passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Jimboxy

I'm all about the bombs, they're a life saver. Been doing a side mission in Gerudo Desert, looking for this dudes friends. I'm having to navigate thin wooden platforms crawling with Bokoblins. Let them see you, drop a square bomb, run away, detonate, watch them fall!

I took a small settlement of enemies out this way with round bombs as well, I was above them, high enough that they couldn't see me so I just played the long game. The wind was blowing my bombs along the ground in different directions, loved it.

Any one manage to tame that giant horse? He's all black with an orange mane.

I'm in that 'cant get enough' phase, this game is all i wanna do.

I spent quite a bit of time in the Gerudo Desert, I've managed to get in to the main town which isn't as straight forward as it seems and I have to do a mission before I can take on the Divine Beast in that area. That didn't seem straight forward, i think i was where I was supposed to be but wasn't sure if I'd progressed enough with conversations and the like to trigger the game forward. It took a bit of getting to (sand seal surfing ftw!) and as i made my way back to try to fix my problem i got killed by a FUCKING MASSIVE BOSS. I didn't even see it, i saw an energy bar and i was dead.

After that I was all like fuck it, I'll do something easier so I went Zora way. The walk to the destination was just awesome, the scenery in all the rain looked amazing and I was just happy to be there. Nice change from the desert anyway.

I did the Zora way first and it was really enjoyable, not had a go at any of the other main areas but been exploring around them and i dont like them as much so far lets just say.

I got massively massively sidetracked by this quest i was desperate to do and it span off into me basically having to do about 20 shrines to get what I wanted, so thats taken up the last few days of my play time and taken me well out of the groove I was in but the result is I got this super cool thing and im way stronger now, im taking down enemies that I previously would have run from with such ease.

Im having another go at that island next, now im a bit stronger and a bit more worldly wise. I think im going to put off trying to beat the big baddie until as long as possible, although I might go and explore the castle a little bit if it lets me.

Ive only got four land masses that ive not found the towers for now and the map looks really cool, theyve put together a really great little world I think.

I genuinely think this is one of the best gaming experiences ive had, its been challenging but not unbeatable, its been really enjoyable and its so so immersive, the landscapes you go through look and feel amazing. This game alone for me has justified getting the Switch.

I've done the elephant and am at a boss within said elephant. I ran out of bows 

Spoiler

And the bastard clings to the ceiling and its impossible to hit with weapons as much as I tried.

So I need to gather bows and head back. 

Some of these posts are a little spoilery for my liking, please folks can we use the spoiler function when detailing bosses, dungeons or story elements, ta :)

Played another 6 hours since my last post, 27 total.

Still not really sure about it, really enjoyed my brief session last night pottering about in some villages, doing a few side quests and shrines, this one in particular finding some hidden treasure behind a waterfall was great, bit piratey too. Couldn't stop thinking about playing it last night in bed but today's session just didn't really resonate with me again.

I found another village and I loved pottering around here, talking to everyone and soaking up the jolly vibes, finally found somewhere to upgrade my health/stamina too which was handy, also found the guy who enlarges your inventory.

Continued the main quest a bit then went off exploring again doing a load more shrines and unlocking another tower and this is where the boredom set in, I think I've come to the conclusion that although the shrines are needed to progress, are damn good and satisfying at times I just don't enjoy doing them that much at all, especially back to back, feels like a needless chore.

Saying that though I'm thinking about going back in and playing some more as I'm typing this, its got something about it for sure but I'm just not sure I can join the circle jerk just yet.

Don't know if anyone knows this yet, but is there a way to get a map that shows all the shrines?

Don't tell me how, who or when if there is, just a yes or no so I know whether to prepare for an assassins creed style loot spree or not!

My first boss encounter, in my opinion only highlights the poorness of the lock-on. It was fucking all over the place. If you're too far away instead of locking it centers the camera, Link then may as well drop trou and spread those cheeks. It all takes place in one room, surely you could lock on wherever you are? That doesn't sound hard.

I died alot, probably 12-13 times, didn't enjoy it and glad its done. My left joycon chose this fight to start disconnecting too. First real negative experience with this game. Back to the good stuff now, exploring.

"Then, midway through production, Satoru Iwata, Miyamoto’s friend and mentor and Nintendo’s well-loved president, died, suddenly and unexpectedly. “When he passed away, there were moments we’d come up with an idea which we’d be excited to talk to Iwata about,” Fujibayashi told me. “Then we’d remember he was no longer here. Miyamoto told me it was the same for him. He’d come up with an idea at the weekend and would feel excited to speak to Iwata about it on Monday, only to remember. The sadness runs deep. This is approaching spiritual talk, but we had the sense that he was watching over our work. That became a source of motivation, a drive for us to improve and be better.”

Another 9 hours spent on this since my last post, 36 total.

Didn't do an awful lot last night, just pottered about in one of the Villages really, opening another tower or two and doing a load more shrines. Tried to figure out some of the riddles for the Shrine quests and side quests too but didn't really get anywhere, anytime something is cryptic I usually can't work it out too well, I wish for some of them they'd give you at least a vague idea where you're meant to be going instead of putting the objective marker at the quest giver, can be rather annoying sometimes. Think I've done about 32 Shrines, got 8 hearts and 1 stamina upgrade with 12 spirit orbs on me at the moment.

Started out today exploring the Gerudo desert, found a few shrines here along with a stables which gave me an interesting side quest to rescue his 4 comrades, used illdog's recommendation of the bombs on the wooden platforms and it does work like a treat, blew the enemies completely off and tumbling to their death, damn fun and one of the best side-quests I've done yet. After this I decided to do a bit more exploring around this area and finally managed to spot one of the last 2 remaining towers I needed to unlock the whole map, so I made my way up here through a load of enemies and up more wooden scaffolding until I reached the tower. 

Got a fantastic view of the desert from all the way up here so I could see little dots of civilisation in the distance so of course I wanted to explore, sailed down to the surface and discovered a Bazaar Oasis type area and then I trekked to a town but couldn't get in :( did the Shrine here though to unlock fast travel back when I figure out how to get in.

At this point I only had one Tower left to unlock, so I looked up how to melt ice (wood and flint) and made my way over to the last remaining tower and unlocked it, the ENTIRE map is now unlocked! Damn that was a satisfying feeling, reminiscent of clearing the entire world in an Assassin's Creed game for me, thought I might get some special prize for doing so but it doesn't appear to be the case.

After this I went back to doing side-quests for a while, I had TONS I hadn't done sitting in my quest log so I made a start on the ones I thought I could realistically do. Finding some gourmet meat was harder than I thought, had to look it up where to get some and eventually killed a wolf and it appeared, took it back to the quest giver to knock this one off, then I travelled to another stables and killed a few horse-back enemies to complete another quest. I then warped over to the villages in the East and did a quest where I had to collect Chickens here (had to look up the location of the last 2 as I couldn't find them :blush:), gave a women a carrot and played tag with a kid to tick another two of the list.

Thought I'd continue with the main quest line for a bit as I've neglected it severely so far, travelled to a Village and spoke to a women who could awaken the full potential of my Sheikah Slate, of course she wanted something in return so I had to lug some blue fire up a mountain for her before she'd perform the ritual on my Slate.

This unlocked a camera mode (was expecting more to be honest) and a load of photos taken by Zelda,

I travelled to one of them after this expecting to get a gem or something but nothing happened unfortunately so I'm not sure what's up with them. 

The quest-giver at the village pointed me to another location way up in Akkala in the North-East of Hyrule, so I set that as my objective, warped there, completed a nearby shrine and discovered another mad scientist type...of course I then had to perform the fire ritual again, this time it was MUCH longer, filled with tons of enemies and rather frustrating at times, but I managed it eventually, and that's where I left it really.

It has taken a hell of a long time but the game has finally got its claws in me, I'm hooked and besotted, even watching the footy earlier all I could think about was playing a few more hours of this, tonight in bed will be much the same, not sure what has changed exactly, less Shrines today definitely helped but something just clicked with me and the world the past 10 hours or so that I just didn't feel at the beginning. I got so side tracked by doing all the different quests, talking to different people and discovering new villages and stables, it just has that Skyrim quality to it that manages to constantly divert your attention onto something new whilst keeping you immersed in such a well-realised world.

I couldn't see how this game was a 10/10 in my first 20 hours, but I definitely can now. Echos of Ocarina, definitely the best Zelda I've played since as well.

Also, this is fucking amazing:

I rekon I'm about 25 hours in, done about 16 hours in the past 2 days. I'm not a huge fan of the combat and the motion puzzles can fuck off but I pretty much love everything else.

I've never felt so inclined to explore every nook and cranny of a map, I find myself constantly having to make decisions on where to go - be sensible and explore the high ground first, go to the tower, mark shrines on the way, get distracted by 10 things despite myself. Wait, that area looks like one of Zelda's photo... And so on. You don't want to miss anything just in case its a power up or something special.

I do find the game to be ruthless, it kicks your ass in a second and is always looking for opportunities to do so.

I'm also constantly taking screenshots, I'm logging my adventure as I play. Its a nice option to have, especially when some crazy shit happens.

I'm about 19 hours in now and have just beat the first 'dungeon'. It seems to get better the more you play it, and it's pretty damn awesome from the get go. I love how there is next to no hand holding at all. It gives such a genuine sense of freedom throughout the game world. I genuinely believe this is Nintendo's magnum opus.

It also has some of the greatest NPCs, first time i've gone out of my way to talk to everyone in a game!

Had a little wander around the castle just to see what's what earlier on. There are a lot of very tough enemies there. I've got a special item that massively helps me out and I found it very tough. Even using some of my most powerful weapons you are basically looking at a weapon lasting you two enemies and then breaking. One big fucker took two high level weapons to kill. Think I'm going to enjoy the game for a bit before going there. 

Another 4 hours for me earlier, 40 total.

Another day spent exploring and doing side quests really, with a few main quests (which felt like side quests?) thrown in for good measure.

Carried on where I left off yesterday in the far North East in Akkala at a Lab, exhausted all the quest options remaining here, overheard a few NPC's talking about a Shrine and an NPC at a lake nearby so made my way down there to see what the fuss was about, found the Shrine easy enough and surprisingly as soon as I went in there was nothing to do at all it just had 'Xena's Blessing' or something, an orange chest in front of me and then the blue shrine which gives you the spirit orb at the end, was a bit of a what the fu*k? Kind of moment, not encountered any like this so far.

It's kind of fun now to try to guess what kind of Shrine you're going to get before you go in, Puzzle based but in only 1 room? A combat test? A 'blessing'? A motion controlled one? Or one that is more like Zelda dungeons of old and repeats a mechanic throughout its multiple rooms? You never really know what you're gonna get, often I find myself closing my eyes on the lift down and saying 'combat test!' in my head and then finding out its a puzzle room and I'm like dang it, I got it wrong...maybe that's just me oversharing slightly though :lol: :blush:

Found this really funny Monster guy in this same lake too that is only accessible at night, he sells Monster parts which is quite funny, you sell him a load of your monster guts and he gives you 'mon' in return. Not much to buy though, a few potions which enhance recipes and a Bokoblin mask. The mask if fucking amazing, running around with it on it kind of makes the Bokoblin noise when you run about and you can get right in the faces of a group of them and they won't have a clue who you are, can just lay a bomb at their feet and blow them all the smithereens without worrying about sneaking into an encampment now :D

Did a few main quests after this, but nothing to do with the main plotline at all, felt more like side story's even though they weren't labelled as such.

Spoiler

Went back to a couple of the villages out East to talk to a couple of key NPC's, one ancient being and one mad Scientist type. The Scientist enhanced my Sheikah Slate capabilities even more which means Statis can be used against enemies (which makes a HUGE difference in combat) and my remote bombs bigger, also unlocked a camera function and an ability to make the Sheikah Sensor sense enemies, food etc. instead of just Shrines too, all incredibly handy.

After this I had a few Shrines stamped on my map that I'd neglected for some reason so went back to near the

Spoiler

Zora

area and explored the plains here, did another 3 shrines whilst discovering 3 or 4 stables in the process, absolutely loved just pottering about here, there was a really funny interaction with an NPC obsessed with flowers near one of the shrines too which was great.

So yeah, plenty more exploring for me today, a load more Shrines done, think I'm up to about 40 now and I've not even touched the main questline at all really, damn this game is huge and bloody good.

The

Stasis upgrade

makes the little Guardians in the Shrines a doddle now but the big guys still scare the living shit outta me.

Anyhoo, another 4 hours for me earlier, 44 total. Planning a mammoth session all day tomorrow so didn't wanna over do it today.

Has a good idea where the

Master Sword

is thanks to the numerous hints from various NPCs at stables and towns. Love how organic the tips feels, like here say down the pub or in a small town/village in real life. Never explicitly tells you either, just gives you a damn good ballpark to work with,

it helps that it's in the same locale as the Korok guy too so if you go looking for him you'll find it.

So made my way to the area and immediately got stuck on the puzzle to enter, the first part was easy with the torches showing the way but after this I got a bit stumped, spent ages trying to suss it out on my own but eventually had to look it up,

turns out you follow your torch's ember trail to lead the way. Did this and soon reached the location I was looking for, wasn't strong enough yet (12 hearts) to wield the item so put it on the back burner and went off exploring around the Woods

. Great to see an

old favourite character in the Deku Tree return too! A real nostalgic moment.

The Trials immediately stoked my interest so I set about doing them, one gauntlet, one insta-fail stealth section and one using Magnesis to guide the way to 3 different shrines in the vicinity. I enjoyed them all but the gauntlet outstayed its welcome slightly, was getting real frustrated with it at times.

After this I decided to try to find all the

memory

locations, had a good idea where a few of them were so they were easy to find, looked a few up after too and have about half found so far, completed a few shrines whilst exploring too, one had me real stumped with a load of constellations on the wall and balls you had to put in to pots. Was a great eureka moment when I worked it out.

So yeah, just loads of exploring today really,

cool seeing some more of the past too through the cut scenes but the voice acting let's them down slightly,

have heard the Japanese and Latin American Voice Actors are WAY better than the English ones.

Got to and through the lost woods today. Found 

Spoiler

the master sword.

Not sure what I make of the top left of the map. Can't see a bloody thing.

Can we have a minutes silence for Opena please. My first and loving horse succumbed death by falling a few hundred feet :( If only I'd whistled. I was in too much shock :unsure: She was on a cliff edge. It was like a horsey version of the final scene in Italian job.