passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Marvel's Avengers

DisturbedSwan

12 hours ago, Maf said:

The other thing that @HandsomeDead is touching on is also really important and that’s Disney’s commitment to games. They don’t have any. They’re too used to being the biggest thing in whichever industry they go in to and making 100’s of millions of $ straight away. And they have not had that with ‘real’ games so they pull the plug on it. It wasn’t too long ago they had another live game called Marvel Heroes which I never played because it was on PC but my understanding is people really liked that and they just axed it.

I don't get what this has to do with Disney at all really. Marvel obviously licensed the IP to Square and Square put CD to work on it. I think it's one hell of a sweeping statement. The 'blame' if this turns out really bad should be solely at CD/SE's door, and it'll be up to them to support it long term if it does turn out badly.

12 hours ago, Nag said:

I reckon this'll pull middling reviews but will sell a ton just because of what it is...

I think you're right.

6 hours ago, HandsomeDead said:

But, heck, I hope it does have cool unlockable cosmetics.  I'm just not holding my breath.  They usually have some but are worse than the paid stuff.

There are indeed unlockable cosmetics.

I never had the chance to play the Beta last weekend due to being away so will hopefully dive in this weekend and see what I think. Chances are I'll cancel my pre-order soon purely because I have too much to play at the moment and not enough time to play it all.

Some punchy combat from Metal Boy

It's a shame it's so rough technically because stuff here looks cool.

So the choice is between Spidey combat with these types of combat options at low FPS or no Spidey at all.

(Or wait for PS5, still not ideal)

Open beta on Friday on PS4 btw,  

56 minutes ago, HandsomeDead said:

It has a lot to do with Disney since it's a persistent game.  The moment they're not happy with how it's going they can pull the license.  They already did it with that Diablo type game.  It's not unprecedented.

I really can't see that happening with a AAA console game. Despite everyone begging LucasFilm to take the SW license away from EA after the Battlefront 2 debacle, they didn't. 

Unless SE puts the game out there with a big controversial issue like Hot Coffee in GTA: SA or something then I'd put my house on them not taking the license away.

This'll be like a lot of GaaS games (aside from Anthem), it'll come out to middling reviews then everyone will start saying 'it's great now!' this time next year.

For me this is a platform issue and this definitely isn't a game to buy a console for.

Ideally, I want a new Marvel game with more interesting characters. Or even a port/remaster of Hulk: Ultimate Destruction.

I think the pure fighting, particularly with Kamal thanks to her animations, looks okay. If this was a solo experience without that bollocks PS-deal I might give it a shot. But I'm not really in into the live service games and to be honest the exclusivity deal has kind of torpedoed my interest in this even further.

I missed this but they actually did go into what 'endgame' there is here

Vince Napoli: We have been using the term raid-like content because it's actually multiple types of endgame content. We're currently working on loot tables, tuning a lot of that stuff for the post-launch stuff because we've got planned to introduce these higher-end mission types and objectives on a regular cadence. Some of the missions might resemble a Villain Sector where it culminates in those huge boss fights. We also have an end game type of content that'll be out a couple of weeks after launch, which is the Hives and Mega Hives. This actually utilizes your entire roster in a single go, it's really designed around the idea of how far can you get with a single character before that character is sort of extinguished for you and then you need to switch to the next character and see how far you can get. That one really challenges your full team makeup, which is a very, very different style of endgame content. Then we actually have a group version of that, where you get to plan your roster in this order and then team up with your friends who've planned their roster in another, it's a question of which characters do you use first, which characters do you use last.

We also have other mission types that are sort of in this time shard frequency where you're constantly taking damage in these three short interval type loop. These are rapid, high-intensity, high-pressure missions, but they're only open for short intervals before they refresh on a couple of days timeline. So we have a breadth of endgame content, high-tier challenge stuff. And then, of course, we also do have more traditional 'raid game thing', which is this larger than life stuff that happens through multi-tier objectives. It's a lot of content planned. I don't know if we've used them the names of some of those but I think some of the names we've already talked about, Cloning Labs and the Hives and the Mega Hives. The next War Table might go in detail of some of those, but I do know for the first month or two months, almost on a weekly basis there is a new type of endgame content coming out with unique loot tables and unique objectives. That's always been a huge focus for us and something that we're personally passionate about, it's what we play as players, what I like personally, so it is close to our hearts in terms of making sure we nail that.

find it hard to figure out exactly what it is from these descriptions tho. Using one character until they die and using someone else?

Dogital Foundry

I watched the DF video. This is going to sound stupid, but it's a personal graphical hang up of mine, I don't think I like temporal AA at all, maybe even checkerboarding, clever as they are.

The alpha effects (sparks and stuff) in this look so grainy, I find it really distracting. I find the same thing in Destiny 2 and I was watching  my housemate play Ghost of Tsushima before, he's playing on a Pro, and the pampas grass looks rough to me. The character models and everything else look great, same with this, but anything with fine detail or lots of edges looks really rough to me when it moves

Can't get past this login screen where you link your square account. I already have a square account for obvious reasons but nothing I do here seems to work. Entering email or qr or whatever

Why does this even need to link accounts, its all just about growing a mailing list isn't it. Unfortunately my system for avoiding the doom eternal members club don't work here ?

• 2 weeks later...

For some people who buy certain editions it looks like the game is actually out tomorrow. For everyone else it’s Friday. Shit. I didn’t even know.

Will be interesting to see how these reviews stack up. I’m thinking low 70’s. 

Like Blakey said a lot of the time the release perception of these games is different to what they eventually be but I tried hard with this beta and really couldn't enjoy it.

Part of it is being really tired of these characters I think, but then Insomniac did so good with a character I'd no fondness of before (Spiderman) so I dunno. I think this just feels too close to the movies but a substandard copy of them.