passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Ori and the Will of the Wisps

radiofloyd

Stylish fantasy metroidvania Ori and the Blind Forest is getting a sequel, Ori and the Will of the Wisps.

Revealed at Microsoft's E3 press conference, this follow-up will come to Xbox One and Windows 10 as an Xbox Play Anywhere title.

"Embark on an all new adventure to discover the mysteries beyond the forest of Nibel, uncover the hidden truths of those lost, and unravel Ori's true destiny," developer Moon Studios teased of its impending adventure.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-06-11-ori-sequel-looks-absolutely-phenomenal

• 1 year later...

Lot of boss encounters shown in that trailer. I can’t really remember the boss battles in the original Ori but I guess they were there, I certainly remember a few long escape sequences that I hated and that gave me blisters on my fingers. But it does look beautiful. A bit like the FFVII trailer, not much downtime shown...

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just saw that there is a CE of this exclusive at Game

ENhYtHWWwAAAccq.jpg

WilloftheWispsCE.jpg

Ori and the Will of the Wisps Collector’s Edition includes:
  • A game disc
  • The Art of Ori and the Will of the Wisps book (English only)
  • the Piano Collections Soundtrack CD
  • Iconic golden feather SteelBook® Case
  • Original Soundtrack music MP3 download**

Hmm...I’ve really gotten out of the CE stuff over the last couple of years (With exceptions), but I do have a £40 voucher I got as a present so maybe this is for me.

• 1 month later...

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-02-26-ori-and-the-will-of-the-wisps-is-a-triple-a-2d-metroidvania

The first - and perhaps most important to those that have played through the original - is to the combat. Blind Forest's combat was a strangely detached affair, by the producer's own admission. "The first Ori was really predominantly a platforming game at its heart," says Microsoft Studio's Dan Smith. "Exploration was definitely high up there, but I'd say combat was a little piece of that pie."

That's certainly not the case here - within minutes you're introduced to a much more direct form of combat as you wield a melee weapon, and soon after you'll also have a ranged bow and arrow with precision aim (which quickly ties into some deliciously tactile puzzles). It's all part of an enhanced physicality to it all - something which played a part in the first Ori, but is now more pronounced as you clamber around gloriously realised environments with your gloriously animated avatar. It feels sublime.

"You're now able to, on the fly, pick a lot of different abilities," says Smith. "The other thing that's very different is that we've really like sort of levelled the skill tree system. We had a more or less linear skill tree in Blind Forest. If you wanted something that was five ticks up, you had to invest in the first four spirit shards of really kind of like flattened the playground there. The rate with which you find the shards, you can freely equip them at any time, even in mid combo, you can go in and respec yourself, and then also give yourself a different layout of weapons and abilities. It's really offering this much deeper contextual layer of customisation for players."

Perhaps the most fundamental change, though, isn't necessarily the most obvious one. "Technically, the original Ori was a traditional 2D game," explains Smith. "Yeah, we had 3D models, we animated them we exported and imported 2D sprites into the game. We've gone with a full 3D pipeline now. And that's really given us a lot. I'd say first and foremost, Blind Forest was a 60 frames per second game, but the character animations themselves were 30 - now we have 60 frames per second character animations as well."

Out 2 weeks today. Getting excited now.

• 2 weeks later...

Reckon it’s worth playing the 1st, 1st? Got this downloading and I’d like to be involved in the chat with this one but worried I might miss out on some stuff if I don’t play the previous one 1st. Whether gameplay or story related. Plus don’t want to burn myself out on the 1st one and then never play this 

1 hour ago, mfnick said:

Reckon it’s worth playing the 1st, 1st? Got this downloading and I’d like to be involved in the chat with this one but worried I might miss out on some stuff if I don’t play the previous one 1st. Whether gameplay or story related. Plus don’t want to burn myself out on the 1st one and then never play this 

There is a new character in the sequel that comes from the events of the first game but at the same time I don’t think the story is all that important. All those people that would say things like “This game made me cry in the first 5 minutes” and that sort of stuff, meh. I never really got invested in the happenings at all.

But maybe the sequel will have a lot more story, I dunno.

That being said I recommend the first game completely. It is so, so good. And from what I’ve seen of the sequel it’s more expansive in every single way so I don’t think one will cause burn out of the other. Obviously they will share fundamentals but the second game takes things so much further I think playing the first game is actually good prep.

Having said that, though, be ready to die a lot. Everyone seems to be taken a back by just how hard the first game is so don’t expect to be an easy, casual, platformer. It’s probably gonna kick your ass a little bit as you get used to it. Good prep!

Also everyone should experience the Ginso Tree it’s an amazing moment and probably the highlight of the game where all the game’s best qualities come together brilliantly.

Also @mfnick I’m playing through the first game at the moment and having a blast with it. Would definitely recommend it! I don’t think you need to play it before the 2nd game but the 2nd gaming coming out shortly spurred me into trying to finish it (started it in 2019 then dropped it after 4 hours) before the 2nd game drops. It’s on Game Pass so you can give it a go with no strings attached. 

DF weighs in

Think I might wait for a couple weeks to see if it gets patched for better performance. Frame rate doesn’t sound to bad for me, but the pauses and longer loading times sounds kind of crazy. The game is all about fluid motion and fast paced action so it seems like a massive oversight to get that wrong. As well as the loading on retries not being instant. That’s a big + the first game has and eases frustration because you don’t have to wait at all to try again. 

• 4 weeks later...