passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Hollow Knight

DisturbedSwan

• 4 weeks later...

I've played it a little.  Took a little time to get into the physics after Dead Cells but I think I'm in the groove now.  Fought a few bosses that I always under estimate but do manage to scrape a win in the end so I'm enjoying the challenge.  I like how it's possible to always turn things around if you play smart.

I know you're a little bug but I'm surprised how little it makes you feel right now.  I wonder how that will change as new abilities start coming in.

It really starts opening up once you get more abilities, though I still think the lack of direction is a bit of a knock against it. I realise that’s stupid coming from someone who loves the Souls games, but you expect a bit more direction in a Metroidvania.

Started this last night after ed mentioned it was on sale at the minute. It's got something. That little spark that makes you want to keep playing no matter how much, or how little, progress you make.

The art style is fabulous, really suits the gameplay. Sound I can't say much on at the minute as I've had it turned download quite a lot.

Anyway, like I said, started it last night. Not a clue where I'm going or what I'm doing, but I stumbled upon this weird mini-boss. Like a fly/pig hybrid that absolutely fucked me up. Realised I didn't have the attention span so put it down but was thinking about out for a fair while afterwards. Unfortunately, I didn't realise that there's normally benches near these big bad guys, so I've lost all my money and been sent back to the start. Fuck.

Went back in this morning, tried to retrace my steps, got entirely lost. Ended up making my way to another boss - the...

Spoiler

...False Knight. Great enemy. A nice easy introduction to the way bosses work in this game. I mean, I died, but I soon made my way back there and beat the ever living fuck out of him.

First charm earned, first new power earned, let's see what I can fuck up with this. I know what I'm looking for. The enemy I need to take on is somewhere over to the left of my current map. I'll find it again at some point.

I really like the fact it's giving me nothing though. I haven't played a Metroidvania in years, and they've all been really easy to navigate. This makes me buy a map, and a compass, and a quill before I can fill in the details on here. Tough, but totally fair within the game world.

Within 2 hours I'm totally sold on this one.

@regemond I recommend grind the first few rooms for money for a map and compass. Doesn’t take long at all. Idk if you need to find mr map man first tho I can’t remember but he’s close at first. 

There’s enemies in this game I found you can beat by standing still and striking your nail as they strike their club. The huge guys that butt stomp the ground. I don’t know if it’s intentional but basically you end up striking their club and hurting them easily. 

Yeah I got map man, I've got the first map and the quill, but I didn't have enough for the compass too. I've made my way DEEP into the grass area and battled...

Spoiler

Hornet.

I didn't last long enough to learn how it attacks though so I lost 600-odd cash. I've earned the cash back now anyway, so I'm gonna try and get back to the hub if I can remember my route, see what money I can use there. 

Where would I get the map for this area? Does the cartographer dude move from area to area?

Will see if I can find him on the way back then. Surprised I didn't run into him after...

Spoiler

I got into the area by killing the enemy with the soul wave power thingy.

Eurgh, sitting here watching Suits (and gonna follow it up with Jigsaw), and all I wanna do is keep playing.

I picked this up too. My instinct is that it's a very good fit for the Switch, there's not really enough save points, and if you die and don't have a map you're not going to remember where you need to go, so being able to put it to sleep is handy (both of those prior points are criticisms). However, the Switch is a terrible controller, the "d-pad" is awful, and I've taken damage either because the game or the controller aren't responsive enough.

It's not all bad though, I love the look, I love the sound, and I mostly like the gameplay. I'd prefer a tighter Metroidvania rather than the larger scale sprawling game this is, but it's still good. A proper map system and not losing your stuff when you die would go a long way, but Dark Souls has to infest everything now. It's a shame too, initially I was pleasantly surprised how easy the Soulsness was, you track down your ghost, two or three hits and you've got your stuff back. Deeper in to the game, with fewer save rooms, more time wandering around blind, and an increase in difficulty, it's a bit tedious. One of the better things about Castlevania (the adventure ones) was that there was always a save point near a boss, and while they initially took time to get to, an hour later they felt really close together.

Anyway, it's a good game, I like it, but reading this thread and reading posts from people having items and moves earlier in the game than me kind of sums up some of the issues with it for me. At least its not procedurally generated too I guess 

I've made some progress on this the past day or so. I've opened up a lot of areas, I beat 3 difficult enemies (you might know the bit I mean), I can now smash downwards, and fire myself sideways. I've not really used the latter power yet but I know a couple of areas that will be open to me now. 

I've still got issues with the controls, there's a block between doing one thing and the next. The map system, the needless Souls aspect, very ready for games to move past that. When you're making progress though it's a very good game 

• 2 weeks later...

In opposition I think I’m out. I’ve not yet got “in” to it and a nail in the coffin has just been losing 600 souls (or whatever) by dropping in to a room with two bosses in it then dying cheaply on the way back to get them.

Thats just taken all my motivation. I love the style and maybe I’ll try again somewhen but it can fuck off for now.