passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

DisturbedSwan

• 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...

The short version: Very good but better already exists in the game. Get it for free, but don’t pay for it

Too long version: 

Spoiler

The new tracks are out and are mostly good to great. One of them is fantastic. Most of them are good. A couple seem a bit dull. However the problem is that for the most part, even the tracks I like, better versions of them already exist in the game. I was just browsing the old tracks for the names as I never remember wha they’re called and nearly every single track in MK8 and it’s original DLC is a 10/10. I just looked through them and was like wow, actually nearly every track in this game is a banger. 

In this new batch one of the races is a 10/10, where most of the other tracks are like a 8/10. Which normally you would say well that’s pretty good. But it’s more difficult to say that when the game already has 40+ 10/10 tracks in it. You were not short for amazing racing material here already, and the new tracks feel lightweight in comparison. 

For example the new Sky Garden feels like a weaker version of Cloud Top Cruise. Aesthetically very similar but shorter and not as good. Similarly Coconut Mall is like a worse version of Sunshine Airport. It’s actually pretty decent and fun track, but there is already a better version of it.

I played through each cup twice. 50cc and 100cc so far for the record.

The two Mario Kart World Tour tracks are really interesting because the track layout changes per lap. Is that a thing they were doing with the mobile game, then? I never played them, but it’s a neat idea and fun. The only things about these tracks is they’re really short. I suppose because they were from the mobile games so that makes sense. 

The absolute best race is the all new original track they’ve made Ninja Hideaway. Almost like a Sonic level where the whole track has 2-3 layers to it and falling off is easy but also multiple points and short cuts to get back up. Some really fun corners and sneaky air boosts to grab of hops and stuff. Even on a 100cc where the speed is picking up you can feel this is a good track. It also looks nothing like the other levels too. Visually distinct which goes along way.

Since it’s DLC I guess I have two opinions. First MK8 is still one of the best racing games ever made so more of it, even if it’s not as good as what already exists is still a good thing. If you’re a Expansion Pass subscriber as well then it’s effectively free so definitely play it if you can. These are solid new races. 

However as a separate purchase. I mean they’ll be making these tracks for the next 18 months and by the time they’re done they will have doubled the size of the game. So maybe as it’s such a short sample and not the strongest selection of tracks I would say wait. It’s good but you don’t need it. Yet. 

As an aside MK8 is still fucking crazy good and playing on this OLED whoa. I swear the OLED screen takes a B tier console and makes it a S tier console. It just helps the playing experience so much

• 1 month later...

Had a go on the new tracks last night. The tracks I remember were the Paris track, which was a bit confusing the first time you try it, the ninja castle track, and a very colourful track that was themed after one of the Mario games I guess. Everything was pretty fun without being spectacular.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Wave 3 Tracks are now out:

Moon Cup:

Berlin Byways (Mario Kart Tour)

Peach Gardens (Mario Kart DS)

Merry Mountain (Mario Kart Tour)

Rainbow Road (Mario Kart 7)

Rock Cup:

London Loop (Mario Kart Tour)

Boo Lake (Mario Kart: Super Circuit)

Alpine Pass (Mario Kart 7)

Maple Treeway (Mario Kart Wii)

On top of this you can now customise the items that are used in offline multiplayer races and some online modes

https://metro.co.uk/2022/12/07/mario-kart-8-deluxe-booster-course-pass-wave-3-review-17897302/

• 3 months later...

Not sure how this passed by without notice (either here or in the wider gaming press) - but Wave 4 of the dlc tracks came out a couple of weeks ago.

Anyone tried them out yet?

"Fruit Cup:
Tour Amsterdam Drift
GBA Riverside Park
Wii DK Summit
Yoshi’s Island

Boomerang Cup:
Tour Bangkok Rush
DS Mario Circuit
GCN Waluigi Stadium
Tour Singapore Speedway

(And yup, it’s true—Birdo is also joining the race! This marks the first time a character has been added via the Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – Booster Course Pass DLC.)"

I played them.  The new Yoshi's Island course is a stand out and the new version of Waluigi Stadium is another highlight.

Does anyone else have a set character and build?  Because I used to mix it up a lot on the Wii U version but on the Switch I have exclusively used this:

20230331_225319.jpg

The B Dasher from Mario Kart DS is just iconic to me.  I never get out of the thing.  It's a fast build though, 200cc is hard to manage with it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Penultimate MK DLC content is out on 12 July, with 3 new characters and 8 tracks:

"The eight courses being added alongside new drivers Petey Piranha, Wiggler, and Kamek are:

Feather Cup
Athens Dash (Mario Kart Tour)
Daisy Cruiser (Mario Kart: Double Dash)
Moonview Highway (Mario Kart Wii)
Squeaky Clean Sprint (new circuit)

Cherry Cup
Los Angeles Lap (Mario Kart Tour)
Sunset Wilds (Mario Kart Super Circuit)
Koopa Cape (Mario Kart Wii)
Vancouver Velocity (Mario Kart Tour)"

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2023/07/mario-kart-8-deluxe-booster-course-pass-wave-5-arrives-next-week

• 3 months later...