passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Marvel's Avengers

DisturbedSwan

Trophy list leaks online

https://www.exophase.com/game/marvels-avengers-xbox/achievements/

Cementing the fact it really is a MMO-like Destiny style game and what you do in the game will be very much that style of repetitive content for upgradeable gear. Which continues to bewilder me with how that works with such set in stone superheroes. “From the Ashes” sounds like a cool trophy at the very least.

I honestly believe when they show “real” gameplay of this it will look absolutely nothing like that tutorial/prologue stuff they showed at E3. Unless this is going to break all kinds of new ground for this MMO-lite genre in unimaginable ways, I just don’t believe you can have these characters feel really that unique to the point each one plays like a different genre of video game while it still being a live, co-op heavy, repetitive beat ‘em up. 

Like, how do you even decide who gets to be who? What if 3 different people all want to be the Hulk? How does the Hulk even get new gear?

This game makes 0 sense to me. It is either too bold for my tiny brain or it will absolutely not be what they have currently sold it as at all.

I feel like this game will be the subject of a Matt McMuscles 'wha happun' in 5 years time

Also has the Marvel hype wave kind of went now anyway? We must be past the peak of this stuff, anecdotally I don't hear work colleagues bring it up as much

(yes Blakey I know it still makes lotsa money just that we are maybe in the downward curve now it seems)

-----------------------

Anyway I don't think questions like how does Hulk get new gear are that meaningful. They will absolutely find a way to give Hulk new gear, it's just a matter of imagination. 

Probably you will pick Hulk and then select matchmaking, then it will join you with Tony and Bob and Batman and all your favourite Marvel heroes.

The thing is what does content look like, how are classes designed. Is it a brawler, cause it looks like a brawler

I feel like the content is pretty obvious. It’s just going to be levels players repeat over and over like Destiny. And I know they will get Hulk gear and stuff. They’ll be unlockable, exotic purple trousers that give Hulk +90 strength or some bullshit but for me I mean how do you do that and make it still feel like an Avengers game. Which is the exact thing a game like this is supposed to deliver, but I think will be completely void of that and will just be a Destiny clone. 

Also if they match make like that it would really suck. Imagine you want to play as Thor because there’s a chance this week at new Thor gear to drop, but then everyone is playing as Thor so you can’t get a game.

Even bigger than that to me is how does this different style of play work. They showed Iron Man playing like Lylat Wars and Black Widow in a boss fight. How does that translate to the real game? I really don’t think it will.

RE Marvel Hype. Endgame was the crescendo. It’s now on a downwards curve and Marvel, at least the films, now have to rebuild them selves again. Most of their top heroes are “gone”, all the new ones coming is a prequel and a team no one has ever heard of, Spider-Man is slowly slipping away, and they’re taking a year or so off it seems so there’s just no constant 4 monthly marketing cycle for the next movie.

The question is when they come back proper can they reinvent them selves. I love most of the MCU and think what they did was an amazing accomplishment, but even for me it wore thin by the end and they need to find a way to continue but change at the same time.

• 1 month later...

Also @one-armed dwarf this isn’t really the place to discuss the MCU but I’d say Marvel is still on a massive high, it’s just we haven’t had a movie in 8 months or so now so their films are out the news so to speak. 

Once Black Widow finally comes out we’ll see how it does. I think folks in general will probably always be up for more Marvel movies.

I think the MCU related games are the area they have neglected the most. A couple of so-so Phase One games, an incredibly ill-judged Marvel vs Capcom effort and a LEGO title or two? The recent Spider-Man game was probably the strongest title so far. With this game silently gestating in the background. Hardly what you would have expected to accompany ten years worth of lucrative films. The first four Batman films, for example, had at least one video game for every film. A couple more for the animated series too.

• 2 months later...

PS Blog: Free upgrade to PS5

I became a serious game development hobbyist when I was a kid and I’ve worked as a professional game developer for the past 18 years. I’m now the Chief Technology Officer at Crystal Dynamics, where I am working with a brilliant and passionate development team on Marvel’s Avengers.

Throughout my life, there has been little that excites me as much as getting my hands on a next-generation video game console — and PS5 is no exception. I have had the tremendous pleasure and privilege of having a PS5 development kit on my desk for some time. When we received our first few kits, I rushed to put an engineering team on the task of creating a PS5 version of Marvel’s Avengers as quickly as possible. I wanted to push Foundation, our proprietary game engine, to its limits on PS5 and see what it could do. Take a look at what we’ve accomplished so far!

PS5 greatly lifts the performance and graphics bar for consoles. The new GPU allows us to increase our texture resolution, push a higher level of detail farther from the player, enhance our ambient occlusion, improve our anisotropic filtering and add a variety of new graphics features such as stochastic screen-space reflections with contact-aware sharpening.

If you’re a technophile like me, you enjoy having a bit of choice in how you leverage your cutting-edge console’s capability. As gamers, we sometimes want every ounce of power put into extra graphics features to achieve the highest image quality possible. For this, Marvel’s Avengers will offer an enhanced graphics mode on PS5. At other times, we want the most fluid gameplay experience possible. For that, Marvel’s Avengers will offer a high framerate mode on PS5, which targets 60 FPS with dynamic 4K resolution.

The GPU and CPU improvements on PS5 are exciting, but even more exciting is the introduction of an ultra-high speed SSD with lightning fast load speeds. This is a transformative improvement in consoles that will reduce load times down to one or two seconds and enable real-time streaming of massive worlds at ridiculously fast speeds. Without any optimization work, the loading and streaming of Marvel’s Avengers improved by an order of magnitude on PS5. When optimization is complete, loading content will be nearly instant, allowing players to seamlessly jump into missions anywhere in the game world. And as Iron Man flies through content-rich levels, higher resolution textures and mesh will stream in instantly, maintaining the highest possible quality all the way to the horizon.

The new PS5 DualSense controller offers advanced haptics and resistance triggers, and the console itself offers enhanced 3D audio and new platform features that allow you to jump straight into the action. We have great ideas on ways to leverage these features in Marvel’s Avengers and are looking forward to seeing our players’ reactions.

At Crystal Dynamics, we are gamers and we have a gamer-first mentality. We want to make it easy for Marvel’s Avengers players to enjoy the additional features PS5 brings to the game.

Therefore, we’re happy to announce that when you purchase Marvel’s Avengers for the PS4 platform, either digitally or on disc, and later upgrade to a PS5, you get the PS5 version of the game with all of its enhancements free of charge!

In addition, PS5 gamers can play Marvel’s Avengers online with PS4 gamers, so anyone can upgrade at any time and continue playing with friends on both platforms.

Marvel’s Avengers launches on September 4, 2020 and will be available on PS5 when the console launches Holiday 2020!

I don't want to be harsh with my words but I think it looks absolutely horrible. Very janky combat and movement, bland mission design, abysmal framerate (though that might be the stream). Please just release this thing and let CD work any literally anything else.

It really is just Destiny but Avengers instead. The combat looks clunky and the frame rate is trash but it is an earlier build. I could be in to it, though. There’s a lot more focus on single player content than I thought there would be and I could see playing with other people being fun. Running around smashing robots together. Not really that different from Destiny in terms of mission design so it can work. I don’t know if it will work but I’m more interested than I was before the video. 

It's pretty much what I expected, which is also something I'd play but I wish something jumped out and surprised me. 

The combat looked varied and showed some examples of simple synchronisation which I hope the high level gameplay builds on.  It looks like there is more going on with the enemy count which I guess I wasn't expecting. 

But yeah, I'd play that game.  Looks cool. 

I’m still not clear on what happens if say me and someone else wants to play Hulk. Or what if I want to get loot for my Hulk but I never get chance to play him because someone else is. I know they said you can do the war zone stuff solo but that sounds like a lot less fun.

Just finished watching it and yeah I’m impressed with some caveats.

I just think it looks like a ton of fun. The story looks really interesting, I can definitely get invested in the Avengers regaining their reputation and name again after getting framed on ‘A-Day’, it just sounds a really interesting unique take for me. 

The way it plays just looks like loads of fun as well, flying in the air as Thor or Iron Man then slamming down onto the ground and taking out some more enemies down there. Kamala has a really interesting move set too, I don’t know an awful lot about the character but her superpowers remind me of Ant-Man quite a bit and I just think that’ll be rad. 

The bits they showed where you can set off your ultimate and possibly combine it with another persons ultimate during the co op segment just looked really cool too, I think even the regular attacks can power up your comrades in some way and I just love that kind of power sharing.

My concerns are the frame rate, melee combat and the enemies themselves. The frame rate just looked terrible throughout, it properly looked like it was chugging away. The melee combat lacked a real impact from what I saw, it’s difficult to judge it without playing it but the thwack of Thor’s hammer on the enemies just seemed to lack oomph, some of the other characters looked better in this regard though. The enemies being robots and mechs worry me a bit as they typically don’t make interesting foes for me. 

Just looked like a mighty fun way to spend time with mates online to me. My only decision now is whether to get it at launch and then upgrade for free to the PS5 version or to just wait and get it on PS5 at/around launch. 

• 3 weeks later...