passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Anthem

DisturbedSwan

Well, after clocking up around fifteen hours of play over the VIP and open demo/betas, I'm still really looking forward to this. It's got it's faults, but there's a lot of transparency from the developers over on the reddit sub and it seems they're taking a lot of criticisms on board. 

My biggest gripes (other than some of the server issues) are the emptiness of free roam - they really need to do more to populate it. The Scar tower is supposedly heavily fortified with anti-air turrets yet you fly by most of these enemy areas and they're devoid of life 90% of the time. The Sunday event added Titans which were nice - the big fuckers put up quite a fight.

Also, it seems to be playing it safe. Enemy and world design seem lifted straight from Destiny, from the Scar - Fallen type enemies with spikey brown bits and four legged robot tanks to the weird black shadow enemies that randomly shift about.

Still, the combat loop was great, and the loot system looks like it's going to massively switch up how you put builds together. It looks like they're gunning for third person space Diablo which i'd be more than happy with. Roll on the 22nd!

The Digital Foundry made for some interesting reading.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2019-anthem-demo-performance-analysis

I was trying to explain to @Whiskey_chaser last night about the frame rates dipping but still being sort of OK. Apparently it's running at 35fps so when it's dipping it feels a bit weird. Some of the dips were a lot worse than they're saying in that article though, there were blips where it would randomly half in speed for a second before recovering.

Looks like Bioware screwed the pooch on the Xbox versions by trying to do 4k.

35fps can feel worse than 30 cause it's not dividing evenly into a 60hz TV refresh rate, or something like this. That's why so much stuff on console is locked at 30 rather than 40 for instance

It's like the frames are being drawn at uneven intervals giving it a jerky jerky feel, and also probably causing some screen tearing as frames are drawn weirdly. This is what I imagine reading those figure anyway, I haven't played this game.

I've got to say I've been pleasantly surprised by the standard of framerates this generation. With a couple of caveats that I don't have an xbox and I mainly play on pc, but when you think back to last gen there was loads of games, especially big ones (Uncharted 3, Far Cry) where the frame rate was poor. This gen, as far as I've seen that's happened less, even after the revamped consoles which I expected to be the bar with the older versions getting worse and worse versions

He means me. My point then is it's not as easy as turning a graphics slider down, that the things that stress performance can be more than just graphics and that it's not useful to mandate minimum 60 if it limits the design possibilities of a game. Lots of games don't need to run at minimum 60.

Really it boils down to the type of game and what's needed for playability and how much needs to be compromised to meet that requirement. But it's not as simple as turning the shadows and textures down sometimes.

Hell even Stormwind in WoW causes FPS dips on modern systems.