passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Anthem

DisturbedSwan

Microsoft closed its Xbox E3 2017 conference with an extended look at Anthem, BioWare's new shared-world action-role-playing game. It launches autumn 2018 on PC, PS4 and Xbox One.

The gameplay looked incredibly impressive, showcasing a vast open-world where you and a team of up to four friends can explore dense jungles and wildernesses, boosting around by jetpack or mech-enhanced-running. The ruins and treasures of a sci-fi world are there for you to find, but so are big beasties and baddies.

There wasn't much of a hint to Anthem's story, but we saw the player character heading out in their exo-suit, named Javelins, which we were told come in various models for different play-styles.

The game's look felt like a mix of Avatar, Destiny and Titanfall - and looked lightyears beyond BioWare's recent Mass Effect Andromeda in terms of technology powering it.

Despite closing Microsoft's conference, there was no word on any sort of exclusivity for the game.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-06-11-biowares-anthem-demoed-gameplay-revealed

This looked fantastic to me. Obviously striking similarities to a certain other game :wub: It's looking precisely what I'm after. Destiny needs good competition and I want more games if it's type. 

It's early days. I remember the reveal of Destiny and it looked so expansive and loot filled. It wasn't quite what was imagined, so I'm keeping my hype in check for now incase this is a similar thing. How open is it? What's the mission variety like? End game? All sorts of questions. It looks fuckin cool though.

Everything @ThreeFour said basically, the more the merrier, it's a big threat to Destiny but I'm happy for it to be better, I'm going to guess that its not console exclusive but will be the opposite of destiny in terms of having timed exclusives for Xbox. 

I'm with @mr lakitu on this, just don't get the hype at all, looked super generic.

A Titanfall-Destiny-Evolve crossover with more shooty bang bangs than a late 19th century town in the American West, zoned out completely.

Also, I'll be flabbergasted if it actually looks like that when it comes out.

It'll be a bit of both. Drop in drop out style of Destiny. You saw four people group up so that may be the squad size for general  play. Seems loot will play a part so imagine they're going for the Destiny thing where the story will serve to set up the end game challenge/loot grind. Plenty of scope to intersperse more story into it which I'm hoping both do but the end game is the focus - plenty of activities and Raids etc with loot rewards.

My guess anyway :wub:

• 7 months later...

Hopefully the kickback they got from SWBFII and loading it with bullshit has scared them into not doing it again and this delay is the reason why it's been pushed back. Not that I'm bothered, it comes when it comes, I'd rather it be good than terrible.

People need to realise that Bioware is just the shell that houses the talent, and talent moves about if it's not happy the way it's being treated. For instance talent moved from Infinity Ward to Respawn. Still got the high quality games but just under a different moniker.

If Bioware gets made another casualty of EA's rampage then so be it.

Would I be sad if Bioware folded? Sure I would. If Anthem is shite and they do end up getting shuttered, then it's probably deserved. Any creative or gifted individuals that went on to be the best part of that studio will find work, and hopefully they'll find work in an environment that allows them to flourish and get shit done to a very high quality without being interfered with too much. It wouldn't surprise me if all the games and game series we've seen fuck up were caused by developers being strong armed or just being done with the topic due to burnout.

There's several series that took a swing as people moved on. DICE might still be DICE, but when Goldfarb left the series got a bit derailed and hasn't really been right since. Readjustments in the development team combined with outside interfering from the publisher can really fuck a project up which can bring the whole house into disrepute.

You know yourself that if work is terrible you get unmotivated or maybe even start half arsing stuff, maybe even looking to jump ship to another job.

If Anthem does turn out to be rubbish, then EA and Bioware are to blame for it. Depending on the levels of fucked depends on who shoulders the most blame.

Exactly, its like a football team, the name is important but the players are the key. The personnel changes often, and a game is only as good as the team that made it and sometimes you get this awesome team and then the game comes out and the team disbands and there arent any guarantees that a sequel will be good, on the flip side a sequel could be way better.

Ultimately the people that are to blame wont go under, and often dont go under and dont give two fucks if anybody else does. Its not a pleasant industry and hasnt been for a long time now.

You'd much rather a good studio not be disbanded because they were too worried and stressed to make something that followed a rule of cash flow rather than quality content. Yeah go elsewhere, make up your own team. Doesn't excuse the source of the problem. 

You only have to look at the small lean towards Eververse to Destiny 2 to see how it drastically it effects the game and how it plays. Now the development team gets hate mail and constant negativity thrown their way. 

But c'est la vie.

That being said I don't remember a really good Bioware game since ME3. Argument to be made the top talent has been working on this and now the others are out, everyone's on this.

You can bet the shitstorm that SWBF2 brought and nose diving of Destiny 2's popularity has affected the development here. Not the sole reason for delay, it's an ambitious project - they get delayed, but definitely affects it. EA want constant cash flow revenue these days. So if you aren't going all in on loot boxes/microstransactions you need bigger DLC plan baby. More time and work.

But the Frost says he's got a good feeling here. This'll be good mark my words. Combat will be a bit janky, never was their strong point, but it will be so bombastic and epic you'll forgive it. Drew Karpyshyn is back on the story so it's in good hands. The graphics look stunning - Digital Foundry pretty much confirmed Xbox X plausibility I think so pro shouldn't be far behind. Gameplay well... we'll have to see. Fuckin Iron Man tho ? and they've seen enough from the likes of Warframe/Division/Destiny to have an idea. I'd be surprised if it launched without issues and was better months down the line like the ones mentioned previous.