passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

NieR: Automata

DANGERMAN

Nier Automata isn't quite what I was expecting. The demo, which is the prologue of the game, makes it seem like a fairly standard Platinum Games game. A tight linear action game with Witch Time when you dodge. Instead its that combat dumped in to an rpg

And I don't just mean it's got a levelling up system, I mean it feels like a modern Final Fantasy game (or what I imagine they feel like because I I've only ever watched them being played). It's got big desolate spaces, using real world locations, all destroyed beyond recognition, in place of standard jrpg locations. 

Levelling up is a bit odd. Generally it just means a touch more health and damage, you don't get new skills. The way to do that is to increase the amount of 'chips' you can power. Chips are either dropped or bought and can do minor had things like show how close you are to levelling up, or increase your health, let you fire projectiles from your attacks, and auto heal, these have various levels themselves, meaning if you get a good one it might have a bonus health boost when triggered etc 

I really like the desolate look, I really like the robots, some bits can look a little simplistic but it's a cool aesthetic 

The only thing I'm not keen on is the amount of trudging around the map you have to do for side quests. The world isn't massive but it's big enough that returning to the desert is a bit tedious. Aside from that I'm liking its oddness 

You probably know this but apparently you are supposed to play this game at least three times. The game changes every time or something to that effect, I haven't read the details to avoid spoiling it for myself. Apparently it's quite remarkable...

Eleven hours in on my first playthrough, and it is rather special. I've already come across a few places with real emotional attachment. 

I don't know how far in you are @DANGERMAN, but at some point the world traversal does get a lot easier. 

The soundtrack is superb. I'd love to have the OST. The way it fades in and out in different areas and bringing in the vocals is very well done, too.  

I took this screen earlier.

IMG_dd44c4.jpg

Love that @DANGERMAN got tricked into playing a Final Fantasy game.

Oddly enough its the overly final fantasyness of this that has put me off being too interested because im a bit RPG'd out at the moment, that and the trailers just made it look like a sort of weird fever dream. Your impressions of it so far have got me sort of interested however so who knows might see if its a decent price anywhere.

• 2 weeks later...

To answer your question Ed. I got to the bit where fast travel opens up but I've not used it yet. I stopped to finish up Danganronpa 

Considering the story is awful on paper it's actually very well delivered. I should hopefully go back this weekend before Persona arrives 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I finished route A over the weekend, started route B, and I'm just past them point where you meet the machines* for the first time 

I'm still waiting for the other shoe to drop. It's good, I like the combat, buy so far the story hasn't really done anything interesting. Hopefully it does and it's just a matter of progressing, at least you get through the game quicker 2nd time 

I wish it had told me that I wasn't going to be able to do some of these side quests at the end of route to A too. I know you can pick them back up, but one I've encountered that I didn't finish I have to start again with, another I just had to finish off tbf 

So yeah, I like Nier, just not seeing what makes it amazing yet? 

I might have moaned about the side missions too early, I had to do the very start of the Wandering Couple again, but then it jumped to where I'd left it, so I finished that and the Wise Machine 

It's amazing how quickly you can get through the game 2nd time through, I'm now past the point I was when I picked it back up on Saturday. Thanks to the side quests I've started to see some of the existentialism come to the fore

Still playing this, I've done route B too. It's not what I was expecting, you aren't just playing the same story through 3 different perspectives, B changes a decent amount, then C is like a sequel. There's 'main' game is really just the first half of the story 

The more I play it the more I enjoy it but I'm not sure why exactly. Certainly it's not like there's lots of games like Nier knocking around 

Well, I think I've seen a choice that will be one of the other routes. Kind of didn't mean to make it, I was pressing triangle to hack with a character who doesn't have triangle to hack 

Anyway, as far as I can tell I've just got the last part of 9s story to do, although I presume there's a little more after that. I don't know what it it, but I really have been enjoying it more as I've played through 

Finally started this earlier in a 4 hour session.

Really enjoyed the Prologue that was in the demo (again) but bumped up the difficulty to Normal after a short amount of time as Easy just felt like the game was playing itself and I wanted that great Platinum combat feel.

Everything was very weird after that with the

Spoiler

floating bunker

, and as soon as I got into the city I just thought it looked like ass, honestly think apart from the lighting and main character models everything likes decidedly last-gen, coming off Horizon definitely didn't help either.

Went about exploring the city, recovered my lost items/weapon from the factory area then made my way to the resistance camp. Couple of fetch quests (which were weirdly story quests) here to collect some crafting/weapons parts.

Was making decent progress but couldn't for the life of me find one of the parts at the location the game told me it was at, looked for AGES to no avail so eventually had to reload my save and do those quests all over again.

Things picked up in the desert and the weirdness shone through the jank, the frame rate started going bonkers at times though which ruined it a bit, like running through treacle, got the framerate mod on too but it didn't seem to help.

So yeah, a mixed bag, love the kookiness, weirdness and surreal nature of it but the game looks and runs like ass which doesn't help, combat is unsurprisingly fantastic.

Couple pics:

524220_20170523182524_1.png

524220_20170523184715_1.png

Yeah, it's meant to fix the frame-rate/resolution issues on PC (game refuses to display at the selected resolution, frame-rate regularly stutters, goes down to 40fps).

I thought it was working for a while as I got a constant 60 without any stuttering or weird shit and the game appears to be outputting at 1440p but then I turned a setting off (something to do with frame-pacing I believe) in the mod overlay and after that I got a lot of stuttering (felt like the game was running through treacle) and the frame-rate was all over the shop in the Resistance camp in the city. I'll turn that frame-pacing setting back to what it was tomorrow and see if it helps, damn annoying if not.

It felt weird playing this with an xbone controller too, so I installed a program that makes your PC think a DS4 is an xbox 360 controller, and then I put in another mod to make the PlayStation buttons the controller buttons displayed instead of xbox buttons.

Spent 30 minutes tinkering getting everything set-up basically, fingers crossed it'll be perfecto tomorrow, PC gaming yo! :ph34r:

4 hours earlier today, 8 total.

Made some decent progress, honestly think Yoko Taro is taking the piss with these side quests, they're fucking awful, some of the characters you meet along the way are cool and kooky but having to traipse across the map multiple times to speak to some fucking weirdo or pick up an item, then traipse all the way back again to speak to the quest giver it gets real old real fast.

One 'stamp collecting' one was the highlight, purely for the Shakespeare play reenactment afterwards which was fucking amazing.

Plot has not really moved on much really,

Spoiler

I defeated the Goliath's that appear in the city and now there's been an alien signal discovered or something but not much has happened still.

The Amusement park is definitely my favourite area of the game, first time I saw it I was in awe, the boss fight against the 'dancer' was fantastic too, definitely the highlight of the game so far. I liked the machine village too, real Ewok village on Endor vibes.

The music is so amazing too, it's so powerful and surprisingly moving.

Also have no idea why the game suddenly threw a massive difficulty spike at me after the

Spoiler

Goliath's,

suddenly everything is Level 20+ and I'm seeing enemy types I'd not even seen before, can barely defeat them without using a ton of health potions, will probably put the difficulty down to Easy again tomorrow.

So yeah, I'm still not sure about it really, and at the moment I really don't know if I'm gonna be arsed to do all the playthroughs, may be burnt out after the first at this rate.

I've upgraded one of the starter swords (Virtuous Contract I think) to Level 2 but that's about it, found a staff too but it does worse damage so haven't equipped that.

I've bought more chip capacity (+16), not really sure how to equip them though, I've gone into the menu and had a look but just assumed they were all equipped? I've bought a few of the Pod Ult upgrade things and found a second Pod to switch between too.

I didn't have any problems difficulty-wise until the bump after the City battle, since then every battle has been a right ball ache.

A few pics from earlier too:

524220_20170524145950_1.png

524220_20170524151333_1.png

524220_20170524152821_1.png

524220_20170524152908_1.png

Ah ok cheers @Nag didn't know any of that :lol: I had a look at the chip-sets earlier, tried fiddling around with them but couldn't get all the ones I wanted to fit (despite having a +16 and a +32 upgrade now), decided to turn it on Automatic now (chose to favour attack) so hopefully I won't have any trouble with it.

Another 3 hours played earlier, 11 total.

Upgraded one of my spears, bought a broadsword and upgraded one of the starter swords too, haven't had any trouble with enemies today, but then I have been playing on Easy :ph34r:

Can't believe I'd been traipsing across the map numerous times for side quests etc. then I did a bit more of the story today and almost immediately unlocked fast-travel :facepalm: fuck's sake, I knew there should be a fast-travel system in there :lol:

The story has been hella weird,

Spoiler

I ventured down into the bunker and into some Alien spacecraft where I encountered the human-looking machines (who also look suspiciously like the dudes from the original Nier) built by the machines that killed their Alien masters. 

A ton of side-quests later and I was sent into an abandoned shopping mall, an enchanted forest and a overgrown castle, talk about eclectic! What a bloody strange world/city this is, it almost feels Souls like how it all fits together and with the side-scrolling in the castle it was reminiscent of Metroidvania style games to a certain degree.

I get the feeling that I'm encountering choices that'll come back to bite me in the arse later on in the game, when you have to kill the missing YorHa units I felt really guilty killing them, I mean I know they're only Androids but I still felt guilty that I was killing my fellow YorHa fighters. The same with when you encounter A2 at the end of the Castle, it felt really strange that I was ordered to kill her straight away and then Command kept the reasons 'confidential' as to why she was a fugitive in the first place. 

Bloody odd, I've felt from the beginning of the game there's something off with the Human council and YorHa as a whole, and that the humans haven't exactly been truthful with their Androids about the Machines and what they're really like.

It has such an ethereal quality to it at times, the enchanted forest area almost felt like a dream-world lost in this cityscape, the music really adds to this illusion too as it really is incredible almost all the time, making each area feel new and distinctive.

Few pics too:

524220_20170525181331_1.png

524220_20170525181358_1.png

524220_20170525182005_1.png