passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Anthem

DisturbedSwan

I will be on this today at some point, probably in about an hour or two. Got most of today for just playing this, although having woken up and read the impressions I dont have any enthusiasm to play a ton of it, which isnt a particularly great endorsement for the game.

I'm not not enjoying it, it's fine, I've played with randoms a few times now and it's ok, your character feels a bit more uniquely yours than in Destiny, and that should become more apparent with more slots. It's got the Destiny problem of sending you to the same places, it's also more confusing than Destiny for fairly trivial things. Like Sly, I'd done a mission before I realised I could alter things, needing to correct stuff seems to be impossible during a mission, so when it set me to a new javelin with no loadout I had to quit to the menu, similarly when you realise the sub weapons you've equipped aren't actually any good you can't do anything about it

I get, for whatever reason, it's a problem with these types of games, but Anthem is just slow and cumbersome, both as a game and getting through it. I can understand it from the MMO standpoint, cynical as it is, but things like backing out of a game because the game has tricked you in to playing public when you selected private, or you've just selected the wrong thing because the menus are unclear. You have to wait for too long for the next mission icon to pop up, the landscape isn't empty, but it still feels like a trudge to get from one point to the next, movement is slow, flying is slow, levelling is slow

I don't mind the combat though, it could maybe do with making it a bit clearer as to when you're subweapons are ready, just a ding or a pulse, they're actually the thing that moves surprisingly quickly, you aren't waiting long for them

I just played it for five hours, most of that with Sambob. It was crazy. First we played the mission on normal, slogged our way to the boss only for the game to crash during the boss fight. So no reward, nothing.

Then we started all over again, doing the same mission on easy, although rather than being any easier this time it took us twice as long to get back to the boss. 

Against the boss, one guy died almost straight away and he couldnt he resurrected so we were fighting him for ages with just 3 people. Then the game crashed again and I and the other random guy got kicked, I think Sam you were fighting the boss on your own? I had to swim through a water tunnel to get back to you but I couldn’t see shit and I couldn’t figure it out, the guy with me was just lobbing grenades repeatedly at a door that wouldn’t open. And then the game crashed again so I said fuck it. Again no reward.

So basically I got nothing for playing the game for five hours and it crashed twice during the boss fight and a third time when I was trying to get back to the boss fight. So I still haven’t unlocked one of the other Javelins to try.

The game is cool but it’s chaotic. I’m not sure what the story is with the difficulty level and if the bare bones default Javelin I was using was appropriate for that mission. The swimming in the dark is awful, just awful. Just kept crashing into walls over and over again. 

As far as mission objectives and UI go it’s not super clear where you’re supposed to be going and what you’re supposed to be doing. We appeared to completing the mission objectives but all I was doing was shooting enemies. It would probably have made sense for the four of us to stay together but everyone seemed to be warping around doing their own thing. It’s definitely a game that you need a microphone for lol, sorry Sam!

My eyes are swimming in my head now and my brain is frazzled but I did enjoy playing the game, but as an introduction it’s chaotic as hell lol. If ever a game needed to ease you in gently.

Away from all the action, wondering around the home base was weird. Comparing it something like The Witcher where everything in the world is alive, most of it appears to be just window dressing. I don’t really mind that, but the conversations that were in the game were weird. It’s like when you watch a movie and it’s clear that the audio is a studio recording, that the actors are just lip syncing, Anthem is like that. There is a bit of a disconnect between the characters within the world, and the dialogue audio. And the pacing of the audio/dialogue is off too, like it’s not very natural. I’m not quite sure what BioWare were going for here.

The characters themselves are unusual. Everyone seems to have a different (real world) accent. And the game is obviously trying hard to be inclusive, literally the first NPCs I walked past were a gay couple (well it was two men, and the subtitles labeled them Stricken Soldier and Concerned Husband, something like that). The bartender character also appears to gay. Gay or straight, that whole conversation with him was pretty ridiculous. But all of that is largely irrelevant to the core action of the game anyway.

But I’m happy to go again if anyone is on today or tomorrow. I’ll try to buy a mic in the morning while you lot are sleeping. 

I might play again later on but if it does that wanky disconnecting thing then I'm out. I guess nothing you do in the demo will carry over anyway, but still, doing 4 hours of the same mission and getting literally nothing is stupid. 

I liked the game when we all sort of accidentally worked together, combos seem to be the way forward, but because it just tells you nothing, I feel like there will be lots of parts of the game where your parties loadout will be redundant? playing as a collosus on that bit where it was sooo open and there were hundreds of enemies was stupid and made the tank class feel incredibly feeble. I was just getting battered about from distance and it made it virtually impossible to be effective as a tank in close situations. I ended up just jetting directly to each remote threat one by one and I basically needed somebody to fly about with me like a little Sambot engineer fixing me everytime I ran out of ink or got a paper jam. 

Don't even get me started on the fucking water sections, what on earth were they thinking with that, did they play test it even once? 

The fighting is such a mixed bag, you need to know what your sub weapons are but even then sometimes they are just shit. The most effective damage I was doing was alternating between shotgunning things right in the face and then doing a massive ground pound, it was doing double or triple the amount of damage my sub weapons were. Is that because that's what the collosus is for or is it because the sub weapons are shit? Fuck knows, no indication either way. 

My Sambot looks cool as fuck though, definitely not what whoever made the colossus would approve of but it looks amazing. Like an Easter egg but a really really fancy one. 

There is a good game buried amongst all the shit here, I think this will be something that I pick up after a few months when it's plummeted in price and everyone has dog piled it and then they sort stuff out. 

you missed nothing, it was absolute shit. Not sure if Sam was just not accepting my party invite but there was no voice chat. We got lost in the water tunnels, then when we got to the boss I got a blue screen error (the frame rate was in the teens I reckon for a lot of it), I loaded back in but it started me outside of the boss fight and the door in to it was locked