passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Marvel's Avengers

DisturbedSwan

I’m impressed by the ambition but sceptical about the execution. Before gameplay was shown I thought it would be really cool if they made a game where every Avenger had their own play style. And they did that to an extent and that’s cool. Then it’s in this Destiny style game with repeatable same-y content and that’s certainly not as cool.

I always envisioned the ideal Superhero team game being a cross between Freedom Fighters and InFamous. I don't understand why only Spider-Man seems to have had a decent game since the House of Mouse took over?

Really seems like a terrible idea not to have cross play. PC will have the best and worst version (cause not enough people will play it on PC). It also doesn't help that they are unselling people on other platforms (no Spidey) if PS4 is this rough

Basically it just feels they're undermining their own game in a lot of ways here. 

as an aside it's annoying to me when settings are labelled 'performance mode' but run at 45 fps, which is actually worse on a 60hz tv than 30fps

57 minutes ago, one-armed dwarf said:

Basically it just feels they're undermining their own game in a lot of ways here. 

They already did that on Day One when they decided to put Crystal Dynamics on a GAAS.

The more I see of this, the more I get the impression that Square only agreed to the Spidey deal because they know they have a bit of a stinker here that will completely bomb in the reviews so that they can at least get the uninformed casual players from the biggest playerbase (PS4) to buy this for the IP and characters alone.

I suppose we'll know in a month. But yeah, this will be super dead on PC and Xbox online and rightly so.

I could totally see me enjoying the core gameplay loop, but it's about everything else around it.

TBH Square-Enix don't have the worst track record due to Final Fantasy XIV.  When it wasn't going well at the start they went back and rebuilt it into something players generally like.  But I dunno, I can't tell if this will get the same kind of work put into it long term, especially with Disney involved.  Unless it's successful from the start.

Anybody watched any impressions videos of the beta? I haven’t yet.

The thing for me about this game is if it does turn out good I think it will probably be fine but the potential for it to be bullshit is huge. Looking at the gameplay trailers and the way the characters move mechanically it looks like a cheap 360 X, X, Y brawler with a little bit, just a little bit of flair. The potential for that type of gameplay to be good, especially with repeated content, seems very limited where as the potential for it to be boring is very high. Really think finding a good, dedicated group of people that like playing together and quick content updates will be essential for this, more than most live games.

The other thing that @HandsomeDead is touching on is also really important and that’s Disney’s commitment to games. They don’t have any. They’re too used to being the biggest thing in whichever industry they go in to and making 100’s of millions of $ straight away. And they have not had that with ‘real’ games so they pull the plug on it. It wasn’t too long ago they had another live game called Marvel Heroes which I never played because it was on PC but my understanding is people really liked that and they just axed it.

With phone games they’re more reliable, probably because they’re cheaper. And I’m sure they have contracts in place that Disney needs to support this for X amount of years. But if it does shit the bed it could be under threat very quickly.

Isnt these repeatable content games supposed to escalate to complex raids tho at some point? I watched a GB stream of Destiny before where they spent hours on this big raid, I was kinda expecting that to be the 'endgame' of this.

It's why I tolerate the boring work parts of FFXIV, the high level content is so good and mechanically satisfying. I'm not expecting that from this, but a little bit of that is what I was expecting

To be fair, the long term appeal to these games is builds.  A good gameplay loop helps a lot (in fact it's essential to respectable persistent games) but another big factor is builds, and the economy of how you dish it out.  I love being rewarded with something that allows me to do some cool maths to help my next run.  Warframe is really good at that for example.

But I wonder if an Avengers game, because of the mainstream license, will it have cool maths? probably not, but given time and care they could appeal to their base.  But that takes time.

I dunno if any of you play Hearthstone, but that's a pretty mainstream thing in a global sense and that shit is weird now.  I feel like you gotta have a PHD to git gud.

TLDR: Don't treat your players as idiots

Actually, I'm saying open with a simpler game, but because of Disney being involved who could pull the plug any time, can Square-Enix keep them involved long enough for it to become the multiplayer action RPG?

I would like to support a game like this, a high budget persistent action RPG.  But all this bullshit gives me cold feet.

It does right? Like Iron Man’s armour changes and his lasers change colours and stuff

How long until this game loses all integrity and they doing things like pink skinned Hulk and whatnot

Well okay, it's just people who play these games do it for gameplay stuff, like buffs, unique abilities, just high armour, or even figuring out a combo of defence and abilities that tackles a certain troublesome boss.

But, heck, I hope it does have cool unlockable cosmetics.  I'm just not holding my breath.  They usually have some but are worse than the paid stuff.

But I really need to trust that this game will have legs, or I may just have to go back to Destiny.