passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

NieR: Automata

DANGERMAN

So i beat that shitty boss battle. It just required patience, something I lack.

Anyway, im now climbing these defence towers to get keys. Did the one in the flooded city no problem. Doing the Forest one, got to the top of the tower after playing all those boring as shit hacking games, easy though so no problem. Got to the boss, jumped over his attack, his second hit me, jumped over his third, hit him with a hack but he needs three of four of them, then he picked me up, threw me on the floor and I was dead. Another point in the game where there is no continue, you have to reload and do the whole tower again. That's bad game design! I'm bored! All i want to do is enjoy the story god dammit.

• 3 weeks later...

Being 5 or 6 levels is nothing really. 20 levels is another thing. Sure you may have got lucky first time through and second time knew where you had to be. 

Issue never was how easy it is to be near the level, more that that there is a massive jump in levels after a certain point, which is no return,  and the game doesn't hint or mention this will happen. This leads people getting caught out. Shit your the only person I know who didn't, o God of gaming ?

I think I was 16 levels off myself. Didn't take much to be back in range but it was jarring and not really something you come across in game design these days. I think things have moved on from arbitrary jumps.

I suppose it depends on the kind of gamer. On the forum side Me, Dwarf and Illdog seem to have little time for fucking about with mundane side stuff. You on the other hand strip 5 games a day, so you probably do more than most.

It's not game breaking and it's easily overcome tho.

Ha. I don't remember any RPG locking me in an area with overlevelled enemies. If their was it was so long ago I forgot about it. Usually you wander into an area, get your arse slapped, put a pin in it to return later and wander off another direction. 

Everything was fine until C. That's a boss tho maybe regular enemies were  different? I dunno but it was fine everything within expectations  then whammo! There's no way the are 48 end of B then only 50 on C. That's nothing. That wouldn't cause issue with people. I reckon you got somat mixed up here. I ain't going back through it all to check.

Yeah I've just checked to see if I have any recorded video as I don't have any save files (you know why ?), but I don't. 

Quick read in the other forum Dwarf mentioned 20-25lvls difference and so did I. A quick search for route C it brings up loads moaning about it (told you it was infamous) and one article talking about people being late 30/early 40's and lvl enemies 50-60 with  larger health pools. Talks about offensive chip set up and lvl 4 weapons to mitigate it. I did have an offensive setup with health gain then went more offensive as I could dodge and 'witch time' easy enough. Got halfway through route C before I thought fuck it and dropped it with xp boost on till I caught up. 

Basically; if you're a saddo doing mundane side shit you'll be alright ?

It's boring stuff when it's go here pick up this shit, fight this hoard when I'd much rather be cracking on with the story. Literally one of the first ones I did was wandering around for shit looking for glowy pickups. I've no time for that anymore which is largely why I don't bother with stuff like JRPG's much these days. The only issue is Nier isn't free flowing; If you haven't been doing that stuff, you hit that wall. 

Most games now you can as much as you like and the enemies level with you or there just a fun distraction.  The only time I'll grind for stuff now is in a looter. But even there I have my limits. 

Each to their own is apt. Not playing it properly but playing it their way. Enjoying what you like about the game ?? 

I bet there are some good ones. I think one of the issues is it does poorly engaging you with that stuff. The early ones just throw up alarms they're fetch questy crap. It was a similar thing with BotW. I collected some materials for a guy and got like 50 rupees. Fuck off mate. But that game never stuck me in a non return scenario where you've no choice but to drop the difficulty or tough it out. It's just poor design.

Doesn't really train you to you to be mindful of your level. You can mainline the game with no problems then you hit that binary jump which catches you out, especially if your last save was a while ago. A game like Bloodborne sets you up regular with little hills to climb and you'll naturally level up with it as you redo an area and spend your souls. 

It's not like the game fails for it or people are crap. It's just One distinct part that isn't designed well I don't think.

my post wasn't meant as a criticism of you or anything, just that I quite liked a few of the side quests.

I did notice a spike in enemy levels between one chapter and the next, but I was at that level anyway so I was just glad it had raised the difficulty a bit

20 hours ago, ThreeFour said:

I know man. Im used to a guy in the other forum streaming his thoughts n debating stuff so I do it sometimes ?

It's just a thing that can put people off which is a shame. Speaking of; has @illdog finished it yet?

No dude, I got bored again. I'm pretty near (neir) the end of Route C but honestly, i find the fighting so dull I've not wanted to play it of late. Ironically i'm not stuck at the moment so there's progress begging to be made. I just can't be arsed to do it. Love that story though, I have thought about just Youtube-ing it but I can't do that sort of thing, it's illegal.

• 8 months later...

Played about an hour of this earlier and it’s pretty great but not really what I was expecting.

Feels closer to Bayonetta than the original Nier, which is fine, but feels odd at the moment. 

The opening mission was great though so I’m looking forward to playing more, and the music is superb, really reminds me of Ghost in the Shell. 

It will seem like that at first, but it turns more action RPG later on. It isn't a character action game really like Bayo, just an RPG with super smooth combat animations. The opening mission isn't really what the game is.

Anyway this game has incredible moments where the music and gameplay sync in really great ways. Platinum are really good at that for some reason

The music is anxiety inducing and after running up and down the map 60 times thinking about life it made me wonder what I’m doing with my life sitting on the couch and it’s like ahhh keeping running up and down and keep doing it and it’s like ahhh is this that existential crisis thing people are always on about 

it’s a bad feeling and I couldn’t recommend a good game lower 

Just on that route C level jump, it's not just about the chipset. The damage scaling in this game becomes brutal if you're 10 or more levels below what you need to be and there's no way to make the math work with chips. They do dump that on you without warning on route C and it sucks.

Coming up to three hours now and I’m not feeling it. 

Story is cool and I’m looking forward to how it progresses. I think I can see where it’s going, but I also think that’s not where it’s going at all so I’m invested in that.

The actual gameplay isn’t really doing it for me though. I’m hoping if I play more it’ll click and I’ll start enjoying it because I want to see where the story goes and if I don’t like the gameplay after the first ending I know I probably won’t bother with the rest so I’ll only get part of a story. 

I hate it when people say this about a game, because 12 hours (or whatever) is 12 hours, but it's a better game when you get to the 2nd part. I wasn't particularly enamoured with it until after the first route

I know I don't know you that well, but I think you'd really like what it does later on with all the existentialism in the side missions

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Nothing has been able to keep my interest lately so I've plumped for this. Of all the games I've neglected to play this generation, this is probably the highest rated. But I've never quite liked the look of it. Looks a bit washed out.

I do (occasionally) likes me a bit of platinum, though. And that opening outdid Bayonetta for sheer bombast. Could have done without the 4 hour install before I got to save, mind.