passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Marvel's Avengers

DisturbedSwan

3 hours ago, Manicm said:

Reassemble? A Lego game then??

Nah.  Remember the UK title for the film (or Europe?) was Avengers Assemble.  I think it's a play on that since it's another Avengers story. 

People are also saying this could be the start of a Marvel Shared Universe in games, hence two studios involved (though they have worked together in the past).  Might not link with the films but be its own thing,  Arkham style. 

All just idle banter at the moment but I like those folk at Crystal Dynamics.  I bet they'll do something cool with this. 

• 2 years later...

Good pedigree behind it with CD and Eidos Montréal. I believe they got one of the Uncharted: TLL Director’s Shaun Escaig on board too awhile back.

But, who the fuck knows at this point. If I get to play as Iron Man or Thor I’ll be happy, I’m expecting to play as some up and comers or agents of shield or something with the Avengers being a special move or ultimate though.

Who knows at this point though.

The only GAAS games I've played are World of Warcraft and FFXIV. Both of which seem much better than this current crop just by the fact that they still exist and receive updates. While stuff like Destiny is described as a ten year project yet has to get replaced with a sequel. These are supposed to be endless games, yet they constantly throw out all the work players put in by killing the old game's community with a sequel, I don't really get it

Anyway that's a bit of a digression but I'll definitely be keeping more of an eye on Insomniac's next Spider-Man instead if this rumour is true.

I don't think The Avengers lends itself well to a GaaS because part of what they are about is building a character to your own playstyle. I guess you could treat each Avenger as a character class and fine tune thier abilities to your playstyle. 

But overall making a game like this with defined characters just seems to miss the point.  I guess the rumour could be true but it just doesn't add up to me.  And a job posting for a data analyst doesn't convince me as well, since player data is collected in loads of types of games. 

They talk about developing KPIs for player acquisition, retention and e-commerce which is something easy to see if it's a live game but makes less sense for something that's not.

I think it will be a GAAS, maybe a modern city of heroes. I want to say that the Star Wars MMOs show that any IP can be turned into a live game, but honestly I dont know how much of a like for like that really is. If it isn't a live game I might have a look though.

On the other hand it could be fun to run raids with roles like Hulk tank and Iron Man DPS or whatever. ?

Just by being an Avengers game means you've got to have at least three playable characters or it isn't really a team of heroes. You can see how that transforms from an SP adventure into a class based online game.

Best case scenario would be the dmc5 thing of three playable characters, but dmc is abysmal at anything that isn't combat mechanics. Multiple hero's with different abilities is a lot of development work. So a live game seems more natural cause it's basically a work in progress all the time with a constant revenue stream

Who knows, it could be awesome still.