passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Jimboxy

17 hours ago, DifferentClass said:

I'm now trying to figure out how to complete my Zora armour set.  I'm sure someone mentioned something about the helmet in the game but it's not in my quest log anywhere.

If you want me to tell you where they are let me know :)

4 hours earlier, 72 total.

Started out in my 3rd Beast,

Spoiler

quite a cool mechanic to this one particularly the opening where everything was pitch black and you had to pad your way about only in torchlight. Quite short though and incredibly easy but I did enjoy it a lot, probably my favourite dungeon so far, had a nice flow to it and didn't outstay its welcome or get frustrating at any point.

Boss was a step up too, only slightly, he was still a piece of piss but at least he was actually a teensy challenge this time around and had a knack to work out in order to do damage to him, I stupidly kept equipping Bomb Arrows in a fire area which meant I kept blowing up and had to use a few food items to regain health because of my stupidity. He went down soon enough, but yeah, best boss so far for sure, just which they'd have more to them and be more challenging overall, Souls has spoiled me.

After this I wanted to explore a bit more, first on the agenda was finding

Spoiler

Dinraal's Scale for the Spring of Power, had a quick look on the net where to find him and made my way there from Death Mountain, camped out and sure enough he turned up, got the scale so I could complete the quest.

Then I went and cleared up a few of the 'Major test of strength' shrines I'd left near the beginning of my playthrough as they are an absolute pushover for me now.

More exploring, this time I wanted to find all the fairy fountains so I had a look on the net where the remaining two I needed are, travelled to one in Akkala and had more of an explore in this area, got very distracted by a Shrine quest on this curly peninsula that looked like one of those Sand Islands in Dubai a bit. Had to get a ball from the shore line then follow the swirly line around avoiding tons of enemies to put the ball in a hole to pop the Shrine up, really enjoyed it but it did go on a bit not being able to run etc. for awhile and having to carry this ball about for AGES, but yeah, definitely cool overall.

As I now had 3 stamina upgrades I thought I'd now be able to make it to the Island in the South East corner of the map which I'd been unable to reach before. Didn't make it on my first couple of attempts but I finally managed it by using Cryosis from the nearby Shrine to get ashore.

Spoiler

Once I got ashore I was immediately met with a warning from the nearby Elder/Sheikah God or whatever you call them warning me that they're going to strip me of all my gear and weapons and I'd have to complete the islands puzzles using only the things I could find and scavenge on the Island itself, on top of this after awhile I realised that you can't save at all, if you die in this area (a troll took me out once) you go ALL the way back to beginning, wipes your progress completely.

This Island was definitely the highlight of my playthrough, it was a truly incredible moment in a fantastic game. I absolutely adore how this game gives the world an identity and personality of itself and this Island just personified that, this game reminds me of a lot of other games at times (Assassin's Creed/Far Cry, Skyrim, MGSV, Witcher 3) but this was the first time it truly felt like The Witness, albeit without the incredibly hard puzzles. Just that sense of exploration, wonder and exploring somewhere alien and unknown, it was all present in that game and came to the forefront in this game through this island, there'd been plenty of other moments that reminded me of The Witness too but this one just really brought it home to me. This Island respected the players intelligence completely, didn't hold your hand,

Spoiler

took away all your cool shit you'd accumulated over so many hours and just said 'deal with it', absolutely fucking adored this Island,

it is by far and away the moment I'll take away from this game the most, absolutely incredible.

I implore everybody to find this Island, it is truly a revelation.

i'm in a similar place to some dudes above, about ready to take on the the main baddie, but not sure if i should do it yet, i want to get all (well as many as i can) of the shrines. they're great. but progress finding them is getting slower, so might try and finish the game and then come back to the shrine hunting after. but there's always a danger that when it's done i won't come back, which would be a shame.

oh i've not done the memories yet, 2 left i think, one i recon i can find, the other i haven't a clue where it is,

Spoiler

but i know a guy who might.

about killing the guardians

Spoiler

i was shooting them in the eye and hacking away with a sword, makes it pretty easy to kill them but eats swords,

then a better way...

Spoiler

read this on another forum, some tips for parrying the laser which work really well (basically get the distance away from them that they try and stay at when following you, press the button when the light turns blue. i managed it once when far away but apparently the timing is different depending on distance), it's super cool taking them out like this :D

@Blakey it occurs to me from your posts that you don't know you can sail on those raft things if you use a certain weapon to fan the sail. I know this is kind of spoilery but I feel like you would really enjoy doing this so I'm not spoilering it. 

He's got to have done it in the 72 hours he's played. If it's your first zelda tho I guess it's not immediately obvious.

Spoiler

@spatular Taking out guardians with a parry is super satisfying. Practice on those stuck in the ground. There's a lone one on the great platue next to a shrine.

I just took out five guardians in a row with perfect timing each time and then the fucking blood moon comes along and one right next to me pops back up and link decides he just doesn't fucking want to lock on to him and would instead rather hold his shield in the opposite direction. The blood moon is probably my only real negative of the game, and I know it's a glitch so won't hold it against it too much but when that happens in combination with the camera its fucking irritating. 

Everytime a blood moon pops up for me I'm not anywhere to be in any danger. I'm not even sure what it does other than enemies respawn in some areas and zelda tells you to be careful. Is there greater rewards for taking them on?

It respawns any enemies which is normally okay but when youve just killed three guardians all near each other and they respawn whilst you are nearly killing another then its curtains, game doesn't autsave often enough whilst killing them too. 

Trying to farm guardians as you need 20 gears for each piece of armour and its easily the least enjoyable part of the game. 

4 hours ago, Sambob said:

@Blakey it occurs to me from your posts that you don't know you can sail on those raft things if you use a certain weapon to fan the sail. I know this is kind of spoilery but I feel like you would really enjoy doing this so I'm not spoilering it. 

I fucking wondered how to work the rafts! I'm gonna have to find/keep one in my inventory now...

6 hours ago, Sambob said:

Yeah I know how to use them, just never have the weapon on me to work them really, only in the Woods where they were plentiful.

Rather keep my inventory stocked with some quality swordage instead, don't want to waste a weapon slot on that to be honest.

Normally they are near a boat ive found, and if you know where to look then you can always find a few respawning super good weapons.

Whelp...spoilers for end boss and end game

Spoiler

I beat the end boss, it had saved from where i beat the first stage boss on my initial explore so I went in massively over-prepared. Beating all those guardians to get the guardian armour and then level it up was actually really good practise for the end boss, and it was a bit of a doddle in the end. The outside bit was a bit silly after it and took the shine off what felt like an enjoyable and hard earned by making you do that extra stuff, but it follows the conventions of the divine beasts I guess. I liked the end story bit although I feel like i want something else now, guess that will perhaps be in the christmas DLC, hopefully anyway. I liked the ending dont get me wrong but as i was going around the various areas I couldnt help but want to see Hyrule as it was before the calamity with all the buildings restored and full of people, especially the area surrounding the castle.

It was amazing seeing the decimated area and imagining how it must be have been but I would absolutely love a glimpse more of the hey day outside of what you see in the memories. A word on the memories, they were excellent and it was an interesting way of revealing the story, it fit with the game's philosophy of figuring it out for yourself, but it was strange considering how the story is normally given to you in the previous Zelda games, it was very much like the Souls series of games way of telling the story. 

Got a ton of side quests to go through and loads of things to collect which im looking forward to doing now. What a game, 65ish hours and still tons to do.

11 hours ago, mr lakitu said:

Reveal hidden contents

yeah i've already taken quite a few out :)

just finished it too, will go back to hunt for more shrines.

Just got the master sword.

Spoiler

Not sure how I feel about it having a 10 minute cool down. It's not massively powerful. 

Done all the memories. Zelda told me it's time. Nah. I've only done one Beast. Will milk your pain a little longer. You've been waiting 100 years. 

Spoiler

Loving the Mon currency, masks and weapons.

Beat Ganon today, sort of stumbled in to fighting him, didn't expect it to be an irreversible series of events that I triggered so I had to fight him. Beat him first go despite thinking I was unprepared.

Fired it straight back up and have been playing on and off for the rest of the day.

I think 70 hours is enough playtime to give an overall judgment but its hard to find the words. I dont want to gush but at the same time I don't remember feeling this way about a game so it's hard not to. I'm not saying it didn't annoy the fuck out of me at times but the game as a whole is so good it's shortcomings are lost amongst the things, and there are many, that it does right. I always felt contented when playing, Hyule is so vast and beautiful that I was just happy to be in this outstandingly crafted world.

Its funny how alone you can feel in a game so populated with AI but when you emerge from a lone spell in to a town or stable its almost a relief to talk to someone and they all have something to say, the writing is great.

Look, I could crap on like this but in short, this game is a masterpiece of design and immersion. Its certainly the best Zelda game I've personally played and time will tell if it's the best game I've ever played but it certainly doesn't feel wrong to say so.

Following on from @illdog's thoughts, I thought I'd share my assessment of the game overall, I know I haven't finished it but I've spent enough time with the game to put some solid thoughts down about it as a whole.

I know this is probably going to get negged to high heaven but here goes.

It's very good, definitely the best Zelda since OoT but the story, bosses and dungeons let this down the most.

In my view BotW isn't very original, it takes an awful lot of what has made open-world games successful over the years and slightly improves on the formula in how interactive and 'alive' the world feels to explore, but falls down when it comes to story.

It is incredibly similar to Skyrim, I really do think Nintendo basically saw Skyrim as the template for BotW when they created it, but decided to make the world slightly more interactive, perhaps they played The Witness a year ago too. But where it falls down is in the stories, most of the side quests just aren't that great at all, the dungeons are great but incredibly short and have no depth at all to them, there's no meandering or 6 hours spent lost in a Dwemer ruin, almost everything is a fetch quest where at most you get a handful of diamonds or a Golden Rupee.

Don't get me wrong, I think this game is very good but I don't think it's that original is all, it often feels like an amalgamation of open-world ideas that have been thrown into a Cauldron together, a less meaty, less dense version of Skyrim if you will, nothing wrong with that but I like lengthy dungeons, lengthy side quests.

It's like an Ice Cream Sundae without the chocolate sprinkles and cherry's on the top, and you want the chocolate sprinkles and cherry on the top right? I just feel like this could have been a masterpiece if they'd of nailed the dungeons, but without it's probably going to end up an 8/10 game.

Definitely not a masterpiece to me, just a very good open world game severely lacking in the story department, this just feels like they left the story 100 years ago and went 'meh just beat Ganon'.

I know this is all rather negative, I am very much enjoying my time with it, Eventide Island is truly a magical moment that will stick with me forever, but I just can't place it in the high echelons of gaming history than many have, it just isn't THAT good to me.

I applaud Aonuma and Nintendo for having the balls to completely blow apart the Zelda formula that had become dated and stale for many years and adopt something new, exciting and fresh. It is a fantastic world they've created that feels more alive and more believable than an awful lot of open world games, but it just stumbles when it comes to the Dungeons, bosses and story, they just don't live up to the perfectly reconstructed living, breathing world that Nintendo have created, if they did it would be a masterpiece for me, but without it just feels like a Creme Egg without the Creme.

If you're a Nintendo and/or Zelda fan you will probably think this is a revelation, and it is one of the best games Nintendo has made without a shadow of a doubt, but I just think other Dev's have perfected the open-world RPG formula before this game came along and this doesn't quite reach to those higher echelons for me.

I really hope they stick to this format in the future with the inevitable sequel but put in more story elements and some meaty dungeons then it will be a masterpiece.

Anyhoo, back to my experiences in the game over the weekend. Played another 2.5 hours yesterday before switching over to ME:A yesterday, 74.5 total.

Spent most of the time doing side quests really. 

Spoiler

My first port of call now I had enough wood was to go and get my house from the house chap in one of the Villages, 3,000 rupees then had to spend another 1,000 decorating out the place so I could tick the quest off my list.

This led me to another quest in Akkala where one of the housing guys was building a new town, he needed wood (of course) and people to help out, so I found a Goron for him near Goron City, went back and he wanted more wood (I obliged) then he tasked me with getting a Gerudo to help him so that's where I left that.

Next up was another side quest where I had to photograph Leviathan bones, I'd already photographed the ones in Eldin and Hydra, so the Gerudo one was the only left. Whilst I was in the area I bought the Gerudo disguise to get into the nearby town from the man in drag, encountered a running on the entrance to the town and this sent me off on another wild goose chase up into the Gerudo Highlands searching for some rock statue. Took me AGES of looking around to find it, but eventually I managed it with help of the net and she rewarded me with some Sand boots.

After this I went back to finding the Leviathan bone in the desert. Didn't expect to be chased by a giant worm thing at all! Damn that thing was tough, kept coming up from under the sand and taking 3/4 of my health down, I tried running away and he kept gunning for me every time, had to use a ton of health potions, then I got stuck in a Sandstorm and had no idea where I was going. Eventually it subsided and I found where I was looking for and a fairy fountain at the same location, she wanted 10,000 rupees though! 10,000! That's some crazy shit, had nowhere near that on me after spending a lot buying a house and the disguise so couldn't talk t

o her.
Ticked the nearby shrine off the list too, now up to about 86 I think. Really odd, but I managed to get myself stuck in this one some how? It was one where you had to put magnetised boxes on scales and reach the shrine room, but you needed to bomb the rocks blocking the scales and shrine before you could proceed. The problem was that this blew up the barrels on the left arm of the scales and they wouldn't go back down so I could place another box (or Link) on them, so I scratched my head for quite awhile before going out and redoing it, this time making sure I didn't blow up the barrels on the scales, not sure if this was a bug or me just being an idiot but was quite odd.

Spoiler

Been trying to do this damn white horse quest since near the beginning too,

but I STILL don't have enough stamina to do it despite upgrading my wheel 3 times :( will have to come back when I've got yet another upgrade and try again I guess.

Played more today,  3.5 hours or so, 78 total.

Been systematically ticking off a hell of a lot of side quests, travelling here there and everywhere over the map. The 'new town' quest took THE longest time ever, finding all the people to bring back to the town, gathering 100+ bundles of wood for the quest giver.

Found a new town in an area I hadn't explored that much today and got a few more quests there, then back to Gerudo town, lots of exploring and talking to everywhere here.

Couple of interesting shrine quests, one where you had to follow statues through the desert to find the Shrine. Another where you have to put 7 orbs in 7 pots under some statues.

Took down my first Guardians today too  Thought I'd get annihilated but I tried something when they did their laser shot and it worked, which makes taking them down an absolute doddle now I've got the knack of it :D

I always seem to love this game more when dossing about than doing anything remotely story related.

Tempted to get 100% of the Shrines now too as I'm at 94.

@Blakey Stamina meals..

As for your impression I feel like you're negging on aspects a little too much after calling out negative reviews to have "had the balls" to be critical. Almost all reviews I've read have had some negative things to say. Knit picking after the fact doesn't make for an edgy impression. Again, that's how it seems to a few posts I've read on different sites not just yours and it's inevitable to get people calling out on aspects and not actually going into any detail. For example the story itself is so improved on recent games not only of its kind but all genres. The way that it unravels through exploration and the time frame from beginning to end is amongst the best not only of the series.

Anyway so be it if that's what you really felt for 70+ hours. I'd have stopped a long time go. But I don't have as long left to live :(

One thing I didn't mention is the voice acting seemed pretty good at first but after all the memories it's pretty average. Some parts are ok but when there should be emotion it comes off a little hammy. I imagine they hired voice actors and went with them rather than auditioning the parts.

I feel I'm at a sad part now. I've only done one beast but zelda told me to fck up Calamity. I know once I've done the beasts and murdered that soab I'll feel like I've just woken up into a world of not much else to look forward to for a few months for any system. I hope it throws you back into Hyrule post ending to clean up rather than having to load up a past save. I have large continents I've barely explored. 

I did an electricity shrine earlier that I can't tell if I cheesed it or not. 

Spoiler

Basically you start with a small barrel and a large box. Both metal to make connections between electrical connections for multiple lights and unlocks but l after some head scratching I dropped metal weapons to use to conduct electricity between small gaps and 3 minutes later I'd rinsed that shrine to fucksville.