passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Jimboxy

Anddddd that’s my 2nd attempt done. Nah, just not for me. I stuck with it a lot longer this time, unlocked the majority of the map and done a Divine Beast. I can see appreciate what people like about it but it does too many small things which irritate me.

There’s just too much friction getting about. I still had a huge issue with the stamina while running. There’s huge open sections with nothing there or even more corridor like areas between cliffs or on bridges and it just irritates the fuck out of me how often you have to keep slowing down. Finally got a horse and that didn’t help either. I thought after registering one I’d be able to just whistle for it. Nope! You have to go back to stable and get it. The fuck? Basically useless. Ocarina came out a lifetime ago & even with a much smaller area didn’t make you do that shit.  

The controls are just bad. They’re manageable while exploring but anything which requires faster reaction times, you’re fucked. Might be fine after 80 hours of practice but not doing that. Most of the times I died it felt like it was the controls letting me down rather than skill. Link has weird momentum too. So many times I just tried turning a certain direction and end up falling off whatever I was on. 

The world is just so empty! Even after taking a lifetime to reach a landmark it’s always the same thing. Move a stone into a circle, move a box into a pattern or chase a flower or something just to get a seed. Wow. That’s definitely a ‘me’ issue though, I just don’t get enjoyment from exploring just for the sake of exploring like lots of other people do. 

The Menu’s are a complete PIA. And doing pretty essential stuff like cooking is far more time consuming aand awkward than it needs to be. Why doesn’t it show my my previous recipes? Why can’t I just cook from the menu when I’m at a fire? Why’s it all just so tedious? 

The frame rate when playing docked is terrible. But actually ok in handheld mode. 

Regardless of all this though I don’t actually hate the game, the combats mostly fine. I don’t mind the weapon degradation stuff & see the benefit of it (although I don’t think it’d lose anything is they all lasted twice as long as they actually do). I enjoyed the puzzles and shrines, I liked the divine beast I did, the settlement areas are cool and interesting with some decent side quests. Gliding about is always fun too. If I was to rate what I played I’d actually give it a 7/10 but I’m not getting enough out of it to carry on. 

Time to sell (anyone want it? As new condition) and give Tears a try. I’ll probably have the same problems but I’ve seen enough people who bounced off BoTW enjoy it to be hopeful. Plus hear it’s more authored so might be more up my street. 

And I thought it was just me......

I'll be looking forward to read how you get on with Tears, as my experience with BotW sounded much like yours (I played it on the first run to completion years ago, and have been contemplating whether to give it another go) - so if you like Tears it might sway me too.

I bouced off Breath of the Wild twice before it finally clicked and the thing that did it for me was speaking to my friend and me saying I was struggling to stay engaged with it, he asked if I'd defeated any of the guardians (I think that's what they're called, the bosses) and at that point I hadn't done any. I then did all three of them in pretty much one sitting, opening up the new powers and making the game a lot more fun/accessable for me, after that I put in another 40 or 50 hours or so and still never got around to fighting Gandorf.

The part I'll agree with mfnick on is all the friction, these games are all about that friction in every interaction. But that's why they're good imo, rather than bad. So much OW games are frictionless and consequence free, with little consideration to how to get around or deal with puzzles and obstacles

I think with these games tbh you have to block out the hype and the temptation of the zeitgeist and go with what you know. if you don't like the fussiness and fiddling around you're probably not going to be on the same wavelength as those that do like the tinkering. You don't need to buy the latest shiny cause other people have it as well. It's like me with roguelikes, fuck Returnal. I think it looks like hell, fuck your metacritic averages I know what I like and it ain't that

I had a similar experience to @mfnick and @shinymcshine with this really although I did probably have a slightly better time with it, I did think it was a great, incredibly memorable game but with some serious flaws that stopped it from ever being in the GOAT or even GOTY conversation that year, it's not a masterpiece tier game for me either. 

Despite all that I do applaud it for doing something different and truly innovative at the time, but for me to give something accolades or throw about terms like masterpiece I have to enjoy it throughout, I have to be fully engaged and invested and I just wasn't some of the time and disappointed with other aspects I saw as corner cutting at the time (probably not now) like the small simple dungeons, sparse world, repeated enemies and bosses. 

TotK is simultaneously a better game and a worse game, the powers are more exciting and complicated but the world seems ever more sparse and even more dreary with less to do but being so early in that may be an unfair criticism the longer I go into TotK.

I will say if this never clicked with you, Tears isn't likely to either, it lulled me in with a false sense of newness for the first few hours but once you reach Hyrule things are quite similar really but with a few QoL concessions (I wouldn't say solutions as they don't go all the way, but they do help).

They're both weird games in lots of ways, open world RPGs but with all the survivalist elements of something like Day Z, I think that's what puts me off the most, I can never be arsed with cooking or anything either and having to hold everything in my hands and navigating the cumbersome menus every time becomes a chore.

I'll add, I loathed BOTW. Nothing about it worked for me. I traded it in without even getting halfway into the game. That is the only title in the series to garner that reaction from me.

Meanwhile, I am several hours into TOTK and this feels infinitely more like Zelda than it's predecessor did.

It surprises me when people say they hated BOTW but really like TOTK. I can see why someone would prefer it, but they are pretty similar games in my view, with TOTK building off the other.

The big thing is just that TOTK has maybe the best onboarding mechanics I've seen for a game this size and density, with this much openness 

edit to be clear, I'm not just talking about the tutorial island but the whole game in general. 

10 minutes ago, one-armed dwarf said:

they are pretty similar games in my view, with TOTK building off the other.

I think I've made this comparison before. But in a similar way, I really like Ocarina of Time, but adore Majora's Mask. 

8 hours ago, Jimbo Xiii said:

guardians (I think that's what they're called, the bosses) and at that point I hadn't done any. I then did all three of them in pretty much one sitting, opening up the new powers and making the game a lot more fun/accessable for me,

Are they different to the divine beast parts then? I got a couple of good abilities going for those from gear sets (the waterfall one is ace!) but don’t know anything about these guardians. Would I need to grind a load of hearts first to stand a chance? 

6 hours ago, one-armed dwarf said:

think with these games tbh you have to block out the hype and the temptation of the zeitgeist and go with what you know. if you don't like the fussiness and fiddling around you're probably not going to be on the same wavelength as those that do like the tinkering. You don't need to buy the latest shiny cause other people have it as well. It's like me with roguelikes, fuck Returnal. I think it looks like hell, fuck your metacritic averages I know what I like and it ain't that

You’re definitely right. But I need to know for myself still when a game is hyped this much. Plus, the best and worst thing about Nintendo games is the way they never drop in price. Should only cost me a couple of quid to have tried it if I bounce off it and sell on.