passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Marvel's Avengers

DisturbedSwan

Yeah it sort of makes the character a bit pointless. The story will have to be designed around not having Spidey in it, then the Spidey exclusive stuff will be all outside the main scenario or adjacent to it. Like a 'meanwhile...' type of thing.

Hence like Vincent in FFVII, a side character that has nothing to do in the main game because he was optional and can't have a main role as consequence

Just part and parcel of the business. 

Sony literally owns rights of the character of Spidey, why would they let him be featured on other rival platforms when they don't need to? It doesn't make any business sense.

In an ideal world all DLC, content etc. would be come to all platforms at the same time. But we don't live in an ideal world, we live in reality, and unfortunately, in reality these kind of deals happen all the time. Microsoft at their last presser announced an timed exclusive MP expansion for Tetris Effect, there's been exclusive alphas, betas, demos and god knows what for years. 

All the 'noise' that's been created just reads like entitled crusader gamers up in arms at another 'controversy', there's seemingly a new one every day to get riled up about, it's a non-stop train of gamer rage. As mentioned previously, I would prefer all content like this to be available for everyone but I'm not gonna get my pitchfork out the cupboard when yet another timed exclusive deal of some kind gets announced, especially for a game that - at the moment - lots of folks aren't that arsed about anyway.

Tbf it does look like a bunch of arse, Spidey or no.

In either event tho it's taking a game and making it worse while trying to sell it as a value add, it's that dis-ingeniousness that's annoying moreso than this specific case with this game. Locking down cross platform access to content or cross play features is never in anybody's benefits but the companies themselves, but it is often spun as being a benefit of owning a specific platform when it isn't.

Yes there are outrage merchants out there making a dime on this with youtube videos but none of us are youtubers, we're just looking at this thing and saying it looks a bit shit. 

@DisturbedSwan will you please stop kissing the arse of companies.  The arguement here isn't entitlement, it's that this is another example of corporate meddling making a game worse.  Try taking in what is actually being said before you go on your stock rant.  Just know, it's likely those with ”their pitchforks out" give more of a shit about games than you do.

You might be okay accepting business but read the room, not just in gaming but generally, people are getting more and more frustrated at the business excuse and not accepting it.

I'm so fed up of this kind of thing.

let's just take a minute before people get too wound up and say things they shouldn't

@DisturbedSwan  most of the criticism I've read in this thread about it is that because it's not a Sony exclusive game whatever content they put in can only be surface level. The same criticism that was levelled at the Starfox stuff in whatever that Ubisoft game was. You could play as them but they were like ghosts when it came to the story, didn't speak etc because the game was built for the other 2 platforms too

But on top of that this isn't strictly a Sony character like the Starfox example.  Spider-Man wasn't exclusive to Sony in recent releases of Marvel vs. Capcom.  This is a very specific decision that will compromise the game to give a perceived sense of exclusivity.  And it's good to be aware of it and call it what it is.

To be honest, this game needs to be garnering as much good will as it can get. Given (A) the release is a little late for the MCU peak now and (B) it hasn't exactly set the world on fire as it is. Stuff like this will only harm it in the long term.

Actually the Starfox stuff in Starlink was done really well, they did pop up in story moments from time to time and their unique campaign was arguably better than the main game.

It never actually crossed my mind to compare the two situations but now that you mention it I suppose it was similarly unfair. Even though Starfox is a proper Nintendo IP of course whereas Spider-Man isn't really a Sony thing, it's just something that came out of their movie deals for one reason or another and has stronger ties to that actual game then to the platform he's exclusively available on.

I feel really bad for Crystal Dynamics by the way. For some reason people on the internet can't differentiate between developers and publishers and are now harassing CD on Twitter. They have literally nothing to do with this deal.

53 minutes ago, DANGERMAN said:

@DisturbedSwan  most of the criticism I've read in this thread about it is that because it's not a Sony exclusive game whatever content they put in can only be surface level. The same criticism that was levelled at the Starfox stuff in whatever that Ubisoft game was. You could play as them but they were like ghosts when it came to the story, didn't speak etc because the game was built for the other 2 platforms too

We can assume that yeah. We don't actually know what the content will be, we're just speculating wildly. Until more info is known we won't really know how good/bad the integration will be. I assume it'll work like Destiny's exclusive strikes/missions/raids but I've honestly no idea. I doubt myself he'll be integrated into the story in a meaningful way, but who knows. 

Until I know more I can't really comment apart on how good or bad it'll be as we've literally just got an announcement to go off. We don't even know when Spidey's coming to the game or anything.

I'll say what I want @HandsomeDead you're entitled to your opinion, as am I. I understand perfectly where you're coming from and agree to an extent, I also get why people are annoyed, but people get annoyed at so many things these days it's difficult to keep up at what to be annoyed about from one day to the next. I get the sentiment, I agree that this kind of content should be for all, but capitalism gonna capitalism and that's that really. 

I think whatever way you fall on this it's good to separate the outrage merchants and harassers from people who are just disappointed at how this affects how these games are made.

What happens now and where I agree with Blakey is all these controversies turn into a culture war now, but that fact shouldn't be allowed poison the well of debate about this stuff too.

Capitalism also tends to be extremely shit, lets not be too nice about that fact

Ok, @DisturbedSwan of course you can say what you want but these excuses you keep replicating aren't related to what is being discussed.  You mention some other gamers and strawman people in the thread.  

Also, using capitalism as a defence is also a bad arguement because man is there decades of literature saying why that's not a good reason.  And you might wanna look outside because, not to be to real, but it's making people homeless (amongst other things).  I honestly never want to hear that as a defence again because it's disgustingly ignorant.

I mean you can, if you want to be that person.

According to CD they could only do Spider-Man on PlayStation, anyway. So if Playstation didn’t get it no one would get it. How this explains MUA3 I don’t know. Non compete clause? But this is what the guy is saying.

EerSnyOWAAA9U12?format=png&name=large

There’s more in the full article. Be warned it’s an awful webpage. 

https://www.newsweek.com/marvels-avengers-crystal-dynamics-spiderman-ps4-exclusive-sony-why-1522746

It makes sense to me. You could argue Sony could allow this on Xbox but the way they are presenting it is this is actually an opportunity. I don’t know if I believe it but I can’t disprove it. Make of it what you will. 

Honestly if I was Xbox I’d be ringing up Marvel/CD whoever and going yo what about Wolverine

16 minutes ago, Maf said:

According to CD they could only do Spider-Man on PlayStation, anyway. So if Playstation didn’t get it no one would get it. How this explains MUA3 I don’t know. Non compete clause? But this is what the guy is saying.

I think we all realised this, the point is that as the game is being built for more than just the Playstation, Spiderman's involvement isn't going to be fully realised. how much that matters I guess we'll find out

fwiw I've no skin in this race, I think the game looks terrible. I'll try the beta to see if it plays better than it looks like it will, but so far I think it looks less interesting than Anthem

Lol I don’t think everybody realised this. You should see these comment sections.

But if the choice is Spider-Man or no Spider-Man I don’t know how this is bad. I’m sure if Sony wanted to they could find a loophole to let Xbox have it. But they didn’t even want cross play so realistically that is just not a thing.

Well the loop hole is money, influence and how much it matters to them.  We've seen Spider-Man on other formats and in multi-format games on Xbox so it's interesting they decided to hold him back with this game.  Hard not to come to the conclusion it's absolutely cynical here.

I give a shit because I'm currently looking for a game like this.  I'm having an extended break from Warframe, Monster Hunter is going too for 'people who actually have friends' and I guess I don't feel Destiny 2 right now.  I'll definitely try the beta of this, but all this going on is a downer.

I know persistent games will never be cool to all but why do they always go out of their way to make them seem worse?