passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Blaster Master Zero

HandsomeDead

I finished this with a crap ending the other day.  I have since gone back and found all of my tank's (called Sophia III) upgrades, beat the end boss and unlocked some more game.  So make sure you comb the game.

So it's like Symphoney of the Night style Castlevania games and a bit like the Metroid series, so I guess it's a Metroidvania since we still haven't dreamt up a better name for the genre, yet.  But you gotta comb the areas since there is no easy way to get around; like no warp points or shortcuts and that.  And the game is set out in a level based way so if you miss something it is just a case of playing a level backwards.  Some areas of Super Metroid felt like that, but this is a whole game of it.

The action is good and weird, and feels satisfying.  Starts off kinda Megaman-y but as you get upgrades that are either weapons with odd properties (like homing missiles, a thunder bolt that shoots downwards, charge beams and a big, screen filling anime laser and many more!).  Enemies and the way they are placed often make experimenting with them fun and puzzle-y.

You also have the ability to jump out of your tank and control a wee man.  There are parts of the game where you take him into a cave or something and play this isometric shooter.  And these parts are full of cool, weird action as well; even weirder, maybe.  Your weapon has loads of modes: it can shoot a bullet, be a shotgun, be a machine gun and loads more.  When you take damage you lose a weapon mode so to keep the best weapon (one that has a wide shot and shoots through walls) you gotta not get hit.  The weapon is so good, though that you won't get hit.  I would just use the R button to lock myself in a diagonal position and strafe around since not that many enemies have tracking shots and mostly shoot in four directions.

Bosses are troublesome, though, and it's here where you will have to start working around your guns limitions and again adding a cool puzzle element to the combat.

It's really a legit game and I liked it more than I thought I was going to.  I just wish it was less obnoxious to get around at times.  But other than that it's top Banana!