passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Jimboxy

So now that I've escaped Oxford and I'm back home I've finally had the chance to set up the switch and play around in Hyrule.

I've been murdered by a guardian, the wildlife, the cold and twice by cold water. Normally I'd be getting frustrated at this point but...

Spoiler

I'm heading up the mountain towards the shrine there and two of the fuck ups were in the water before I noticed the panel I could use the magnet power on.

...anyway, the one thing I don't like is the... I don't want to say lack of hand-holding, but I stumbled across how to cook a meal, they could have given me a clue!

Less than 2 hours in a the minute though, so I'll give it a couple more hours tomorrow night.

Got in from a Poker night at a mates house and played another 2ish hours early yesterday morning and another 8 hours (with a break to watch Top Gear and have Dinner) the entirety of yesterday.

My thoughts haven't changed all that much from my previous post but I have enjoyed it more today. I guess the rhythm of going to Shrines, completing them then finding a tower, figuring out the Puzzle to scale it (a lot now are blocked with obstacles and/or enemies) and reveal that region of the map, damn satisfying just seeing all that blue suddenly fade away and reveal all the details of the landscape, almost Assassin's Creed-esque really, the game particularly reminds me of Black Flag at times (without the pirate vibe and water obviously :lol: ), just with all the climbing, Shrines and finding hidden bits and pieces scattered about sometimes I found myself hearkening back to playing that.

The gameplay loop still hasn't really changed though, I've not learnt anything new or found anything more to the world apart from Shrines and Towers that are worth bothering with, a couple of stables are a nice sight on the horizon as you immediately feel relaxed getting there and chatting to all the travellers in the stables. Sometimes it's crazy how much climbing is involved, I'd say the majority of my play time today has been scaling mountains or finding a way up them to reach something at the summit, seem to always be climbing.

Finished my first side-quest today too, a guy wanted me to climb a Tower (which I was heading for anyway) and then find a

Fairy

, he gave me 500 rupees to pay respects to her, found her easy enough and gave her 100 rupees to come out of her hiding hole, enhances your gear too which is helpful.

One of the Shrines I encountered really frustrated me, it was all based on motion-controls, the first 2 puzzles were fine but the last one required a level of precision to do and the motion controls just weren't precise enough to handle it, must've been at it for at least an hour just stuck on this puzzle, eventually managed to figure out how to cheese it by lighting my arrows on fire, but it did feel like I'd hit a brick wall almost. Another today I had to leave after I got my arse handed to my by a high level enemy inside, even my 50 damage sword I picked up early on in Hyrule Field was doing next to no damage so I'll leave this one for later.

Kind of wish there was some kind of benefit to combat to, 9 times out of 10 I'll just leg it away from enemies as I can't be arsed to fight them, whereas if my combat ability or whatever improved by fighting I'd definitely do it more often, just seems like a waste of Hearts at the moment really, hardly use any food items either as I just die and then retry from my last save/checkpoint with an almost full health bar.

Think I've got about 15 upgrade drops from the Shrines to spend (if I could find where to spend them now), so should be able to get a couple more hearts and a couple more stamina upgrades or something tomorrow, pretty sure I've explored more or less everywhere I want to now so will make my way over to the East, explore some more there and eventually continue the main quest-line, got about half the map revealed now so it's nice to know where everything is in Hyrule.

Okay so I've not been wandering aimlessly all that much.  I got overwhelmed and decided to focus on one main quest and saw it through.

I found myself in the going in the direction Zoras live so I saw that quest line to the end.  I won't say much cos spoilers but be prepared for some hard fuckers.  The big bad at the end of the quest line was ridiculous and the "dungeon" it was in just didn't even feel like a Zelda dungeon; if anything the remind me more of areas in recent Tomb Raider games.

But I think I'll explore a bit now.  I was really underpowered for that quest but I know feel like I've got a better idea what to expect and will prepare better.  I got a nifty new garment that has an ability that will make exploring some areas easier so off I go again.

After initial annoyance as I don't generally like open world games especially ones with massive maps, don't like breakable weapons and the inventory management that brings, and generally feeling Zelda was bringing in ideas from other games that I don't like.....I'm really really enjoying it now :D not been reading much about it, have looked up what I can safely sell, and a bit about the cooking. Started off doing the main quests yesterday, but today I've just been exploring, not doing much fighting, mainly running away from stuff. Had a crazy hard fight with this mad bastard enemy, I like that you can save anywhere, first time I used nearly all my food, broke all my swords and still died, probably should have given up but went back in and kicked ass...Well still used loads of swords/arrows/food but it's dead and I'm alive. Well I've died loads, mainly by trying to swim somewhere. Anyway yeah it's great.

9 hours ago, ThreeFour said:

You two gonna have hate sex? :wub::lol:

Mark already hates sex, thats why he is so grumpy all the time.

Going to put everything in a spoiler, and its actually quite spoilery so be warned. I wont post anything about how I actually found things or did certain quests, but will just talk about some of the areas etc.

Spoiler

I dont know how many hours ive played now but I feel like im really getting into the game.

I actually love the image finding parts of the game, where you have to go certain places to restore your memories. I found the one that a mystery person says they recognise but are quite vague about where it is. I had to teleport to a tower id been to then basically climb a mountain and then handglided over the area that was mentioned. 

I also did a few more shrines and did the zora dungeon boss thing. I thought that whole bit was just so well done ande actually disagree that it didnt feel like a zelda puzzle, I thought it was really like an updated version, loved figuring out how to get all the treasure chests and stuff. I felt like the boss was really hard and loved getting into the dungeon area too, luckily I had just cooked a shit ton of meals in preparation and just managed to get through by the skin of my teeth, used a load of bows and most of my cool arrows but I think thats just what you are going to need to do for those sort of areas from now on, which im fine with. 

I got a reward for doing that dungeon that im not sure but I think it makes me invincible effectively? it seems to say that it will revive me whenever I die with five hearts, and its a key item so looks like its a sort of ability.

Im going to go exploring a bit now with my new equipment and see what the game has to offer basically, might try and find the areas in the memory pictures.

More generally, I have done loads of shrines and puzzles in what im fairly certain isnt the 'intended way' but I love that if you make the puzzle work, then thats the right way. Usually it involves me being awesome with bombs and a little bit cheaty with the stasis power, but again, any holes a goal as they say.

I have a hunch, based on nothing, that there must be a master sword somewhere in this game that doesnt break as im getting a bit fed up of the durability thing, not that its ever a problem as I usually find that im having to drop weapons in order to pick up better ones, even with expanded inventory.

I wonder if there was something like a master sword, if it would be gated off until youve done X objective, like the snes' Link to the past made you get the three pendants before you could get it. In that case it would be a waste of time trying to find it now... might look online to see if it exists and if its worth my time at the moment. I could imagine that being a really incredible quest if you have to just search for it.

EDIT: Thinking about it, if it did exist, im pretty sure they will eventually point you towards it, knowing Zelda games.

I had a much better 1 and a half hour session going where the game wanted me to go than a 3  hour session yesterday going where I wanted to go.

Going in an aimless direction is fine but you have to be prepared to die alot or just run as much as you can, this takes the shine of exploring a little as your being cagey. I did quite a difficult(ish) shrine as well, really felt like it was supposed to be another 6 or 7 shrines down the line. In opposition, going toward the main quest objectives brought me a few needed items, my first horse, gentler enemies (I dispatched of 5 bokonobolins, 4 at one time) whereas yesterday I was dying with one hit kills which is frustrating to say the least. Also, the shrines were super short and relatively easy.

There's definately a curve in play then, it's still great that you can go where you want but i'm enjoying it much more following a path.

Just a side note to say how awesome it is to stumble upon NPC's. This game does such a great job of making you feel alone with it's sparse music and emphasis on weather effects and sounds, coming across my first stable and it being populated by 5 or 6 people felt a real treat. Also keep meaning to say how serious the death screams of the enemies are, they're real gut wrenching cries - awesome stuff.

I know exactly how you feel @illdog.

Just came off a 2 hour session myself going towards the first main quest markers outside the starting area (after 21ish hours of exploring around the rest of Hyrule) and the game finally clicked with me for the first time, making my way up this path that meandered through some mountains, doing a few Shrines, switching on a tower and encountering a Stables. Talking to some folks there, learning of some treasure found at the end of a river a way away and then encountering my first proper town for the first time, everything just felt like it had come together, something about this road and the way it weaved its way through the terrain, items strewn along the way, it was like the Devs wanted you to go down here so populated it with stuff that a low-level Link would need and dotted just the right number of distractions along the way to keep your curiosity ticking over. Serious echos of Skyrim, and strangely, Pokemon a bit today too, heading down a route in those games and getting that sense of adventure and excitement making your way to a new area or town and not knowing what to expect.

That sense of wonder that I've felt has been lacking was present throughout the journey down this road, having a goal to reach and feeling like a traveller wandering down this path just stirred that sense of adventure and wonder that I hadn't experienced previously in the game when clambering from Shrine to Tower and back over Mountains.

A tinge of frustration though, which was another motion-controlled Shrine near the Village I discovered, had to try to get a ball around a maze and then down a ramp so it would unlock the door, just not much fun at all after awhile so I ended up cheesing it by flipping the maze over (so there were no obstacles in the way) and just see-sawing/flipping the ball up so it would go down the ramp, managed it eventually. Really wish they put in standard controls into these as an option as some require such precision that motion controls just can't afford.

Well, I did what i felt was another fucking hard as nails area, and the way i managed to get through part of it was almost certainly cheaty but at the same time I used the game's physics. If I do say so myself I am one clever motherfucker for outsmarting it, and at the same time im in total awe of the game for me being able to do it as I did.

Ive got to go and do 20 shrines now so that I can get a certain thing I want but dont need but badly badly want, so thats what im going to do tomorrow. Once I do it though, im going to feel so fucking awesome. Its basically the way I always try to play games but get smacked down for. Pretty much try as hard as I can to cheat the system rather than gradually progress to a certain area, and I think in this case its going to actually work and it just makes me think that its such an amazing game because of it. Play however the fuck you want, and probably never ever need to worry about how you SHOULD be playing.

The game will fucking murder you given any opportunity so I think you can cheese it all you want.  That's probably where the Souls comparison comes in because it's the same there.  I like to position myself and fight near cliffs if I'm dealing with tough enemies and just use big weapons to send them flying off.

Though I did see something in the tropical forest area that had me turning around and exploring somewhere else.  I took it's picture and headed north instead.

Also, I saw in a really cool place that is furthest south east.  That's worth checking out and I'm going back when I'm tougher.

I had a go at that island too, agreed that you need to be a bit more sturdy before doing it. I tried it with 5 hearts and just not ready yet. Absolutely amazing idea though, fucking love that it exists.

I must have spent an hour trying to do that island and kill that troll, but it seemed totally impervious to boulders and massive metal crates, so thats going to be fun later on figuring out how im going to do that. I suppose given enough time bombs would whittle him down.