Sign in to follow this  
radiofloyd

Elite: Dangerous

I've been talking to @radiofloyd on the discord about this game. We touched upon the sound design, which quite frankly is completely insane in this game.

That video doesn't even begin to cover it. Each body has it's own signature soundscape that you can monitor from space through all the banging and other space rumbling.

Each ship has it's own note which changes as you upgrade and engineer it. Although it might not seem like it, you get to know which ships are which, which ones you know you can take down and which ones you should avoid at all costs.

There's loads of incidental stuff as well, like if you kill a ship you can hear radio transmissions fade out as the ships debris scatters across the black of space. If it's witnessed radio calls go back and forth over who gets dibs on the salvage.

When you land in an orbital your ship makes plinking noises as it cools down, there's hubbub coming over the tannoys on how to behave and warnings of what's out there waiting for you if you're in a system with a bad reputation or if a system is in the throws of war. Some systems Coriolis' stations might even beg you to join their forces.

Sound design in games is phenomenal now. At one point there were only really a few studios that got it. Bungie and DICE were the kings of sound design. Since the late 00's everyone has becomes superstars at it. Something like Rainbow 6 Siege has to be experienced to be believed. It's so full and distinct.

This is the kinda shit that makes me want to play this game (but fuck that, I'm not learning that one!)

https://kotaku.com/elite-dangerous-players-are-rescuing-a-player-whos-been-1832727827?utm_medium=Socialflow&utm_campaign=Socialflow_Kotaku_Facebook&utm_source=Kotaku_Facebook

Basically, some dude got himself stranded in space back in November so the rest of the community are trying to rescue him. It just astounds me how much of a team spirit runs through this game.

It's an incredible game and is always featured in the sales these days on PSN. Quite tempted to go back to this again. Just hope I can remember how to drop out of hyperspace and land again...

Great stuff about the sound design, @Sly Reflex ,that's amazing and can easily be missed. 

Nah. As you know I just started playing on PC. I couldn't do the mouse and keyboard controls as they're kinda, I dunno, it's not like you point the nose of the ship where you want and that's it. With the controller you do just that. You have finer movement control with the mouse and each key does something. Pointing the nose works like depending on how far you slide the mouse the thrusters positions on your ship go from 0 to 100% on in a smoother gradient, which means if you don't return the mouse to the neutral position you're likely to have one or more thrusters at 1% somewhere. It's too finicky.

The worst part for those thinking about returning is that they've done some altering, most of it streamlining but there's stuff like the SRV having handbrake on A/X (not circle or B like before) and then swapping the main turret controls to the left click. Not that it matters, you can go into the controls and change practically anything you could think about. For me I was back into my space legs in less than 5 minutes, and that's with the added confusion of transferring from a PS4 pad to an Xbox One pad.

What I'd really like is to buy a HOTAs and play it like that. I bet that would take a lot of getting used to but after spending a lot of time playing like that going back to anything less would be a major step back.

This game's fucked my arse tonight. It's chucked me to 3 rebuy screens after being absolutely drilled by a Master rated pirate in a Python. My little Adder stood no chance. Shredded into scrap in less than seconds. Ended up paying out maybe 100k for insurance as well as been fined to the tune of 100k as well.

I took another step into the Imperial Eagle and started bounty hunting to break the trading up a bit. It's not a great ship, but then again what is at this level? I'm going through all the ships in order of cost just to set myself a goal. I have the Viper to go through before I get to the first "good" ship in the game. There's going to be plenty of felons I scalp before then.

Still amazed at how well this runs and looks. Beautiful game.