passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Jimboxy

1 minute ago, mfnick said:

Thank you. Regarding the cooking I’m sure I’ve tried doing that and they just bounced out but will try again

Make sure there is a fire under it. You should get a 'Press A' prompt when you are lined up. 

If you are running long enough to drain your stamina completely then you've probably missed something along the way. I loaded it up before as a reminder so I wasn't giving totally bogus advice and after playing for 150 hours i still found a quick korok puzzle to do after only a few minutes in game. 

I really wish I had the time to reset my Master Mode play through (As I really didn’t get very far) and experience the game that way. Even though I still like it a lot, I fully acknowledge the combat is quite weak in this game and is only as fun as you make it. But playing on MM the weapons, at least in the beginning, do 0 damage and it forces you to be creative right off the bat. I really want to play more of that and see how it plays out going forward. To the weapons catch up or do you have to be even more imaginative? Or rely more on buffs and stuff (Which for the Lynols I was always doing anyway)

Picked this back up again last night as a friend lent it to me. Not sure why I was so down on it before to be honest, played for about an hour and really enjoyed it. After seeing the post above about killing guardians using the shield rebound I went about guardian killing and collecting ancient tat, then set about unlocking the place where you can turn them into armour. Dropped into a few shrines on the way as well. It's all good.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Started this again a few days ago and in a few sittings, I'm 3/4 through the main quest and still love it! Such an amazing place to spend time :)
Rarely play a game twice, maybe only OoT and this actually!

I think I"ll slow down now and level up a bit (I think also necessary) by exploring and finding some more temples.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Rather than take over the Zelda thread with it I wanted to post a cool video I saw a couple years ago on Breath of the Wild which IMO explains really well the genius of its design (which I accept is subjective, but in my subjective opinion it is that)

Reason I put this here and not in the Zelda thread is I've only played this and the Oracle games to completion. I played up to Jabu Jabu's belly in Ocarina and really didn't enjoy it, so I've not got the frame of reference to really rank a series like this or whatever. I'm a outsider to the whole series in general and the importance of Ocarina to 3d open world game design is something I appreciate and get but also don't particularly care about. But this game was revelatory to me and shook me out of my jaded take on open world games.

The way I see it BOTW is a multi-branched open world game. What I mean by that is every 'branch' is a path through a hill or down a valley, or up a cliff or mountain. Basically anything which you cant immediately see beyond because it is hidden by some sort of landmark or obstacle. The world is laid out in the form of mountains and cliffs and lots of things which obstruct your view and stamina is the gatekeeper which dictates what parts of the world you can scale and see beyond. It is not IMO meant to be a world you explore by sprinting and then walking while you recover your gauge, it's a game about looking for landmarks and ways up and around which will give you more things to look at and follow up on. It's a game littered with purely visual breadcrumbs in the form of the geography of Hyrule itself and what you see on the horizon. While this might not seem like a lot it is IMO fundamental to the way the game generates and sustains a feeling of discovery even when returning to a zone for the umpteenth time cause you might find something you did not notice before because last time you were there you couldn't climb the cliff that would have made you notice it more easily. Yeah there's not really any compelling story path or treasure that rewards your effort but the feeling of just 'going' is what makes it all work.

One thing I'll say is I 'only' spent 70 hours playing this versus the hundreds of hours I've put into a Bethesda game. Yet I still put this game above those ones for the reason that in a Bethesda game after about 20 hours of figuring the ropes out I settle into a routine of finding new story leads and chasing them down, becoming master of everything and not finding much friction or challenge along the way. But even tho it was much shorter almost every moment of Breath of the Wild was full of me making new discoveries and it took an extremely long time for me to settle into a routine with it, at which point I quickly looked to wrap things up (which you can do whenever you want which is also great).

Whether it was something simple like a new biome with new a new toybox of environmental gimmicks to play with or simply a new way of discovering how to explore and move around the world. It's why IMO the game loses itself with the whole divine beast dungeon thing cause it works best when it is this impulse driven game all about wanderlust. Like when you arrive in a new country and simply walk around finding interesting sights rather than immediately going to the recommended tourists spots. The game thrives when it abandons structure, which I imagine is one of the reasons why it doesn't always work for people cause old Zelda lives off structure and a compelling story driven journey from beginning to end. This game is more like you author your own more freeform discovery.

I'll also say this to something Sly just posted in the Zelda thread, I avoided this game for an entire year cause Maf over at GTM would not stop jizzing over it and I don't trust that guy's opinions on anything cause he's a comic book and pokemon addict. But even with the sky high expectations that got set for me somehow the spell still had an effect on me and totally worked. But I'll also say this is literally the only time that's ever happened for me with a game and it probably worked that way for me cause I was so jaded by the formula that Ubisoft and Bethesda have iterated on, so it's probably as likely if you're happy with the way those games are designed you mightn't have the same reaction as I did maybe

• 11 months later...