passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice

radiofloyd

DmC: Devil May Cry and Enslaved developer Ninja Theory's upcoming psychological horror viking epic Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice is coming to PS4 and PC on 8th August.

Already available for pre-order on PSN, Steam and GOG, Hellblade will launch at the unique price point of £24.99 / €29.99 / $29.99.

If the price seems steep for a self-published independent game or worryingly inexpensive for a AAA blockbuster, there's a reason for that: Ninja Theory considers Hellblade is be an experimental affair with a smaller scope than most retail games but with the sort of high end production values and polish that rival anything on the market. Indeed Hellblade's motion-capture tech is top of the line.

"Our aim is to bring back the mid-size game, so Hellblade is half the size of a AAA game, but sold at half the price," said product development ninja (his actual title) Dominic Matthews.

"By going digital only we can assure that we keep costs low for you, plus more of your money comes directly back to us to reinvest in new games," Matthews explained. "If we can make Hellblade a success, others will follow to make games a richer, more varied place for both gamers and developers."

The developer also noted that Hellblade was made by a smallish team of 20 people, though you'd never know it looking at the game in action.

Our first look at Hellblade in 2015 was cause of concern with our Bertie Purchese being underwhelmed by Ninja Theory's lofty ambition of portraying psychosis in the form of a viking action game, but Hellblade has evolved a lot since then and more recent builds show promise.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-06-06-hellblade-senuas-sacrifice-sets-release-date-and-price

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The perma death save file thing (if you die too many times you will have to start from the beginning) is a bluff.

I quite like that idea and it's not meant to be a long game anyway, but it sounds like this might be this generation's Eternal Darkness in fucking with the player.

• 1 year later...
10 hours ago, Nag said:

To be honest that's the most unSwitch like game ever but enjoy.

Are you saying each console has its own style of game? And that people that liked mario odyssey can’t then switch over to and enjoy hellblade?

I said this somewhere, I thought here but apparently not. Given what the game is and how much how it looks is part of that, I'm a little surprised they're bothering with a Switch port. I thought it was a great game so more people playing it is fine with me, but it does seem like an odd fit for Switch for any number of reasons. No harm in having more stuff like this on there I guess