passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Nioh

Hendo

Managed to get back on this again last night and defeat the first main boss. I did it solo on my second attempt, think I was around level 15. After that I spent a bit of time soul matching armour and weapons, disassembling others and selling some gear. Then I did the first sub-story mission and after that I spent a couple hours helping others through the first main mission and boss. I know that area like the back of my hand now. It's stellar stuff. 

I did save a video of the boss fight. I might try and edit the clip and upload. 

Impressive solo on your second attempt @retroed I never really used the amulets until the 3rd boss really, that poison effect does look very handy indeed.

I was an Axe guy until recently, took my specialities in Spear and the Kurshogama swingy thing, but felt more at home with the Axe at first and lately the Katana.

Played another 4 hours earlier myself, 12 total.

Took quite a while just helping folks in the 2nd mission, mainly with the boss (managed to defeat her with some guy) but the other times I died, hate when that happens, feel like I let them down a bit :( but yeah, after a while doing that I went back to the side-missions.

The first was back at the Village where I was tasked with killing two firey wheel-dudes, reminded me of the dreaded skeleton wheels from Dark Souls quite a bit...just with added fire, bloody annoying but cheesed them a bit with arrows and managed to batter them easily.

Moved on to the side missions in the Cave, first was really odd as it was so short, basically just had to chase the glowing turtle thing and then batter it, wasn't a difficult enemy and hardly attacked me really, mainly ran away, as soon as I killed him it was mission complete, only took about 5 minutes so I was a bit baffled, the next side mission was far better, and introduced bell-ringer (from Bloodborne) type enemies that caused revenants to awaken and attack you all over the shop, really cool mechanic and caught me off guard a bit until I worked out what they were and that I needed to take them down before bothering with the revenants or anything. The objective was at the top of this hill, and there was just lots of waves of enemies, after a few failed attempts I realised I needed to kill a certain archer, get the key and batter the bell-ringer to stop the enemies spawning, once I did this it was straightforward really and I finished the mission.

Stuck with the cave area and went back to help folks in co-op with the gauntlet side mission and the Vampire boss a few times to stock up on Ochoko cups and Elixirs mainly but picked up some good gear too, once this was done I entered the 3rd mission.

I remember seeing this level in the Alpha (although I never got there myself), I'm sure many will recognise it when they do, tipping down with rain and an elaborate ancient Japanese mansion grounds at night with thunder and lightning illuminating the sky, really is a sight to behold and I absolutely adored this level compared to the somewhat dull Caves. Slowly made my way through, didn't have any problems really, finding Kodamas as I went and eventually made it to another Shrine and opened up some shortcuts, levelled up a bit then decided to try the boss.

Had quite a few problems with this one, again I recognised it from the Alpha, but never faced it, and it didn't look too difficult from what I'd seen before, but this is easily the boss that has been the biggest ballache so far. Tried about 3/4 times on my own and was just getting absolutely ruined so used about 3/4 cups calling in Summons to help, but this wasn't any good either, after this I went back to trying to fight him one-on-one to learn his attack patterns more etc. and I FINALLY managed it, proper SoulsBorne moment of adrenaline and exhilaration when I defeated him, tons of fist pumping and cheering, fantastic boss fight and SO damn satisfying. I was liking this before but after that fight I fucking love it, tense, adrenaline pumping boss fights I absolutely adore and I hadn't really experienced that with the previous ones, which made this one all the sweeter, no video unfortunately as I didn't do the share thing after defeating it but yeah, it was intense and bloody amazing.

So yeah, I'm rather smitten with it, may need to play this in smaller chunks though as it is so damn intense, don't know if my ticker can take 4 hours every day :lol: it's all I can think about as well, I watch live streams and YT vids when I'm not playing it...can't get it off my mind, sign of a damn fine vidya gaem.

Another 4 hours earlier, 16 total.

Finished off the 3rd mission which was very easy (including the boss - clip below) did a side mission with the female sidekick then the whole rest of the time was spent helping folks in co-op, accidently killed one guy though by stepping on a trap in the tomb :ph34r: but the rest of the time was very fruitful, got TONS of Amrita and think I'm actually a bit over levelled now, also the lightning sword is the mutts nuts.

I did a bit before work. Went back into my last main mission to find those little green dudes and then died on the boss that I originally did on my first go.

Called a guy in to help and he wanted to kill some enemies before going into the boss but I was running out of time before leaving the house.

Happily, if you start the boss fight, they get transported in with you.

Yeah I did the village level that ends with a boss on the boat, then the level after that just sort of bored and frustrated me. I just wanted to kill stuff rather than do the same cautious stuff over and over. Also felt like the way the enemies scaled just never made me feel powerful. 

It's a shame because there were elements in the first level when I learned skills and got the hang of stuff that I thought I might be into it but I just don't really enjoy overly punishing games, it's like having another fucking job 'do it this way or start over a fucking gain'. 

Made a bit more progress.

Went back and finally completed the last side mission from the first area. The guy was a real bastard, but a bit more levelled up and trying to be a bit more wary and I finished him off, although it was incredibly close at the end.

Done a couple of side missions on the second area, levelled up my spirit and changed my guardian spirit to one that supposedly will give me health when I receive xp.

3 hours ago, Sambob said:

Yeah I did the village level that ends with a boss on the boat, then the level after that just sort of bored and frustrated me. I just wanted to kill stuff rather than do the same cautious stuff over and over. Also felt like the way the enemies scaled just never made me feel powerful. 

It's a shame because there were elements in the first level when I learned skills and got the hang of stuff that I thought I might be into it but I just don't really enjoy overly punishing games, it's like having another fucking job 'do it this way or start over a fucking gain'. 

Yeah that's fair enough, I loved the village level but don't think the 2nd is very good, just a boring cave area really, the boss of that level is cool though.

These games aren't for everyone for sure, I don't usually enjoy overly punishing games either ironically (most JRPGs I put the difficultly on easy/very easy just so I can get through the combat and see the story out) but something about the SoulsBorne games just scratches an itch for me that I didn't previously know existed, the satisfaction of beating a difficult boss after plugging away at it for a while, there's nothing quite like it, adore the social/co-op aspects too and Nioh has that certain je ne sais quoi as well.

I remember you playing through Bloodborne shortly after it released, did you ever finish it?

22 minutes ago, Hendo said:

Made a bit more progress.

Went back and finally completed the last side mission from the first area. The guy was a real bastard, but a bit more levelled up and trying to be a bit more wary and I finished him off, although it was incredibly close at the end.

Done a couple of side missions on the second area, levelled up my spirit and changed my guardian spirit to one that supposedly will give me health when I receive xp.

Yeah, I had a few goes on him briefly the other day, managed to get his health down to about half on one attempt but didn't really want to carry on as I was worried about my elixir stock going down when I have some (probably challenging) new missions in the new region coming up (not looking forward to the Poison one you mentioned previously), will go back to it when I'm slightly highly levelled (think I'm about Level 41 now).

I'm level 50 now.

Honestly, the poison area was initially overwhelming but there's a real solution to it. When I first went in I felt like it was gonna be a rush around job but you can actually explore every nook and cranny quite easily.

@Blakey no I don't think I finished bloodborne, got pretty near the end but again just got bored of it really, I didn't get that inclination to turn the console on and play it. I did enjoy that a lot more initially though and watched a lot of vids around the story and secrets, one of my favourite games writers was massively in to it so I do appreciate it more. 

I actually found with Nioh that I really enjoyed watching my mate play through where he was much later in the game, he had the patience to always dodge and get a few hits in and take it slowly and that's obviously the way to do it I just couldn't be arsed after a few hours. 

Clearing up the second area now, only one more sub mission to do.

There's one particular level in the second area that is rife for fuck ups. And believe me, I should've made a compilation video of all the stupid mistakes I made. I won't spoil it but you'll know which one when you meet a more blobby enemy.

Doing a lot of co-op as well which brings me to the improvements Team Ninja made to the DS forumula.

Yeah, it's weird at first only being able to summon someone that has finished the level first but when you think that It isn't an open world game like DS then it makes sense. Especially when you factor in that there's a menu option that will pull you in to any level that you've already done that someone is asking for help. So using that, it's incredibly easy to find people.

Also the frame rate is much better and the loading times are super quick.

Having said all that, I still love the From games and I hope they make more, soon.

14 hours ago, Hendo said:

There's one particular level in the second area that is rife for fuck ups. And believe me, I should've made a compilation video of all the stupid mistakes I made. I won't spoil it but you'll know which one when you meet a more blobby enemy.

The Water level right? Really loved this mission but I did have to be super careful, almost like a watery version of Blighttown in some ways, made plenty of fuck ups falling into the water and not concentrating on the bog standard Yokoi and getting battered.

The Mr blobby enemies can get fucked too, damn they were annoying, I ran off most of the time, defeated big daddy blobby on my second try though but that was with the help of a summon (I have 66 Ochoko cups so I thought why not :lol: )

So yeah, another 4 hours for me today, 20 total, level 47.

Concentrated on getting all the missions done in the 2nd region, 2/3 side missions, 1 dojo boss fight mission and 2 main missions.

Started out with a side mission where I had to slay 3 Yokoi in this mountain region (featured previously in the last region), discovered they were a new type which had tongues. Initially gave me a few issues but managed it after a while and moved onto another side mission which was gauntlet style again, didn't give me too many problems and finished it.

Then moved onto the dreaded poison area, wasn't too bad actually, once I got the knack of killing the poison stones before venturing down to ground level it was quite simple really, the area was surprisingly linear and small as well so I got to the boss quite quickly, summoned on my first attempt and we both put it to sleep.

Another side mission set in the poison mine after this and then I moved onto the Water temple level described above. Once the boss here was defeated I had a brief sojourn into co op before calling it a day.

Had a quick look at the 3rd region and it looks rather tough, need to level up a bit more before I tackle the main mission there I think as I'm just below the recommended level.

Yup that's right. 

Did a load of co-op today. The menu to get dragged into anyone's game really is a work of genius as there's always gonna be someone struggling and far more likely to find someone rather than in the Souls games you have to hope that someone is in the exact same area you are.

Going through the third area now and did a load of dojo missions which meant putting a load of stats into magic to unlock them, which is not a stat I care about.

Did you do the water level boss on your first go? If so, impressive, as it has a very nasty one-hit kill as shown by this handy video.

Yeah the co-op is awesome, so well thought out it's like an entirely different game mode really, especially as there's no chance of losing Amrita either, if you die you just get the co-op defeat screen but keep all your Amrita. Bloody great for grinding and gathering Elixirs and Ochoko cups too, I'm honestly so pleased I can just hop in to co-op to grind rather than going through previous levels over and over again on my own, one of the things I hated about Bloodborne was having to go back to earlier levels over and over again to grind for blood vials, and it never really seems an issue in this, whenever you're low on Elixirs or Cups just jump into co-op and you'll have a plentiful supply in no time.

I did the Warrior dojo mission just before I logged off, need to level up my Magic level too to unlock the Omgyo magic one, definitely worth it though for unlocking that Sloth Talisman, will make soloing bosses a doddle.

2nd go I did the water boss, first go I accidentally wandered in there and lost 20,000 Amrita when I fell in the sea :lol: I lit the last fire and went in properly prepared with a summon on my second attempt, had some hairy moments where I almost fell in the sea or got 1-shotted by it but luckily managed to defeat him, I had seen a few streamers face that boss on Twitch so I roughly new what I was in for, the one-hit kill is devastating but I managed to keep my distance wait for him to finish it then rush in and get a few attacks off in the mouth.