passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

DisturbedSwan

Wasn't sure whether to create a new thread for this or put my thoughts in the original MK8 thread so I'll put my impressions here for the time being, mods can merge with the original thread if they'd rather :)

Been playing quite a lot since I got it on Friday, exclusively Online Race.

Played for 2-3 hours on Friday with the old man, another few hours later in the evening, more the next morning then I played it drunk when I got in last night :lol:

So yeah, haven't been able to put it down for long truth be told, that crack level addictiveness of MK is definitely still here in spades, constantly find myself saying 'just one more race', 'must end the session on a high' and things like that.

Been tougher than expected to get into the swing of things, took me a hell of a long time before I eventually won a race, was usually running 7th-10th (playing it drunk doesn't help things either) but seem to of got better today and have been finishing 1st-4th most of the time.

Not tried the battle mode yet to be honest, don't remember playing it much on the N64 so I'm not sure whether I'll like it or not, will give it a go but race will always been my main priority.

The new tracks are all decent but not overly impressive apart from the Zelda and Excitebike ones, absolutely love the Zelda one with the rupees instead of coins, master sword jump and the little sound effects throughout the course, the others haven't really impressed me though, good but not great, may need to race on them more before I get used to them though.

As far as negatives go, had lots of issues getting disconnected from races, changed my DNS settings and that seems to of rectified the issue, unfortunately I'm not able to join friends games though :( , just gives me a 'couldn't connect to users console' error message so that's been quite annoying.

For me, I picked up the new tracks on the wii u, i feel a bit cheated as I have the game already, but in the handheld mode it's def worth it, managed to convince my oh to play along, first thing she said is it like the wii u I get the television screen and you get the pad....

I'm very suspect of the decision to have the ability to carry two weapon items instead of one. 

Mario Kart is often unfair nonsense but it feels like it gets unbearable more often now. And the new ability to have a third purple drift boost doesn't equalize things enough. 

Yeah. Unsure this is the definitive version. 

I've had problems playing online, spectated Ed for a bit but got booted out before I could get in the game, when it works it's brilliant though. Although like DC says I'm a bit worried about the changes as the Wii u one was so well balanced, but I haven't played enough to comment really. Shame they didn't add stuff like 200cc time trial, and leaderboards. Played a bit of the single player too, it's still good. Not tried the new battle modes yet.

1 hour ago, mr lakitu said:

Merge and add /Deluxe?

Anyway I put only 20 mins into this. As ever it's perfect as it was and then some. On Wii U it looked great but one thing greater is even on my massive telly there's no jaggies to be had as there was before on my 41(?) inch tv. And not only that but there seems to be greater detail. It's completely beautiful.

Session: So I eased in with a 150cc Mushroom Cup GP and won. There were moments I forgot to breath.

The negs: Tried joining @Blakey and got an error along the lines of his room being full. To be expected but the presentation of the error was discouraging and vague. Then I tried Battle Mode online and the game froze and so I had to close it entirely and restart. Then I thought I'd upload my saved race highlights to YouTube but the option has been removed. What the Hell Nintendo. I hope this returns in an update but given the lack of screenshot resolution I wonder if it'd be even worth it. Fix screenshots within the system and have this upload feature return please. 

So its MK8. Karting perfection, multiplayer gold. Upped it's graphics and I can play this bastard anywhere. But there's no escaping these first time disappointing encounters.

Onwards and upwards and against walls and under oceans. 

Fine with me if mods want to merge it :) I wasn't sure what to do when I created the thread as it's kinda a remaster + a few added bits and bobs kind of deal :blush:

The error you got, was it along the lines of 'could not connect to the user's console' because I get the exact same error every time, haven't been able to join any friends games yet :( really fucking annoying.

I'm absolutely loving it, it's probably the best MK/Kart racing game I've ever played, and it's definitely in my top 5 racing games of all time already, I just can't get enough of it, even playing Persona earlier I was just thinking about Mario Kart the entire time, imagining all the new Kart setups etc. that I could try to try to get an edge on the opposition.

Originally I was Luigi + City Tripper + Standard tyres, then switched to Waluigi + City Tripper + Standard tyres, tweaked this setup a bit to Waluigi + Mach-8 + Roller tyres which I was doing very well with for quite some time until I got put in a few higher ranked matches with 3000-4000+ folks in it, got my arse handed to me and switched to a Shy Guy + Teddy Kart + Roller combo which I've been doing incredibly well with ever since.

Probably shouldn't give those recommendations seeing as we'll probably get a Tourney setup at some point, but hey, I'm a nice guy what can I say :wub:^_^

9 hours ago, mr lakitu said:

I forgot to mention that the hd rumble is great. It's the same step up as audio is from mono to stereo. I wouldn't be surprised if the next Sony and Microsoft pads had separate rumbles in each left and right grips. The transitions between rumble strengths really add to the experience. 

I find the trigger rumble in the Xbox One controller to be just as good, especially playing something like Forza. They're separate rumbles as well? 

Played this online for about an hour just now. Played against players in the same region so everyone was Japanese except me (it's cool that it shows your flag). The best that I did was 6th but it was great fun.

5 hours ago, radiofloyd said:

Played this online for about an hour just now. Played against players in the same region so everyone was Japanese except me (it's cool that it shows your flag). The best that I did was 6th but it was great fun.

Just out of interest does it show the flag of the region you're in (Japan) of the Irish flag due to the region your account is set to?

It also automatically converts the language to your system language. When I played with Lakitu everything he said appeared in Japanese.

Mario Kart is very easy to play in Japanese, as you would expect I guess...

On 07/05/2017 at 7:46 PM, mr lakitu said:

I can answer that. It showed him as being in Ireland. 

15 hours ago, radiofloyd said:

It also automatically converts the language to your system language. When I played with Lakitu everything he said appeared in Japanese.

Mario Kart is very easy to play in Japanese, as you would expect I guess...

Ah OK nice, cheers for the info.

These god damn Japanese Mario Karters are killing me. Keep coming in the bottom three. Today my score went from nearly 1050 to just over 900. Tomorrow I'll sink into the 800s for sure, and keep sinking... Lots of players have scores of 3-4000, I saw one person yesterday with a score of over 7000!

Once I was in first place, on the third lap of a race, but I still finished 9th...

I love this game though, it's so much fun. Playing online is a good way to learn the shortcuts as you can watch the people in front of you, although I've still only discovered a fraction of them.

The Japanese do seem to be godlike in this @radiofloyd so I feel for you, I've been doing pretty well myself, up to 3198 Rank and started to hit my skill wall I think, think I only finished 2nd and 3rd once today the rest of the time I was coming 9th and worse, played with some 4000-6000 ranks today, they definitely don't mess about.

May need to come up with a new Kart combination again as my current ones aren't working so well anymore.