passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Final Fantasy XV

Sambob

I think most characters in FFXV look okay, the problem is just that those who don't are your party members.

But I agree that the series needs to go back and do something like a super modern version of FFIII, FFIV or FFIX. I really liked FFXV but pretty much every system and feature is flawed to a degree and most of that is probably thanks to how big they wanted to make this and how little they actually accomplished in the end.

Even though every entry reinvents itself there were still commonalities between them mechanically and stylistically. But ever since X they’ve been getting more and more unrecognisable each time. Rebooting it again would set a stament to say they are getting back to those commanilites in FF instead of whatever the fuck it is now 

They should Doom 2016 Final Fantasy 

FF's whole thing is about wiping the slate clean each time. I don't think it's really the series you buy into if you want everything the same all the time.

That's Dragon Quest.

Your reboot sounds more like a deboot also. If they did that and made games which tried to express the same commonalities and lift the same systems across each game it would become a boring series. You would never get stuff like Paradigm shift in XIII or Gambits in XII.

The fact that people are so divided on what is the best one is part of why the series has such appeal.

Anyway here's that Yoshi P rumour. FFXIV guy working on a next gen title. Probably with a high fantasy setting

This guy saved

ffxiv so I expect high things if it's true.

You say wipe the slate clean but that’s only mechanically, which is admirable and I like that. I’m not saying it has to go back to turn based battle systems and random encounters. But I think the super flamboyant visual style and girly writing has been pretty consistent since X. And this is what I mean when I think it needs some restoration

Maybe reboot is the wrong term but for me FF needs to reinvent the shit out of itself and get really, really far away from what it is.

Compared to Dragon Quest, FF has had many changes from one game to the next but I think it’s fair to say that the games have had overwhelming similarities too. Especially if you look at IV-VI on the SNES and VII-IX on the PS1.

Although it might not have seemed like it at the time I think FFX was probably the last hurrah for “traditional” Final Fantasy.

DQ is super similar and that was my big critism of it for years before my tastes changed and I recently started liking it.

And maybe the reverse is true for FF. I’m just an old man and it plays to a younger, different crowd now.

But still, I would really like to see a more traditional FF again. Doesn’t have to go back to the FF 3-9 battle and job systems or whatever but just something that was more representative of the cool parts of FF.

Or again maybe I’m just out of touch ?

1 hour ago, radiofloyd said:

Although it might not have seemed like it at the time I think FFX was probably the last hurrah for “traditional” Final Fantasy.

FFX isn't really traditional. It's basically the same thing as FFXIII where they seemingly couldn't put all that new hardware power to good use and instead went for a very cinematic but extremely linear approach. FFX's saving grace is that, unlike XIII, it actually has a bunch of likeable characters, an excellent score and a storyline that's really odd but also kind of makes sense. But from a design standpoint both titles are extremely similar, up to the point where there's only just one way forward until you get to a big grassy plain. 

Kind of funny when you think about it, because both games also got an MMO as a sequel first and then an auto-combat sequel with massive environments second. The only difference in this weird déjà-vu scenario is that FFX only got one sequel while XIII got two.

• 9 months later...

Been hankering for more of a RPG fix after Battle Chasers so started this up. 2 hours in so far and really struggling... Not just because of the 30 minute tutorial room at the start either.

I really don’t like the combat so far. I’ve got 3 characters plus myself and then there’s usually 3 or more enemies. So that’s 7+ on screen and I’m meant to be able to see when a enemy is attacking to dodge it? Yea right. Fat chance. The amount of shit happening on screen usually means I miss the parry pop ups until it’s too late as well. It’s not killed me yet so at least it’s not hard but it’s not am satisfying at all just holding the attack button and squinting to see if I’ve got any chance of dodging a attack. Already bored of the warp attack too. Put it in wait mode hoping for more of a turn based system and that doesn’t help really either as you can’t actually command your attacks in it. But at least it makes it easier to get enemy weaknesses (I upgraded the other characters ability to do it but he rarely ever does) so I can then carry out the multiple button presses required to get a enemy weakness weapon equipped. I don’t like I have to craft magic now too. The hell is that about? Hope actually gain these abilities later rather than having to go in a menu and craft every time. People whine about turn based but I find this constant stopping to go into multiple menus far more annoying and when you’re just mashing or holding buttons does it really make you feel

more active in whats happening and more enjoyable? I don’t get it. I’m hoping my complaints are just because I’ve started and only had a dozen or so battles. Please tell me it gets better? 

The ability trees. There’s too many! How the hell are you meant to remember what’s in them all and what’s worth upgrading? 

The exploration is stupid too. The car basically drives itself and there seems to be no point in taking over at all. So you just basically sit and watch it travel along pretty but boring backgrounds for minutes at a time. The scenery isn’t exactly interesting enough to encourage exploration either, especially just for crafting material busywork. So sick of that in games now. And your characters have stamina while running about? *Sigh*. Who’s great idea was that in a land mass this big? 

Im going to give it longer, I’ve had plenty of games I’ve hated to start with but grown to love after a bit of time and getting used to stuff. But so far, initial impressions aren’t great. 

Plus I’ve got already got a crush on the grease monkey girl. So need to see what happens to her. 

I'm with you on combat. Not to reheat an old GTM rant, but to me it's fundamentally incoherent while at the same time completely lacking in interesting challenge.

Although based off your issues about the menu system and weirdness with action combat I don't know how you'd take to VIIR (which I think plays excellently)

13 minutes ago, one-armed dwarf said:

Although based off your issues about the menu system and weirdness with action combat I don't know how you'd take to VIIR (which I think plays excellently)

I played  the demo and highlighted some issues I have with that combat in the thread. In short, I still think VIIIR is too busy and a bit messy and mashy still but it’s immediately lot better than this. The menu stuff in battle for that is a lot quicker and doesn’t break up the flow as much either and you do get the spectacle of special attacks so I appreciate that. 

Thanks @bellow but I’ll stick with this. I don’t enjoy playing on the Switch really (controls) and I already own this version so dont fancy paying the £30+ this undoubtedly is on Switch. Does sound a bit better but hopefully this clicks after a few hours, otherwise I’ll just sell and move on. 

2 minutes ago, one-armed dwarf said:

For real I was thinking of install this on PC the other day because I hear it looks incredible, they did a lot of work for it to sell Nvidia GPUs and 4K displays

It does look really good (on One X so yours will look even better). No doubt about that part. I did have to turn brightness all the way down in game though as it was massively over saturated. Couldn’t make any details out it was so bright. 

Pocket Edition has better combat which is kind of hilarious but the original is the better game. It's still a very flawed game with horrible pacing, bad storytelling and the aforementioned unrewarding combat but I think it has its moments. The entire Altissia chapter for example is absolutely fantastic and I would definitely reccommend playing it at least up until that point. If it doesn't click there however it probably never will.