passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Jimboxy

So I finished the game without actually finding the memory in Hyrule Castle. Once I got there I didn’t want to burn through my healing items so I just headed for the boss.

That being said, I did fight a few Guardians and Lynels and for whatever reason they were doing a lot less damage than before. I guess having the Ancient Armour really helps with the Guardians. The Lynels were way easier than Lynels I had encountered in the wild, well mainly become they didn’t use the lightning move. I just used statis on them and blasted them with them the master sword. Guess now I can finally upgrade that Barbarian Armour I found around 50 hours ago..:

Thoughts on the final boss and the ending:

Spoiler

The final boss was easy but weird. When I had him down to very little health my sword just started pinging off him without seemingly doing any damage, but every now and then he would take a little damage for whatever reason, I’m not sure. So I just kept attacking his head and eventually he died. I suspect I was probably supposed to cut his legs like a normal guardian but I didn’t bother...

I cringed when I thought there was a second phase but thankfully that was more of a procession than anything else.

The ending was short (very short) but sweet. A lovely moment where Zelda asks Link “Do you remember me?” which I think will go down as one of those game endings that everyone remembers. And then of course the scene where Zelda and Link are looking up at the castle after the spirits of the Champions and the King have disappeared. Very nice.

I finished the game with 25.7% of the map explored.

My overall thoughts on the game? It’s a hard game to describe, and a hard game to rate,  but I wouldn’t give it 10/10. Probably a 9, if I had to put a number on it.

Its not a game of incredible highs and lows (although at best it is incredibly beautiful, at worst it just gets a little bit frustrating) but instead maintains a fairly consistent quality where the number one driving factor is exploration and discovery. It’s not an rpg but surprisingly does well in the loot department, over the course of 100 hours I was regularly finding newer and stronger equipment. There is no shortage of quests and compulsive things to do like finding the materials to upgrade your armour. 

So yeah, I guess the big strength of the game is the freedom and open-world design, a beautiful re-imagining of the world of Zelda. But this is at the cost of some of the strength of previous Zelda games, which of course were more directed (although it’s not as if the areas in games like Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess were small and didn’t reward exploration either), and centered around epic dungeons. 

If I had to pick maybe one negative (although I’m not sure if I even agree with this myself), is that they almost went too far, the game is almost too large. 

Overall, I had a wonderful time with it. Maybe some day I will come back and explore some more. It’s so different to previous Zelda’s that I struggle to compare it with them. Truth be told I probably prefer games like Twilight Princess and Link’s Awakening but then Breath of the Wild is a very different experience and great in its own way.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

2 years on and still learning things about this game. Like you can parry back lasers from small guardians. I forgot how great this game is. 

(I’m watching someone play it, I’m not actually playing it)

6 minutes ago, Maf said:

I just realised I can use my Skype headset and work to listen to YT. This soundtrack is amazing.

That's what I do. Work and listen to podcasts or yeah soundtracks, playlists etc. Ssssshhhhh

• 4 weeks later...

As some of you may know I’ve recently picked this up. Started it today, you know what? It just might be quite special this. I’m not anywhere near the biggest Nintendo or Zelda fan and there’s a lot of things about that this game I normally hate but it’s proper impressed me so far, loving it. Just got the glider and done a couple of shrines towards that main quest village I’m heading towards as a idea on progress. 

Couple of things, worth killing animals? How do I cook? I never saw a tutorial bit either so need to check that out. I can parry? How? 

As for issues?  Why doesn’t it auto equip weapons and shields when they break?  The stamina bar can fuck right off!! Already annoying me trying to run around and having to baby the run button. Speaking of buttons, as always the controls are completely unintuitive since it’s on a Nintendo console. I’ve died more times due to pressing incorrect button or forgetting which button to press because some don’t make sense. Menu pages are operated with the bumpers or triggers Nintendo not the right stick! The alphabet goes A-B and X-Y not B-A and Y-X, fuckinghell, always takes me ages to get used to the layout again when I play Nintendo consoles, then it fucks me up when I go back to Xbox and PS. This is a general issue though, still annoying! 

The actual game game is glorious so far though. ?

39 minutes ago, mfnick said:

Couple of things, worth killing animals? How do I cook? I never saw a tutorial bit either so need to check that out. I can parry? How?

Yes. Put stuff in your arms from the inventory menu by pressing X, then drop them in a cook pot. Hold block and then press A just as an attack is about to hit. I was shit at it and it was never a problem. 

The stamina bar can fuck right off!! 

Absolutely. It was the worst possible thing they introduced to the series in recent years. The main bugbear I have against Skyward Sword for introducing it.

37 minutes ago, Bob said:

Yes. Put stuff in your arms from the inventory menu by pressing X, then drop them in a cook pot. Hold block and then press A just as an attack is about to hit. I was shit at it and it was never a problem. 

Thank you. Regarding the cooking I’m sure I’ve tried doing that and they just bounced out but will try again. 

38 minutes ago, OCH said:

Absolutely. It was the worst possible thing they introduced to the series in recent years. The main bugbear I have against Skyward Sword for introducing it.

Yea, I understand it for climbing to restrict unlimited access but it goes against the whole exploration thing when they attach it to running. I’ve already seen a few points of interest I’d like to check out but couldn’t be arsed to get to them because of the running/stamina thing.