passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Metroid Prime 4

radiofloyd

In developer news this isn't being made by Retro Studios, but "a new team".

I wouldn't say I'm concerned, but my interest has changed a bit.

I'm also more interested in what RS *are* doing.  It's been a while since Tropical Freeze.

• 7 months later...

Rumor: Metroid Prime 4 developed with Bandai Namco Singapore & Ridge Racer 8 exclusive to Switch

Also worth mentioning that a lot of the devs who work at Bandai Namco Singapore have come over from LucasFilm and have worked on Star Wars 1313. There's some good devs here.

Detailed a bit more here: https://press-start.com.au/news/nintendo/2018/02/07/suggests-metroid-prime-4-developed-bandai-namco/

It also mentions this:

• Concept Design – Created many design concepts in order to meet Nintendo’s exacting requirements.

• VIP Presentation – Regularly presented pitches, storyboards, design directives, and gameplay to both Nintendo Headquarters and Bandai Namco Entertainment Group.

So yeah, definitely part of the development.

B168C8E1-FE6B-4F8D-ABD9-2BB3403084D4.jpeg

• 11 months later...

Nintendo's highly-anticipated Metroid Prime 4 has been rebooted.

The project, announced via a logo back during Nintendo's E3 presentation in June 2017, will now be restarted from scratch, significantly delaying its release.

Nintendo has also switched development teams, with the original Metroid Prime trilogy developer Retro Studios pulled in to take charge, lead by the trilogy's producer Kensuke Tanabe.

In a statement sure to stun fans expecting a very different kind of developer update - or even a release date - Nintendo exec Shinya Takahashi today said the company had taken the rare decision to restart the game as it had "not reached the standard we seek in a sequel to the Metroid Prime series".

"The current development status is very challenged, and we had to make a difficult decision as a development team," Takahashi said in a video statement, embedded below. "We have decided to re-examine the development structure itself and change it."

"We did not make this decision lightly," Takahashi continued. "This change will essentially mean restarting development from the beginning, so the completion of the game will be delayed from our initial internal plan."We strongly recognise that this delay will come as a disappointment to the many fans who have been looking forward to the launch of Metroid Prime 4.

"I'd like to extend my deepest, heart-felt apologies to everyone that the launch will be delayed. It will be a long road until the next time we will be able to update you on the development progress, and development time will be extensive.

"However, we will continue developing the game so that when it is completed, it will stand shoulder to shoulder with past Metroid Prime titles."

Bound to be disappointing,but also commendable. So many companies go “Sod it,it’ll get sorted with updates”. 

But they know people have high hopes, and want to do something that does the name justice.

And although delays are a pain,it’s not as if there’s nothing else to play to tide over time til it’s ready.