passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Anthem

DisturbedSwan

5 hours ago, DANGERMAN said:

I hope he actually does back up his arguments. Jeff's criticism, for all his reputation as a critic, usually stops at "____ feels like garbage"  "____ is HOT GARBAGE". I honestly can't remember the last time I heard him give any thoughtful criticism about a game

This is one of the many reasons I stopped paying them any attention. I actually feel a little ashamed that they're held up on a pedestal for our hobby, as critics or mouthpieces they don't hold a candle to even average critics over in film or music.

21 minutes ago, DANGERMAN said:

the shame about it is that after the demo I said that was the thing it had going for it, it felt like you could spec your javelin to a more personal taste than in Destiny. Sounds like that stuff is all post the end of the game

This.

I've just finished Spider-Man and there aren't many games out there that have a nailed a character quite like Insomniac have. I truly felt like I was Spidey in that game, swinging through a wonderfully realised city, kicking butt.

WIth games like the Division, the immersion came for being able to create my own character and go through the Story that way, making them look individual from the other players I came across. Even Destiny would drop gear that I could customise to my liking with shaders and combinations.

Anthem really needs to make this part work too as the last thing you need is every Javelin looking the same for the most of the game.

14 hours ago, DANGERMAN said:

I hope he actually does back up his arguments. Jeff's criticism, for all his reputation as a critic, usually stops at "____ feels like garbage"  "____ is HOT GARBAGE". I honestly can't remember the last time I heard him give any thoughtful criticism about a game

Yes, he's become very lazy at articulating what he thinks is wrong with a game.

I would like to know why he felt like God of War had bad hit feedback for instance. He did the same thing there that you're saying during the goty talks.

Altho they can be very hand-wringy with some of their takes I think the guys at Waypoint are the best internet critics out there right now.

I mean that is a key part of the game, but like I said back when the demo was live, I had no idea what a combo was until Small explained it to me. If the game does a bad job of telling you how the mechanics work then you can't complain when people don't know what it is.

I saw this in a review

"It’s a hollow experience that’s been designed to appeal to the widest market possible while squeezing more money out of those who are hooked in by its doggy treat design."

Damn, that sums up pretty well why I give these service based games a wide berth. When the whole gameplay loop is so based around loot and upgrades it burns you out after a while. Progressing for progressions sake and only occasionally getting to see new game features in a new raid.

One thing I’ve seen numerous people complain about is the massive grind-fest of the Thrones story mission,with requirements such as get so many kills,multi kills,chests,collectibles etc. Which is made worse due to them not being activated for the entire team. So if one person opens a chest,it only counts for them. 

Apparently they’re aware of it,and will fix it in an upcoming patch. But it seems pretty stupid that they thought that was an acceptable idea in the first place.

I generally like this guy & his review is scathing.  Good in depth review & backs up his opinions.

I've not played it but at the moment can't see myself picking this up.  Will probably wait & invest my time  in The Division 2.

Despite the average reviews, i'm still looking forward to it. I had more fun in the demo (and more playtime) than I did in both Red Dead 2 which most critics heralded as the second coming of gaming. 

Time will tell if they manage to polish it out enough to become the game everyone was expecting, but seeing how quickly Bioware are reacting to player issues gives me hope.

That review buries the game so hard that its basically already crude oil. Its a very comprehensive review as well, even if I disagreed with it, the points are very well conveyed and its hard to argue once the review is finished. Definitely going to take more notice of those guys before, first time ive heard of them.