passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

E3 2017: Winners and Losers

DisturbedSwan

So yeah, just wondering really what everyone was impressed by at this years E3 and what folks were disappointed by?

Can be games, conferences, publishers, moments etc. Anything really, here's my list (in no particular order):

Winners:

1. Bethesda - Their conference, the trailers contained in it and how fantastic their two 2017 games looked (The Evil Within 2, Wolfenstein 2) really blew me away, absolutely adored the first iterations of those franchises and am absolutely gagging to see the sequels in October. Must've watched the TEW2 trailer super-cut from the conference 30 times already.

2. Nintendo - Their best 'Conference' in years, genuine mind-blowing surprises like Metroid Prime 4 and Pokemon Switch, the games we already knew about like SMO looked phenomenal and the vibes of Kirby/Yoshi were just so damn jolly.

3. Ubisoft - Probably my favourite Publisher, was sceptical about The Crew 2 but they proved me wrong, some really cool surprises like BG&E2 and Skull & Bones. AC:Origins and FC5 looked better than I thought they'd be too, just a really strong showing for me. The Mario + Rabbids section at the start with Miyamoto warmed the cockles of my heart too.

4. A Way Out - Blew my socks off and easily the highlight of that mediocre EA conference, absolutely cannot wait to play that game, HUGE fan of the studios previous game Brothers: A tale of Two Sons

5. Sea of Thieves - Just such nice jolly vibes, still apprehensive about what the game 'is' exactly, but with mates that game will be incredible.

Losers:

1. Sony - Just such a mediocre conference and no new AAA exclusives announced. Was especially disappointing as it came after the incredible Ubisoft conference a few hours earlier, the whole of that night I was literally bubbling with gaming hype and love, expected to be blown away by Bloodborne 2, DMC5 etc. at the Sony presser but we didn't get diddly squat. No TLOUP2 either. What the fuck was that FFXV VR bit? And the whole VR section in general? Fucking horrendous.

2. Star Wars Battlefront 2 - Just don't think it was a good showing really, I liked seeing the MP but as someone who already knows more than I can say about that game it didn't do a lot for me, I wanted to see a Walkthrough of the Campaign and was left disappointed.

3. No other Star Wars games mentioned - I get that EA wanted to focus on Battlefront 2 but I am absolutely gagging to see more of Amy Hennig's 2018 Star Wars game.

4. Forza 7 - I've played every Forza game and am a huge fan of the series but for some reason the announcement of 7 just left me cold, did absolutely nothing for me and with the amount of amazing games out in October already I can't see myself picking it up until the new year at the earliest.

5. Xbox One X price - It's an impressive console for the price and if I didn't have my PC I'd be sorely tempted to pick one up, but for $500/£450 I think it'll only appeal to the hardcore Xbox fans, I get they probably didn't want to eat a $100 loss per system to sell it at $400/£350, but this won't hot up the console war like I hoped it would now.

mario! and superhot vr coming to psvr.

lots of other decent stuff too. i was glad sony showed some vr stuff but sort of agree with you Blakey, the stuff they showed didn't look that good, odd they didn't show superhot in the main show, maybe because it was an xbox thing at first (the non-vr version).

Wolfenstein has meant I'm going to go back to the first of the modern ones and finish it, the new one looks great 

The Last Night looked really cool. I'm still not 100% sure what it's going to be but it's definitely on my radar. There weren't as many indie games shown as there has been over the last few years, particularly by Sony, but there was another one at Microsoft that looked decent, can't remember what it was though 

I thought God of War looked good, not spent a huge amount of time with them before but I might pick that up. 

I'm not sure about Far Cry 5, certainly I'm not rushing to finish 4. 

Mario looked a bit light to me, hopefully there's more to it. I'm glad they're doing something with Metroid, hopefully both are good, but I can't gets excited about a logo, that applies to Pokemon too, which didn't even have that. 

Conference wise, the only one I thought was bad was EA, and Star Wars woman was good on that. Sony's was the least interesting they've done in a while, I'm just not seeing Days Gone doing anything for me, but I thought Horizon looked dull and apparently that's great. Microsoft didn't have a huge amount I'd buy but it's the best they've done in years imo. Same for Ubisoft 

Nothing really stuck with me from Bethesda apart from Wolfenstein, but it was fine 

Super Mario Odyssey

Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus

Anthem

Monster Hunter: World

Beyond Good and Evil 2

Ori and the Will of the Wisps

Those had the best trailers. The best trailer was probably Beyond Good and Evil 2 even though it had no gameplay. But all those games look fantastic.

Monster Hunter World and Dragon Ball FighterZ were my favourite new announcements though I only saw the Sony and Nintendo presentations, and a tiny bit of the Microsoft one.

Super Mario Odyssey was the 'winner' though and a lesson in how you show a game people already know about.

Oh, and shootout to Spider-Man since I had little interest in that when it was first announced but now I'm pretty much on board.

I thought Microsoft/Ubisoft/Nintendo had good conferences. 

Games wise I liked the look of Anthem obviously. Mario Odyssey is looking a certain purchase. Spider-Man looked promising. We saw no footage but it's nice to know they are indeed being made; Pokémon Switch and Metroid Prime 4. 

Kinda glad God of War is delayed. This year is too busy.