling Sports (and 3rd best-selling overall) video game franchise in US history.

UFC 4 was the second best-selling game of the month, setting a new franchise launch month sales record for an Electronic Arts published UFC title. UFC 4 ranked as the third best-selling game of August on both PlayStation 4 and Xbox One.

Final Fantasy VII: Remake returned to the top 20 best-selling titles chart (#19) in August after finishing ranked 41st in July. The title was featured at a discounted price digitally on the PlayStation Store.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild was the 6th best-seller of Aug on Nintendo Switch. It has ranked among the top 7 best-sellers on Switch for 42 consecutive months. It is as the 10th best-selling game on Nintendo platforms in US tracked history.

Software charts

Eh4Iw53UwAU3H0w.jpg

Xbox One

Spoiler

Eh4I_n5U4AEDMFI.jpg

PS4

Spoiler

Eh4I8bfU8AAcu1i.jpg

Switch

Spoiler

Eh4I57GUwAc6EUA.jpg

Eh4IzkGU8AEZMmu.jpg

Eh4I2_jVoAIKdJ5.jpg

Hardware

Hardware spending increased 37% in Aug 2020 when compared to a year ago, to $229m. Year-to-date spending on hardware increased 23 percent vs YA, to $2.0 billion.

Nintendo Switch set a new US August hardware dollar sales record, besting the August 2008 dollar sales of the Nintendo Wii. Nintendo Switch unit volume more than doubled when compared to a year ago. Switch was the best-selling hardware platform of the month.

Accessories

Spending on Accessories reached an August record $166 million, increasing 42 percent when compared to a year ago. Year-to-date spending gained 26 percent to an all-time high $1.4 billion.

Gamepad, Headset/Headphone and Steering Wheel spending each set new August and year-to-date US sales records.

The PS4 DualShock 4 Wireless Controller Black was the best-sellling Accessory of August, while the Xbox Elite Series 2 Wireless Controller remained the best-selling Accessory of 2020 year-to-date.

The best-selling Headset of both August, as well as 2020 year-to-date, was the Xbox One Ear Force Recon 70 Gaming Headset - Black from Turtle Beach.

The Logitech G920 Driving Force Racing Wheel for Xbox One was the best-selling Steering Wheel in August 2020 as well as year-to-date.

Thanks to Mat Piscatella for the break down!

UK Chart, week ending September 19th 2020

01 (NE) SUPER MARIO 3D ALL-STARS (NINTENDO)

02 (01) MARVEL'S AVENGERS (SQUARE ENIX)

03 (03) ANIMAL CROSSING: NEW HORIZONS (NINTENDO)

04 (02) TONY HAWK'S PRO SKATER 1 + 2 (ACTIVISION)

05 (05) MARIO KART 8 DELUXE (NINTENDO)

06 (NE) WWE 2K BATTLEGROUNDS (2K)

07 (07) MINECRAFT (NINTENDO)

08 (06) MINECRAFT DUNGEONS (MOJANG)

09 (NE) EFOOTBALL PES 2021 SEASON UPDATE (KONAMI)

10 (09) GRAND THEFT AUTO V (ROCKSTAR)

11 (10) RING FIT ADVENTURE (NINTENDO)

12 (14) SUPER MARIO ODYSSEY (NINTENDO)

13 (12) GHOST OF TSUSHIMA (SONY COMPUTER ENT.)

14 (08) NBA 2K21 (2K)

15 (11) FIFA 20 (EA SPORTS)

16 (40) BORDERLANDS 3 (2K)

17 (17) LEGO HARRY POTTER COLLECTION (WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE)

18 (16) F1 2020 (CODEMASTERS)

19 (32) 51 WORLDWIDE GAMES (NINTENDO)

20 (18) PAPER MARIO: THE ORIGAMI KING (NINTENDO)

21 (20) POKEMON SWORD (NINTENDO)

23 (21) LUIGI'S MANSION 3 (NINTENDO)

24 (27) CRASH BANDICOOT N.SANE TRILOGY (ACTIVISION)

25 (15) PGA TOUR 2K21 (2K)

26 (13) THE LAST OF US PART II (SONY COMPUTER ENT.)

27 (25) THE LEGEND OF ZELDA: BREATH OF THE WILD (NINTENDO)

28 (26) JUST DANCE 2020 (UBISOFT)

29 (19) NEW SUPER MARIO BROS. U DELUXE (NINTENDO)

30 (29) SUPER SMASH BROS. ULTIMATE (NINTENDO)

31 (30) RED DEAD REDEMPTION 2 (ROCKSTAR)

32 (28) THE LAST OF US: REMASTERED (PLAYSTATION HITS)

33 (31) SUPER MARIO PARTY (NINTENDO)

34 (34) POKEMON SHIELD (NINTENDO)

35 (35) MINECRAFT: BEDROCK EDITION (SONY COMPUTER ENT.)

36 (36) HORIZON ZERO DAWN: COMPLETE EDITION (PLAYSTATION HITS)

37 (29) EA SPORTS UFC 4 (EA SPORTS)

38 (39) LEGO MARVEL SUPER HEROES 2 (WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE)

39 (RE) MARIO + RABBIDS KINGDOM BATTLE (UBISOFT)

40 (RE) PLAYSTATION VR WORLDS (SONY COMPUTER ENT.)