Sign in to follow this  
DANGERMAN

NieR: Automata

Nier Automata isn't quite what I was expecting. The demo, which is the prologue of the game, makes it seem like a fairly standard Platinum Games game. A tight linear action game with Witch Time when you dodge. Instead its that combat dumped in to an rpg

And I don't just mean it's got a levelling up system, I mean it feels like a modern Final Fantasy game (or what I imagine they feel like because I I've only ever watched them being played). It's got big desolate spaces, using real world locations, all destroyed beyond recognition, in place of standard jrpg locations. 

Levelling up is a bit odd. Generally it just means a touch more health and damage, you don't get new skills. The way to do that is to increase the amount of 'chips' you can power. Chips are either dropped or bought and can do minor had things like show how close you are to levelling up, or increase your health, let you fire projectiles from your attacks, and auto heal, these have various levels themselves, meaning if you get a good one it might have a bonus health boost when triggered etc 

I really like the desolate look, I really like the robots, some bits can look a little simplistic but it's a cool aesthetic 

The only thing I'm not keen on is the amount of trudging around the map you have to do for side quests. The world isn't massive but it's big enough that returning to the desert is a bit tedious. Aside from that I'm liking its oddness 

You probably know this but apparently you are supposed to play this game at least three times. The game changes every time or something to that effect, I haven't read the details to avoid spoiling it for myself. Apparently it's quite remarkable...

Eleven hours in on my first playthrough, and it is rather special. I've already come across a few places with real emotional attachment. 

I don't know how far in you are @DANGERMAN, but at some point the world traversal does get a lot easier. 

The soundtrack is superb. I'd love to have the OST. The way it fades in and out in different areas and bringing in the vocals is very well done, too.  

I took this screen earlier.

IMG_dd44c4.jpg

Love that @DANGERMAN got tricked into playing a Final Fantasy game.

Oddly enough its the overly final fantasyness of this that has put me off being too interested because im a bit RPG'd out at the moment, that and the trailers just made it look like a sort of weird fever dream. Your impressions of it so far have got me sort of interested however so who knows might see if its a decent price anywhere.

It's actually pretty linear. I've never finished a Final Fantasy game but I'll finish this, likely more than once if the story holds up. And I've heard it does.  

To answer your question Ed. I got to the bit where fast travel opens up but I've not used it yet. I stopped to finish up Danganronpa 

Considering the story is awful on paper it's actually very well delivered. I should hopefully go back this weekend before Persona arrives 

Watching this now, really nice video. There's a separate video with the director of Persona 5 that I'll post in that thread.

I started this over the weekend, haven't put that much time in to it but i like what I've seen...

I never played the first game and didn't play the demo to to this so I'm pretty much completely blind but so far combat seems fun, i like the way your viewpoints change and how it'll just switch from brawler to shoot em up.

It won't win any awards for it's looks but I've seen some fairly pretty scenery already.

Communities_20170402_113217.jpg

Communities_20170402_113230.jpg

Still having a good time with this, wish it would explain a few things a little better though... Played for around 14 hours and up to level 27 when i finally discover you have to buy storage for plug ins... I'd been waiting for them to unlock through either level or story progression.:rolleyes:

Now I've been able to upgrade my damage output considerably...

Communities_20170411_204711.jpg

Mean and moody....

So, finished Routes A and B, A is definitely the better of the two... controlling 9S leaves you lacking combat moves but gaining a weird hacking mini game (which seriously trivialises some bosses). The added story segments were appreciated but by the by the story is pretty much a re-run.

Started Route C straight after and this is all new and starts with a brilliant sense of urgency and escalation, didn't get very far before needing to save to do other stuff but I'm really looking forward to getting back to it.

Glad i gave this the chance.

I'm just going by the descriptions of the ending trophies as they unlock, 2B is route A, 9S is route B and route C looks like you can swap between A2 and 9S to get different endings and stuff... @DANGERMAN

You get a chapter select after completing all three main routes...

Thank you Platinum Games for ruining a perfectly good action game with one of the most pointless, shittiest hacking mini games ever.... to the point of actively blocking progress if you struggle with them.... FUCKING HELL!:angry:

So, after my overreaction a couple of days ago I sat down and finished the rest of Route C today, netting me endings C,D and E... Considering the premise of this game (androids kicking the hell out of robots) I found a couple of the endings quite poignant.

After all was said and done I think I ended up with around 75% of the trophies... so I hit up the trophy shop buying the rest netting me the PlatinumB)...

Stand out character for me was actually A2 followed by the NPC's Devola and Popola who's back story was actually pretty sad (and maybe missable). Any way great game all in all and really happy I gave it a go.

Communities_20170424_222229.jpg

Communities_20170429_161916.jpg

Communities_20170429_161926.jpg

Actually, one more thing while I remember... this game has some one of the best soundtracks I've heard, it's brilliant.

I finished route A over the weekend, started route B, and I'm just past them point where you meet the machines* for the first time 

I'm still waiting for the other shoe to drop. It's good, I like the combat, buy so far the story hasn't really done anything interesting. Hopefully it does and it's just a matter of progressing, at least you get through the game quicker 2nd time 

I wish it had told me that I wasn't going to be able to do some of these side quests at the end of route to A too. I know you can pick them back up, but one I've encountered that I didn't finish I have to start again with, another I just had to finish off tbf 

So yeah, I like Nier, just not seeing what makes it amazing yet? 

I've got to admit that I was confused by @retroed comment of it being a masterpiece after finishing Route A... Trust me finishing Route C really does make things clearer and elevate the game.

I still don't think its a masterpiece but its far and away one of the best games exclusive to PS4 and a solid action title.

I've properly finished it now (ending E) and it's more of a masterpiece than I originally thought. 

1 minute ago, retroed said:

I've properly finished it now (ending E) and it's more of a masterpiece than I originally thought. 

In what way, I'm not trying to rubbish your feelings on the game either... I'm genuinely interested.:)

The story, gameplay elements, the final gameplay sequence before the very end.