passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Persona 5

spatular

• 1 month later...

I've been hankering for a jRPG recently and have had my eye on Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana, but after seeing this in the PSN sale thought i'd give it a go. Wow - absolutely love it. My first Persona game so wasn't entirely sure what to expect, but am completely gripped. Am only about five hours in, but the story has already gone to some dark places. I'm really enjoying the battle system as well. I never got my head around the weird systems in place in FF15 so it's nice to go back to a solid turn based system.

Looks like I'm going to have to be on the lookout for a vita now, so I can give Persona 4 a go (and Ys VIII).

Hit the twenty hour mark at the weekend - second palace complete. Absolutely sailed through it, still have six days left before the deadline so plenty of time to work on my contacts and raising a few points. The palace design is ace, they're so much fun to explore and I love the push your luck aspect that comes into play once you start running low on SP points.

• 5 months later...

I've gone back to this over the past week, splitting my time with SMT Strange Journey Redux. when I left this I was a bit disappointed with it, the combat is fine, it's a Shin Megami game and it plays like one, my problem with it was that the story was a bit tame and after school adventure pals, and the game stops you from doing the social link stuff, which is what makes it a Persona game.

When I stopped I think I'd just got to the first save room of the 2nd dungeon, I'm now halfway through the 4th. That 2nd dungeon is when it starts to let you loose a bit, having 4 characters, starting to pick up some interesting personas, you free time is kind of yours, particularly once you finish the dungeon. The story is still safer than Persona 4, and tonally Persona 3, but at least the characters are getting there, Morgana (the cat) can fuck off,  but everyone else is fairly likable, even if they are just archetypes.

Anyway, I'm 60 hours in, and I've been saying it's a lot easier than Shin Megami Tensei (any of the main or other side franchises), and it is, it's easier than I remember Persona 4 being, but in the 4th dungeon I've been wiped out a couple of times losing decent progress because the save rooms are limited, going back to the nearest one reset all the enemies, and I don't have a single enemy psychic attack, just one that burns 10sp.

Actually that is a criticism I'd still level at Persona 5, it has too many elements. SMT games arguably all have a couple too may, but the rest of your party only having one type available to them means you can be juggling too many or simply not having what you need available. I am enjoying it though, I want to finish it, but realistically, I'm not sure how many times I'll want to go through the same loop before needing a break from it

• 4 weeks later...

blimey this game just keeps going and going and going.

I think I'm right at the end, more or less, but by this point I've fought 3 final bosses over the past 20 hours so who knows. I am still enjoying it, I've got some really strong Persona now, not as powerful as my demons from SMT4, but pretty high. 

There's a perk you pick up that sometimes lets you avoid fights if you ambush the enemy. Instead of fighting you rip their mask off and add them to your party, if you have space. This only works for lower level monsters, which means you're avoiding fights you'd easily win (saves time I suppose), fills your slots up with weak demons you've already got rid of, and you don't get the experience or money you'd get if you fought. It's a bit of a shit skill.

In the same way, I wish you could make demons without having to have them in your party like you can in other SMT games. There's some demons you'd need to have 6 of the required demons to make, they should just let you make them in/from your compendium

Finally done. It's the Ghostbusters 2 of video games but I ended up really enjoying it. Not entirely sure what I'm going to do with my days now I'm not devoting them to getting through this

After all the build up the last boss was fairly easy. When I posted yesterday I still had a few sub-bosses to go. I kept going back to the start of the area to heal up and save (it's not a big area and there's no save spot other than right outside the final boss), so I probably ended up really overlevelled, but that's half the joy of rpgs some times, that you get to fuck up the big bad and shrug off their most powerful attacks. 

I managed to make a level 92 persona, which isn't too bad. Having seen the end I wish I'd managed to get a couple more people from their level 9 confidant to 10, but the structure of that stuff gets in the way too often.

Anyway, 150 hours later and I was still enjoying it, but I'm not in a hurry for another Persona. I'd say another rpg, but Dragon Quest comes out soon, I've for Strange Journey on the go, and I might finally buy the new Ys on Switch

• 10 months later...

Started this today. Played as far as finishing the first school day. First impressions are wow, this game is going to be addictive. The animation and music are the immediate standouts. Pretty sure I’m going to love it. 

I played around 30 hours of 4 back in 2009 when I was in college, but I had to study for exams and never went back to it. I did love it though. One of my flat mates who only ever played FIFA absolutely loved it too and I think he even finished it, or got much further than me.

I played around 20 hours of 3 back in 2016, not long before I came to Japan. I had a bit too much going on to continue with it, but I was enjoying it. 

I’ve always loved jrpgs, but I’m only now catching up on the PS4 generation.

Coincidentally I started watching a Let’s Play of 5, like, yesterday or something and the person playing had never heard of the series before and they were immediately blown away by all the great things the series does so well. I really enjoyed 5 but my experience was a bit diluted after the previous games. But I think if you haven’t played much of these before then you’re going to have an even better time with this like the Let’s Player

From what I read not playing the others helps 5. I’ve never played any others and 5 is probably my standout game this gen now. I hardly ever play JRPGs anymore either and can’t rmember the last time I spent 80+ hours on a story led game. 

Yeah, I think if you haven’t played a Persona game before than 5 is a real eye opener. 

The director of the series resigned after 5 which I think is actually a very good thing because as much as I loved 5, it’s really great, each successive game has suffered from diminishing returns. Hopefully with 6 or whatever it ends up being they can keep what makes the series cool while giving it a refresh at the same time.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

I started this (Royal) sometime last week, think I'm around 20 hours in now... finished the first Palace and just up to the first exam week... it's a lot to take in isn't it! I played Persona 4 Golden on Vita and I know this is similar but I still consider myself kind've a Persona virgin, I didn't even see the good ending in that game, I think it's the time management that's fucking with my head the most.

Wasn't sure I'd be able to get in to this playing on a huge display in the living room, it's the first JRPG I've played like that for a very long time but I've been sucked down the rabbit hole with this thing... so far the combat seems manageable (playing normal) I can see things changing there pretty rapidly though... looking forward to putting in many more hours.