Sign in to follow this  
Blakey

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Disclaimer: The tease below could be Tenchu or a new IP as well.

This needs to happen just to give people speculating and digging a break from all the cryptic imagery. They'll be so pissed off if it's anything but Bloodborne 2 at this point.

New rumour/leak from ERA

All I will say is from all the evidence and from an angle that I can't fully speculate anymore is that it's not called Kuon 2, but yeah, it's Kuon 2 basically.

I know a lot of people want it to be Bloodborne, but there's a lot of readily available information out there to show it's not, from the words of Miyazaki himself to a confirmed insider here on ResetEra directly saying it isn't. I know people want to believe, but when you're plugging your ears and not listening to the creator of the series and a confirmed insider, you're just dreaming then.

I know Kuon will seem like a stretch to some people, and that's fine. But I will say it's... I'll choose the words 'very probably,' though I want to say more, that it's a new entry to Kuon how Demon Soul's was a new entry to King's Field essentially.

I really shouldn't probably say anything, and I can't really prove I know anything, but I had two different discussions with two different people at two very different perods of time who both essentially told me the same thing; it's an open world game with very strong horror elements set in ancient Japan that's essentially a reimagining of Kuon.

I googled the meaning of the word Kuon. 

The game’s kanji is 九怨 which means “nine grudges”.

The Wikipedia page says 九怨 (Eternity). If you google “kuon” in Japanese, the word eternity will come up (久遠) which is usually read as “kyuuen”  but as you can see the kanji are totally different.

Maybe the person who wrote the Wikipedia page simply googled the word without checking the kanji.

However on top of that, there is also a kanji 仇 (meaning enemy, revenge, grudge, fued etc apparently) which really resembles the 九  meaning “nine”, so I’m not sure if 九怨 or 仇怨 is the correct title.

I’ll have to investigate further....

Edit: According to the Japanese Wikipedia page:

https://ja.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/九怨

The title is definitely 九怨.which means “nine grudges”, so I think the translation of “Eternity” on the English Wikipedia page is a mistake.

Yeah, it was like a PS1 horror game from From, super niche @Nag but from the rumours and now Keighley's teasing it's looking this could be a spiritual successor to that.

I've never heard of Kuon but the PS2 game looks like a Resident Evil - like set in feudal japan..

6 hours ago, radiofloyd said:

I googled the meaning of the word Kuon. 

The game’s kanji is 九怨 which means “nine grudges”.

The Wikipedia page says 九怨 (Eternity). If you google “kuon” in Japanese, the word eternity will come up (久遠) which is usually read as “kyuuen”  but as you can see the kanji are totally different.

Maybe the person who wrote the Wikipedia page simply googled the word without checking the kanji.

However on top of that, there is also a kanji 仇 (meaning enemy, revenge, grudge, fued etc apparently) which really resembles the 九  meaning “nine”, so I’m not sure if 九怨 or 仇怨 is the correct title.

I’ll have to investigate further....

Edit: According to the Japanese Wikipedia page:

https://ja.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/九怨

The title is definitely 九怨.which means “nine grudges”, so I think the translation of “Eternity” on the English Wikipedia page is a mistake.

how many grudges is Juon? One?

Haha, good question! Juon is 呪怨 in Japanese, so it has the same kanji for grudge. But 呪 is not a number, it means spell or curse etc. So I guess it’s like “vengeful curse” or something.

As far as I can see it’s just a word they made up for that movie (the same as 九怨).

Latest Era rumours are this is published by Activision and will be announced at the Xbox presser tonight.