passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Jimboxy

About 5.5 hours today, 49.5 total. Would've been more but my Switch ran out of juice in handheld mode for a while so had to wait for it to charge before diving back in.

Started out collecting the rest of

the memories

, had about 5 from yesterday so used a guide and got the rest, all really easy to find once you're given a vague area to find it, the only one I had trouble with was the one in Hyrule Castle because of all the high-level enemies and how confusing it was to spot the exact location, spent ages going round and round trying to find the exact bridge/battlements that matched the photo and found it eventually after quite a while of looking.

So yeah, got all these and took them back to a Village where I got a prize for my efforts and one more location to explore, found this too.

I really like the cut-scenes, you feel really sad for Zelda, that she felt like she was powerless to stop the cataclysm from happening and her powers weren't awakening. Her voice actress is horrendous though, that faux-British distinctly American sounding voice.

Next I did a bit of exploring, there's an enemy near a lake I'd spotted earlier on but never really attempted to fight (didn't manage it and it disappeared when I respawned), so thought I'd take it on, whilst I was here I found a Shrine, not finding as many now really thanks to fast travelling everywhere and not doing quite as much clambering about, tempted to look up a guide on the net to find more of them, want to try to get as many as I can but don't want to spoil the exploration side of things.

After this I

had enough heart containers to get the Master Sword so travelled to the woods and pulled that sucker out! Pretty cool, but it is a bit annoying that it has to be recharged frequently, seems the damage goes up as it gets lower on energy or something as well? As it was on 30 when i got it but 60 a bit later, who knows.

Didn't really know what to do after this as a lot of the side-quests and shrine quests I had in my log were dead-ends or ones that required a lot of leg work, I did try to do the white horse one but still didn't have enough stamina to tame it, so I FINALLY decided to head to

Zora's Domain

and start the first 'dungeon'.

Really liked the whole quest to get to Zora's domain, felt like a gauntlet of sorts and I liked that the game tested you a bit to make sure you were ready to be in that area, I was massively overlevelled at this point so just breezed through everything without any problems, but I can see players early in the game with a low number of hearts struggling with that journey into the Domain.

The art style was amazing once you got in as well, took a few screenshots on my Switch, textures are a little rough but it has a very alien other-worldy kind of feel to it that doesn't feel like anywhere else in Hyrule and feels very uniquely 'Zora' as soon as I got in there I started hearing the Zora melody from Ocarina in my head. Continued with the main quest, all straightforward stuff really, had tons of shock arrows (but still slew the centaur thing at the top of the mountain) as tons of hearts so wasn't fussed about anything, had a little trouble getting into the beast as it kept making me go up the wrong waterfall so I couldn't get a shot off, but I did it after a while without too many issues.

The dungeon itself though, rather underwhelming, feels like the ones you get at the start of Majora's Mask or something really. Very underwhelming, made me feel really stupid too as I couldn't unlock one of the podium's and the solution was so damn obvious, had to look up a guide to get through one of the puzzles but once I realised the Elephant can move it made things much easier. Should hopefully slay the boss and/or Beast tomorrow.

Fucking session. Woke up at 3am, couldn't sleep, played untill 830am. Divine Beast the second is dispatched, my hearts have increased from 5 to 14, I'm fully equipped for the cold or the heat and everything is wonderful.

In some games, when there's so much to do it feels overwhelming and can become choresome. In this game I'm always excited at the fuck ton of tasks it has to offer. I'm enjoying this so much.

1 hour ago, illdog said:

Fucking session. Woke up at 3am, couldn't sleep, played untill 830am. Divine Beast the second is dispatched, my hearts have increased from 5 to 14, I'm fully equipped for the cold or the heat and everything is wonderful.

In some games, when there's so much to do it feels overwhelming and can become choresome. In this game I'm always excited at the fuck ton of tasks it has to offer. I'm enjoying this so much.

I'm just about to take on my second divine beast (I stopped at the 'are you read to proceed bit'). Really enjoyed the lead up to it as well. The are i'm in is probably my favourite part of the game so far - spent loads of time poking around ruins and climbing mountains. Also fighting some higher level enemies that take more than a couple of whacks to the chops to take down. Probably uncovered 2/3 of the map as well, although barely explored half of that.

You know the drill by now, 4 hours played today, 54.5 total.

After not enjoying yesterday's session too much today was back to being bloody amazing.

Started off in the belly of my first beast and finished the puzzles here off with ease, then after 50 hours with the game I had my first boss fight...

and well, it was incredible underwhelming really, cool design to it and all but I just felt WAY over levelled for it, a few whacks of the Sword and it was down to half health, second phase begins, few arrows to its head and that was that, piece of piss,

I think Dark Souls/Nioh has spoiled be for awesome boss fights.

Nevertheless I did enjoy beating it and the ensuing cut scenes showing everything had been resolved in the Zora's domain were really cool, jolly and satisfying.

Cleared up a few side quests I had here for some rewards and then headed for

Death Mountain where the next Divine Beast is.

Can I ask you guys what order you've done the Beasts in?

I was gonna do Zora > Goron > Rito > Gerudo but I've heard it's best to do Zora > Tito > Goron > Gerudo on the net,

just wondering what you guys have done?

Of course when I got to Eldin Tower I got massively distracted by some shrines and other things, then decided to chalk off a few side quests. Got quite a few done, lots of cooking ingredients for someone, an ice staff for another, dragonflies and crickets. Found the ice staff by accident but the dragonflies and cooking ingredients I had to look up, had 9 out of 10 crickets so found another in Hyrule Field.

Some shrine quests after that took me back to Eldin, then another on the coast which I couldn't find, another up Mount Leyarhru

which evolved into a semi-boss fight against one of the dragons which was really cool,

lots more exploring too, attempted to get a Scale from another

dragon

thing but to no avail so will try again another time.

I did elephant man first. Death Mountain is too hot for me atm and I assume one is somewhere cold? I don't have anything fluffy to keep me warm. There's potions obviously but I'd rather not have to worry and keep digging into the menu. I'm just trying to go through the memories atm and taking my time as well as balancing watching a movie and talking to the gf. Probably about 40 hours in but not been timing it and there's no way of knowing properly.

Also I got the dlc but haven't been back to the great potato to pick up the stuff. 

I rekon I'm 45-50 hours in. 54 shrines down, 2 divine beasts and a whole lot of exploring.

It's odd, I had a warm fluffy jacket before I left the first plateau. That just goes to show how different everyone's adventure can be.

I've also had a level 50 sword since just after the beginning call Edge of Duality, I cant even remember where I got it from.

I've been using tablet mode to explore but the meat and veg stuff I do on the telly, I feel like I'm missing out on the full experience on the tablet but it sure is awesome taking a dump whilst looking for new shrine locations.

That is a fantastic way of getting around...hadnt thought about that.

Ive had a few times when ive rolled one down a slope and at the last second Link, the daft bugger, has clung to it rather than continue to push it and just gone along for the ride, often leading to death.

15 hours ago, mr lakitu said:

Has anyone tried…

Reveal hidden contents

I thought I was going to do a sick.

I literally posted a Twitter video link of this on the previous page, shows how much people read my posts I guess :lol:

Also my profile page switched ( ;) ) to 'over 55 hours played' today too, was wondering when it would do it as I thought it was 7 days, appears to be 10 (for Euro folks anyway).

Sorry mate @Blakey. I've mostly been posting and trying not to read stuff tbh to avoid spoilers (not really spoilers to most though, I'm quite silly with what I consider a spoiler).

Its cool it shows up after 10 days. Bizzare and all but good that it's there. In a way in time it's better as it'll be one place for a long list. But also, quite bizzare as it must have taken more work to implement :unsure: I guessed at my time and pretty spot on. As mine is 45 and yours 55 tho I do wonder if it only raises in 5 hours each time :blink:

1 hour ago, mr lakitu said:

Sorry mate @Blakey. I've mostly been posting and trying not to read stuff tbh to avoid spoilers (not really spoilers to most though, I'm quite silly with what I consider a spoiler).

Its cool it shows up after 10 days. Bizzare and all but good that it's there. In a way in time it's better as it'll be one place for a long list. But also, quite bizzare as it must have taken more work to implement :unsure: I guessed at my time and pretty spot on. As mine is 45 and yours 55 tho I do wonder if it only raises in 5 hours each time :blink:

Yeah I've similarly been avoiding reading too much in here, I'll read everything properly when I've finished it. And yeah i think it is 5 hour intervals, mine was 75, now it's 80, i had some days off to play it :D

Haha that's fair enough no worries @mr lakitu  :)

Mine is up to 'over 60 hours' now, I put in about 6 hours today so I guess that's probably why.

I wanted to clear up all the Shrine quests and some of the simpler side quests I had in my log to clear some of them out, so I was travelling here, there and everywhere really finishing bits and pieces off all over the map. Started in

Zora's

Domain and surprisingly there were a TON more side quests available (thought I'd previously got all the ones here but I guess not), all pretty standard stuff really, mostly fetch quests to find materials and another to find some stone tablets or something, the Shrine Quest was really interesting though but I had to look up how to do it as those damn riddles are so cryptic.

Another couple of cool Shrine quests involving Wind and one right up in the Leharyu mountain following some trees which was great, had to look up exactly how to do the former but it was rather straightforward and damn satisfying after I got the hang of it. In my one my side quests for the Zora's I also managed to get an item which would enable me to unlock my second Spring Shrine in the Jungle area, so I went there and did that shortly after.

So yeah, got tons of quests done, whittled all the shrine quests down to 1 in my log and only a handful of side quests so thought it was time to go back to the main quest-line so made my way to

Rito

Village to see what was going down. Loved this village and the way it fits in with that particular race so fantastically, the song that plays as you're walking up and down the stairs talking to everyone is just sublime too, such a jolly place to be, loved talking to everyone here and soaking up the atmosphere but it was a little small and didn't seem quite as well-fleshed out as some of the other villages I've experienced,

Zora's

domain in comparison is ridiculously big. Didn't take me long to talk to everyone and meet up with the Elder so i could get to my task of taking down the Second Beast.

After this it was a bit underwhelming though, there was no gauntlet-like quest along winding mountains like with the

Zora's

, it just pointed you to go somewhere, said 'you might need some cold resistant foods or clothing' and that was it really, made my way to the spot, did a 3 minute mini-game popping some targets with arrows and then I was asked 'are you ready?' by the Champion.

Spoiler

So up on the Beast we go, shoot a few bomb arrows at some targets (the first part really reminded me of the finale of Independence Day strangely :lol: ) and then I enter the belly of the beast.

This dungeon was WAY easier for me than the first, I guess it helped that I knew what I would be doing with finding all the podiums and stuff this time around, but even so I guess I just found this one much more logical...it helped that I found the map almost straight away and didn't miss it and fumble about miserably like I did with the first dungeon though :lol:. It didn't go on too long, some Shrines I've done lasted WAY longer, but I really enjoyed it, the frustration of the first wasn't there, everything was straightforward and logical and I sailed through it without having to look up anything. The boss was a massive disappointment again though, just used stasis on him, whacked him with the Master Sword, few bomb arrows and he went down in about 3 minutes.

Returned to the Village and left it there for the day, 2 Beasts down, 2 to go!

Probably put in another 3ish hours today, 63.5 total. Had to go out in the middle of the session to pick up my Headset, then had to open it etc. once I got back so that wasted a lot of possible Zelda time.

Regardless I did get quite a lot of stuff done, all the side-quests in

Rito

were ticked off the list, not as many there (and nowhere near as good as the

Zora

ones but a couple of interesting Shrine quests which had my scratching my head slightly and were damn satisfying once I figured out what I needed to do. 

After this I had one remaining Shrine quest right high up in the Hydra mountains where it's super cold, bought some new cold resistant trousers in a shop for 600 rupees (got like 7K now, 600 is nothing to me :P ) and combined with my warm dorner shirt so I could resist the bitter cold of those mountains, and went off exploring really. Started out from the nearby Hydra tower and trekked my way up in the general direction where I thought the Shrine Quest was pushing me too.

Of course I got hopelessly distracted along the way, found a ton of Shrines (one puzzle to get in one really reminded me of The Witness), encountered some new animals and enemies along the way, once I reached the summit I saw this really cool Cabin with someone inside, felt so awesome trekking all that way up on foot and seeing a semblance of civilisation. Of course this whole area really reminded me of Skyrim as well, even felt cold whilst playing it and could barely see in front of me because of all the blizzards, eventually made it to the summit I was looking for after some help from the net and found the Shrine.

Now up to about 67 Shrines complete I believe and have 22 spirit orbs to get some hearts/stamina when I go back to the game later today. Will do a little more exploring in this area as it's damn cool and mysterious and then make my way to the Volcano I think.

4.5 hours today., 68 total.

Started off in the snowy area right in the middle of a blizzard, had another quest to do that was in the far North East of this area so meandered my way round to there, finding and completing lots of Shrines along the way and finding a few Korok seeds. Once I reached my destination I couldn't help but stand in awe at the

Spoiler

huge metal structure in front of me, as soon as I entered it said something like 'North Horoi Labrynth' and I was like DAMN, this was so damn cool. I'd wondered what the condensed strange looking structures on the 4 corners of the map were and now I knew, they were actually mazes! Made my way inside and was thoughts immediately turned to the Hampton Court grass Maze I used to go round with my parents when I was a kid.

The scale of this thing was absolutely ridiculous, it absolutely TOWERS above you, I thought for sure there would be some high-end boss lurking around the corner or something, but it was actually relatively sedate. Bypassed the ooze on the left and eventually made my way round anti-clockwise, got lost a TON of times but eventually managed to find my way to a ladder which led me to the tantalising Shrine inside.

Just outside this

Spoiler

structure

was the creature I was looking for on my initial quest so I took a picture of this and then made my way to the far North West corner to try to find another structure for another side quest.

I was looking for some huge Leviathan bones which were buried deep in the tundra apparently, had to use a guide to locate it as I was just not getting anywhere, once I got there I had to roll a boulder down a hill in order to open the doors to a Shrine and the bones themselves, got another 2 sets to find in Eldin and Garudo.

Turned in a couple of other side quests using fast travel and then decided to continue with the main quest-line, so transported myself to Eldin tower. Made my way up to the mountain, thought I could get away with running from hot spring to hot spring to stop myself getting set on fire, but it didn't really work so I loaded up on some Elixirs and followed the path up towards

Spoiler

Goron City.

Again, I was kind of disappointed by the design of this place, it just seemed a bit too small and now too impressive. It had a lot of character, and I loved talking to all the NPCs as with any new town I find, but I couldn't help but be slightly underwhelmed, not many side quests here either, just found the one to slay a Talus on the other side of a Lava pit so went and did this, then back to Goron City to buy some fireproof clothes for my adventures and on with the main quest-line.

By now I had a good idea how this was gonna turn out and sure enough, I speak to the Elder and he points me to the guy who'll help me get to the Beast in this region. Travel to the huge Lava Pit nearby and rescue this kid, have a little explore here taking out some enemy encampments and finding a few more Shrines.

One of the Shrines here 'Blue Flame' I think it was called, was absolutely hard as nails and took bloody ages to finish, easily the longest Shrine I've come across, some of the puzzles had me scratching me head an awful lot and the final puzzle of the Shrine I actually had to look up as I was sitting there stumped for a good 15-20 minutes.

Spoiler

Found a damn cool Indiana Jones/Donkey Kong style mine-cart you use bombs to travel along a track in this area too. Once I explored all I wanted to I went back to Goron City and followed the main quest-line again, spoke to the Elder, found (and rescued) the Kid once again then we made our way up the mountain and into the beast. Pleased to say the setup to get into the Beast was a lot different than the first two dungeons where you had to essentially take down a Beasts defences by air and sea. This time around there was a semi-stealth section up the mountain avoiding sentries whilst you and your Goron friend made it up, if you set off a sentry the Volcano would erupt and almost kill me so it was bloody frustrating at times, still enjoyed the change of pace from the other two though but pleased when I made it into the Beast.

Left it here for today, the 3rd beast is getting taken out tomorrow!

I have wrangled in a second Divine Beast amongst other things.  I also went back to that island and owned it.  I really feel like getting a better understanding of the game makes it easier, it's not just easier cos I have better stats because I don't, really.

I'm now trying to figure out how to complete my Zora armour set.  I'm sure someone mentioned something about the helmet in the game but it's not in my quest log anywhere.