passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

1979 Revolution: Black Friday

DisturbedSwan

I know many won't of heard of this, but it's essentially a Telltale clone but set in the very real setting of pre (and post) revolution Iran in the late 1970s.

The presentation and graphics are very clear and it's well put together but the plot just doesn't come together and all your decisions feel incredibly meaningless, as a history buff such as myself it's still interesting and educational to find out about this tumultuous period of time in a country not many of us know much about.

It tries to tell the tale of a rag-tag bunch of rebels who get drawn into the revolution and involved on the front-lines of key protests in the years/months leading upto the day of the revolution itself, you see plenty of scenes from the front-line and some moments hit home more than others as you know this was a very real occurrence, but it just feels a bit like a disjointed mess with no satisfying or meaningful payoff at the end of it.

I had pre-conceived notions about pre-Islamic Republic Iran too, that it was very Western, liberal and bohemian with the people being much 'freer' then than post-1979, but I learnt that wasn't really the case and the King 'the Shah' was just as much of a cunt and Dictator as Iranian leaders after really (not really surprising to learn the CIA were involved too). It's still quite crazy to see people adorned in 'Western' dress though, women wearing Jeans and skirts etc. and nowadays they've all got to wear mandatory Hijabs when out in public and stuff.

I was looking at picking this up during the Christmas sale, but got put off by the reviews which pretty much said what you have. It's an interesting topic for a game. I used to know a guy from Iran who fled, him and his wife came over here, she was a doctor, I wish I'd known him a bit later in life because his stories were interesting but went over my head a bit