passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Anthem

DisturbedSwan

22 minutes ago, Sambob said:

That review buries the game so hard that its basically already crude oil. Its a very comprehensive review as well, even if I disagreed with it, the points are very well conveyed and its hard to argue once the review is finished. Definitely going to take more notice of those guys before, first time ive heard of them.

His reviews are always like that, like you say even if you don't agree he puts his points across well & details why he thinks that.  I did think he maybe compared it to Bio-ware's past work a bit too much but I guess that is what is going to happen when as a company you have built you games around world & story building.

He often revisits games a long time later as well to see how they've changed & does re-review.  His got another channel Layman Gaming which is a bit more lighthearted with his brother who can be fairly annoying.

Never heard of Skill Up,but that was a well argued review,certainly interesting.

People will enjoy Anthem,avoiding a game completely due to reviews is never a good idea. I’ll rent it at some point,but am in no rush to,due to not feeling hyped about the game at all. It’ll be interesting to see what happens further down the line. Will it get improved through updates. Or will EA throw BioWare under the bus? Probably not,but they need this to be a success,to at least delay the axe that EA throws around abundantly.

Oh definitely I would ever buy a game based on reviews as a lot of games that review well aren't for me in the slightest & some that get dragged through the dirt I love.  Just like to get an idea from a few places what people are thinking, especially if they are well argued & fairly in depth.

Anthem was never one I was going to pick up early as I don't really have the time & it didn't really peak my interest.  I do hope it does well for the sake of Bio-ware as I wouldn't want EA to close down another talented developer.  I am a bit worried for them at the moment especially with how well Apex Legends has been received even though it is a total different game.  I'm sure I'll give Anthem ago at some point when it's cheap or on EA Access.

I like Skill Up but sometimes he can contradict himself. Just there he was on about the loot not meaning anything. Division was the same, plus it was unclear what some of the stats did and even harder to test because some of them were flat out broken. When that game came out the guns were pretty much interchangeable right up until the end and then unless you had the Vector, the Navy MP5 or some sniper rifle I forget the name of everything else was fucking junk. Even those  drops varied in quality because you had so many options for rolls that it was entirely feasible to get a junk roll as it was a god roll. Yeah, the numbers went up, but none of it was interesting or involving. It wasn't until they added the sets where things got intriguing.

I felt the same with Destiny 1 as well. It was either the Regime before it got nerfed, the Thorn and the Ice Breaker. There was a lot of interchangeable stuff but I don't remember the names. History repeated itself with Destiny 2. Loads of loot, nearly all of it mostly chaff.

It's going to be no different for Anthem, nor the upcoming Division 2. It takes a while for those loot drops to bed down.

One thing that does bug me regarding loot drops, and the guy from Giant Bomb touched upon this. I hate how these games do the whole white> green> blue> purple thing based on the levels you're at. Do it like Diablo and Borderlands does it. You can get any colour off any drop. If a purple or orange drops it's excitement time. You can't get excited when 95% or what's dropping is purple and you're just going to fuck it off. The whole gating loot quality by the level you are is stupid.

If I could be bothered I'd write a loot game 101 to go along with that controller and Elder Scrolls threads I keep promising myself I might get around to.

I got the ‘Day 1’ patch installed shortly before I played last night.

It has definitely improved load times and I haven’t got the entire base glitching out every time I’m walking through it so far, so that’s good.

Can’t really be more comprehensive than that as I was pulled off it after 1 mission to play Apex.

64% average from 11 critic reviews on Metacritic

61% average from 26 critic refiews on OpenCritic

Well I hoped, despite signs otherwise, that this would at least have a good story or the game would expand a bit more. 

I've got my copy. I did think about cancelling as it seemed shallow, even more so than your usual looter release. But I did play all of them day one, so thought it only fair to give this the same benefit. I'll play it. It's a favourite genre of mine. 

I think people expected lessons learned from other peers on the do's and don'ts. Where the likes of Destiny and the Division are into their second term and looking better, this only exacerbates Anthems problem. 

Shame. 

7 hours ago, Nag said:

Your game's pretty much the exception to the rule if that isn't the case nowadays.

I can’t think of any Nintendo game that released as broken as this and others. At most they have minor bug fixes but even then it’s largely unnoticed and not a day one panic. The only one that comes to mind is smash bros but even then it’s specific conditional bugs. 

• 2 weeks later...