Blakey

Anthem

14 hours ago, DANGERMAN said:

I hope he actually does back up his arguments. Jeff's criticism, for all his reputation as a critic, usually stops at "____ feels like garbage"  "____ is HOT GARBAGE". I honestly can't remember the last time I heard him give any thoughtful criticism about a game

Yes, he's become very lazy at articulating what he thinks is wrong with a game.

I would like to know why he felt like God of War had bad hit feedback for instance. He did the same thing there that you're saying during the goty talks.

Altho they can be very hand-wringy with some of their takes I think the guys at Waypoint are the best internet critics out there right now.

Not a good look spitting the dummy out because you spent loads of money co-marketing a mediocre game.

I mean that is a key part of the game, but like I said back when the demo was live, I had no idea what a combo was until Small explained it to me. If the game does a bad job of telling you how the mechanics work then you can't complain when people don't know what it is.

Is that spitting your dummy out though?... I get that he has to be careful with his comments if he had something to do with the game but surely he's allowed a personal opinion?

I saw this in a review

"It’s a hollow experience that’s been designed to appeal to the widest market possible while squeezing more money out of those who are hooked in by its doggy treat design."

Damn, that sums up pretty well why I give these service based games a wide berth. When the whole gameplay loop is so based around loot and upgrades it burns you out after a while. Progressing for progressions sake and only occasionally getting to see new game features in a new raid.

One thing I’ve seen numerous people complain about is the massive grind-fest of the Thrones story mission,with requirements such as get so many kills,multi kills,chests,collectibles etc. Which is made worse due to them not being activated for the entire team. So if one person opens a chest,it only counts for them. 

Apparently they’re aware of it,and will fix it in an upcoming patch. But it seems pretty stupid that they thought that was an acceptable idea in the first place.

I generally like this guy & his review is scathing.  Good in depth review & backs up his opinions.

I've not played it but at the moment can't see myself picking this up.  Will probably wait & invest my time  in The Division 2.

Despite the average reviews, i'm still looking forward to it. I had more fun in the demo (and more playtime) than I did in both Red Dead 2 which most critics heralded as the second coming of gaming. 

Time will tell if they manage to polish it out enough to become the game everyone was expecting, but seeing how quickly Bioware are reacting to player issues gives me hope.

That review buries the game so hard that its basically already crude oil. Its a very comprehensive review as well, even if I disagreed with it, the points are very well conveyed and its hard to argue once the review is finished. Definitely going to take more notice of those guys before, first time ive heard of them.

The day one patch (on Xbox at least) weighs in at 7.5gb, for those interested.

Actually, scratch that... I suppose some of that maybe the enhancement patch, I always forget that isn't in the disc.

22 minutes ago, Sambob said:

That review buries the game so hard that its basically already crude oil. Its a very comprehensive review as well, even if I disagreed with it, the points are very well conveyed and its hard to argue once the review is finished. Definitely going to take more notice of those guys before, first time ive heard of them.

His reviews are always like that, like you say even if you don't agree he puts his points across well & details why he thinks that.  I did think he maybe compared it to Bio-ware's past work a bit too much but I guess that is what is going to happen when as a company you have built you games around world & story building.

He often revisits games a long time later as well to see how they've changed & does re-review.  His got another channel Layman Gaming which is a bit more lighthearted with his brother who can be fairly annoying.

As much as I'm happy when a game I like gets a good score the only reviewer who's worth a damn in the long run is myself...

And I'll say now before someone jumps down my throat, I never base a purchase on reviews.

Oh, and this isn't some sort of veiled attack on people who do enjoy watching that kind've stuff either...👍

Never heard of Skill Up,but that was a well argued review,certainly interesting.

People will enjoy Anthem,avoiding a game completely due to reviews is never a good idea. I’ll rent it at some point,but am in no rush to,due to not feeling hyped about the game at all. It’ll be interesting to see what happens further down the line. Will it get improved through updates. Or will EA throw BioWare under the bus? Probably not,but they need this to be a success,to at least delay the axe that EA throws around abundantly.

Oh definitely I would ever buy a game based on reviews as a lot of games that review well aren't for me in the slightest & some that get dragged through the dirt I love.  Just like to get an idea from a few places what people are thinking, especially if they are well argued & fairly in depth.

Anthem was never one I was going to pick up early as I don't really have the time & it didn't really peak my interest.  I do hope it does well for the sake of Bio-ware as I wouldn't want EA to close down another talented developer.  I am a bit worried for them at the moment especially with how well Apex Legends has been received even though it is a total different game.  I'm sure I'll give Anthem ago at some point when it's cheap or on EA Access.

I like Skill Up but sometimes he can contradict himself. Just there he was on about the loot not meaning anything. Division was the same, plus it was unclear what some of the stats did and even harder to test because some of them were flat out broken. When that game came out the guns were pretty much interchangeable right up until the end and then unless you had the Vector, the Navy MP5 or some sniper rifle I forget the name of everything else was fucking junk. Even those  drops varied in quality because you had so many options for rolls that it was entirely feasible to get a junk roll as it was a god roll. Yeah, the numbers went up, but none of it was interesting or involving. It wasn't until they added the sets where things got intriguing.

I felt the same with Destiny 1 as well. It was either the Regime before it got nerfed, the Thorn and the Ice Breaker. There was a lot of interchangeable stuff but I don't remember the names. History repeated itself with Destiny 2. Loads of loot, nearly all of it mostly chaff.

It's going to be no different for Anthem, nor the upcoming Division 2. It takes a while for those loot drops to bed down.

One thing that does bug me regarding loot drops, and the guy from Giant Bomb touched upon this. I hate how these games do the whole white> green> blue> purple thing based on the levels you're at. Do it like Diablo and Borderlands does it. You can get any colour off any drop. If a purple or orange drops it's excitement time. You can't get excited when 95% or what's dropping is purple and you're just going to fuck it off. The whole gating loot quality by the level you are is stupid.

If I could be bothered I'd write a loot game 101 to go along with that controller and Elder Scrolls threads I keep promising myself I might get around to.

I got the ‘Day 1’ patch installed shortly before I played last night.

It has definitely improved load times and I haven’t got the entire base glitching out every time I’m walking through it so far, so that’s good.

Can’t really be more comprehensive than that as I was pulled off it after 1 mission to play Apex.

64% average from 11 critic reviews on Metacritic

61% average from 26 critic refiews on OpenCritic