passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Final Fantasy XV

Sambob

Played quite a bit more since my last post, no idea if its accurate but the in game clock is at 13.5 hours or so.

I still like it, wouldn't say I love it though but I'm still really early in the game. Spent almost the entirety of my time doing side-quests, most of them are pretty throwaway but just fun enough to keep me going back for more, the only real standout one was tracking a Behemoth through a foggy forest, all the rest are 'pick up this gem/frog/dog tag' really, but I didn't expect too much from them in the first place really.

Up to Chapter 3 in the story and that's been better than expected, really enjoyed exploring the first Dungeon, finding all the hidden paths and collectibles.

Pleased I've made it out the desert place and now in Duscae, really is a fantastic place, lush forests, lovely vistas and unusual mountains, crystal structures and stuff all over the place.

Quite like the combat too although it's a bit cheap they take away the warp ability to recover when going through a dungeon, guess its done to stop cheesing, but it takes away some of the fun ftrom the combat for me, don't like fighting the generic Nif soldiers much though, was OK for the first few times but after that I started to just leg it away from them.

Must mention the chocobo's too, really cool. They're just a joy to ride and make some of the treks through land inaccessible by car much more fun than running with the group.

So yeah, its fun, I like it and I've got the urge to play more, its a relaxing game to play and the car journeys even give enough time so I can check twitter in between destinations. Still think it's so incredibly similar to playing a Yakuza game.

Still plugging away at this, up to about 21 hours on the game clock now.

Still really enjoying it, the side-quests have become a bit of a drag now though really, I'd heard that they weren't great before I begun, but I quite enjoyed them up til now really. There's a certain relaxing quality to them (that I've touched on in earlier posts), familiarity and ease of doing them, just something very ethereal and addictive about ticking them all off the quest log one by one, but yeah in the last few hours they've started to make me roll my eyes at times. Go off into the world to pick up someone's lost delivery or frogs or some shite, get back and hand him to them, then I see the ? - Quest prompt next to him/her and I think to myself 'another bloody one', but I still want to do them all despite this, I've unlocked the 'Spinning a Yarn V' trophy so I've done at least 40 of the fuckers and want to get the 'Spinning a Yarn VI' one before I fully throw in the towell, but I've decided to concentrate on the story for a while and get a bit further in before returning with gusto.

Was only on Chapter 3 before I re-started bothering with the story-quests, I'm really glad I did though as they've been so great. I really love the dungeons, they remind me both of Pokemon and the Ni No Kuni dungeon designs, great to get lost in, hidden areas and enemies that jump out at you, there's an eeriness to some of them which I really didn't expect too, and I just love going further and further down the rabbit hole and seeing what's waiting for me in the darkness. The fight with

Titan

was absolutely incredible as well, like something out of a Platinum game, incredibly exciting and cinematic, just an incredibly epic fight that got the heart racing and really surprised me, I know it got spoilt slightly by being shown at one of the E3 conferences but playing the entire sequence was still impactful and genuinely incredibly fun.

I thought the

stealth section where you sneak into the Niflheim base

was fantastic too, really didn't expect it to work, but it just did, varied the flow of the game up nicely, could've easily thrown another dungeon at me but no, they tried something a bit different and I think they pulled it off with aplomb, felt a bit like Metal Gear at times

sneaking into that base, all the mechs too and the way you could take out the Nif soldiers with one slash of your sword when you weren't looking

, firing the fixed machine gun at the exploding barrels was a ton of fun too and something I really didn't expect in an FF game.

The story itself has been a bit confusing at times, and I still think I'd be completely lost if I'd not seen Brotherhood and Kingsglaive, but even so I still have to rack my brain at times and make a few obtuse connections between certain characters and their story arc's. Really like the characters though, liked them originally but like them even more now, found myself laughing at them giving some banter to one another the other, Gladi giving Noct stick for not having a six pack and him defending himself (poorly) by saying something like 'I've got inner strength' and Gladi being like 'yeah....right, you're just scrawny' or something, some great dialogue, really gets makes the characters more likeable and I've cared for them more since the games gone on.

So yeah, I'm going to do a bit more story stuff I think for now (on Chapter 6) unless the game puts up a warning telling me to do some more side-quests because it'll be awhile before we come back to an area like it did before.

#LadsOnTour

C1bB7vwXgAAVtqN.jpg

Honestly the more I play of this game this more it goes up in my estimations, I've gone from liking it to really liking it to now absolutely loving it.

Still concentrated on the story for a while and it's been great, continued on from Chapter 6, after what I've played today it's safe to say folks who like Platinum games will love this.

I'm not sure there was the need for a stealth mission after the one immediately proceeding it, but I still really enjoyed it all the same and the boss fight with  Areana after you've taken the base over was great, spending more time with Iris was cool too, she's such a lovely charming character that is just a delight to have around.

Once I got to Cape Caem it had a kind of end of the world vibe too it, another really charming, relaxing place to potter around in, the end of that chapter is rather strange with Gladio randomly saying he has to leave the party, but it was no big deal though, during Chapter 7 I thought I'd get hammered more by enemies during combat but luckily they surprisingly introduce Areana back into your party to explore a dungeon, it turns out she's an absolute legend and a badass at the same time, so charismatic, level-headed and spiky at the same time, I immediately grew to like her a lot, strange there's no mention of her attacking you in the previous chapter (unless I missed it) but it was still great having her around all the same, did feel a bit like padding at times this chapter as the trip to Cape Caem and getting the boat to Altissia seemed to take an absolute age, the bit with Gladio was really strange though, can't help but think that bit got cut or is future DLC.

Chapter 8 was quite odd in that Gladio randomly shows up in a very poor disguise to help you clear some demons out of the Power Plant in Lestallum, I was expecting a long dungeon crawl again just me and Gladio but it was over within about 5 minutes, went in cleared some demons and that was that really, I was finally able to make my way to Altissia. I'd heard about this area before, I initially thought it was Vesperpool but my guesses were wrong, I just knew it looked a lot like Venice, the boat journey was a nice moment, and entering Altissia, my jaw dropped, it was just absolutely stunning, going in through the viaduct and then going on a Gondola around the cities, I mean sure it was almost an exact replica of Venice in some regards but the ornate buildings and surroundings made it feel unique enough.

What really elevated the game even higher in my estimations though was the boss fight with Leviathan, it was just incredible, riding on the back of that spear, dodging its barbs with Prompto, then fighting it by warping back and forth across the sea to cause it damage, before coming an absolute machine, floating in mid air and battering the fuck out of it, just felt so damn amazing to behold and I'm so shocked to see something like this in an FF game, almost completely ripped from a Platinum boss fight, so damn epic, exhilarating and pure fun, was grinning from ear to ear throughout.

Did a tiny bit of Chapter 10 on the train before using Umbra to travel back to Lucis to finish off the side quests I still had in my log, took me a while to get back into the swing of things with the car journeys and stuff as I'd been mainlining the story pretty hard the last couple days, but after a short while I was back relaxing in the Duscae air, loving the quests and dungeons again.

So yeah, that's where I've left things for now, heard that once you get to Chapter 13 you're locked in all the way until the finish, so I'll be doing everything there is to do (and getting the 'Weaving a Tapestry' trophy before I continue on with the story much more, don't think there's far to go in that now but I could be wrong.

C15qWjRWQAATJCk.jpg

C15qWSjXUAAl0zR.jpg

C15qXaaWgAEmKyh.jpg

C15qYKQWIAAEBkj.jpg

Yeah, I've heard that Chapter 13 is horrendous...not looking forward to that at all.

Yeah the joins are pretty easy to see

Gladio is the most glaringly obvious, when he randomly leaves the party at Cape Caem, I'm guessing Iggy is where he injures his eye during the Leviathan boss fight? No idea about Prompto yet though...but still got a way to go.

15 hours ago, Nag said:

The Prompto chapter is really obvious too (when you see it)... It'll probably involve him being a wet twat in some capacity.

:lol: Fair play, guess I probably haven't quite got there yet then.

Spent another 4 hours doing side quests earlier, they're all fetch quests and I should hate them, but I absolutely love them, exploring the dungeons are great too, I just love pushing further and further in seeing what's behind door number 2.

Finally got the 'Weaving a Tapestry' trophy today so will go back to the story tomorrow, apparently Chapters 10, 11, 12, 14 and 15 are short and 13 long, read somewhere it should take about 6 hours to clock it, so early next week probably as the TV is usually off limits over the weekend.

What level did you guys beat it on? I'm 48 at the moment.

I think i was a lower level than both of those actually. Only advice id give you is to make sure you have lots of ethers and elixirs and phoenix downs etc as some of the last few fights will involve Noct being downed quite a bit. Throughout the game I hardly had to use them but ended up burning through most of them in that end little bit.

Went back to the story today, still really enjoying it overall although I've hit the dreaded chapter 13.

Chapters 10 to 12 just flew by really, tons of great cinematic sequences, got goosebumps at the bit where the

Leviathan turns up to protect you on the train and also the bit where you're warping between the Nif ships, bloody great stuff. Some weird bits like having to run up and down the train and the whole quarry section felt quite half baked, the whole Tenebrae section felt very crammed in too, I feel this whole map was meant to be explored (and a boss battle against the Ice thing) but they cut it because of polishing reasons or something.

Also @Nag was right, the Prompto Chapter is super obvious too, it's implemented way bettrr than Gladio's though I felt, felt much more of a natural fit for the story than the jarring nature of Gladio's.

After this was done I was finally into the dreaded chapter 13, the car section at the start was great but you get left on your own and it gets a bit weird, I was actually liking the survival horror vibe and eeriness of this section, Ardyn coming on the Loud Speaker goading you every so often really reminded me of the Joker or Scarecrow in the Arkham games, I was strangely enjoying it and appreciated they tried something different until I got to the bit with all the keycards and then falling down and having to go all the way back up again, just not much fun at all, identikit grey corridors and continuously having to update your keycard level, not much fun but not the worst thing ever, actually reminded me of some of the dungeons in Persona 4 where you have to go up tons and tons and tons of floors (150 at the most I think) so I guess I kinda got used to it in that.

Finished it earlier, turns out I was quite near the end of Chapter 13 so didn't take much longer really, took me just under 40 hours in total which is way lower than I was expecting, that was with 80 (out of the reported 120) side-quests done as well.

Was definitely glad to finish Chapter 13 off, it went on and on and on, as I mentioned in my previous post I appreciated what they were trying at the beginning of the chapter and I did enjoy the whole survival horror thing they were going for but once you get to the keycards and the doors, it's just so monotonous and boring, and then you get knocked down and have to work your way back up again, the part I played tonight wasn't too bad, just had to rescue Prompto, defeat Revus (which was a piece of piss) and then that was the end of that thankfully.

Things go seriously weird after with the Crystal and stuff, some of it went over my head a little I must admit but I got the jist of it, couldn't quite understand why 10 years had passed but thought it was cool to see Noct noticeably older, was a right old slog getting out of Galden Quay when you arrive back in Lucis and for a second I thought it was going to make you walk the 2.5 miles back to Hammerhead but thankfully there Talcutt to pick you and take you there, thought it was a nice touch driving by all the demons and seeing them displaying their swords etc. as you drive by, definitely felt like 0 hour.

Restocked at Hammerhead and then went back to Insomnia, bit of a strange section making your way through the streets, definitely feels unfinished, avoided most of the enemies by using the allies and took down some Level 40ish nasties with no trouble at all, then it was big boss time.

Ifrit was hella daunting at first, but you get into the fight and it wasn't very difficult at all, a great spectacle all the same and I loved the bit where the Glacier comes down and puts him to bed...the actual last boss fight against Ardyn was very underwhelming though, just reminded me of the fight against Areana much earlier in the game really and then it did the bit from the Leviathan when you're floating in the air to finish him. Was bloody satisfying finally sitting on that throne, definitely felt like one long epic adventure had come to an end, couldn't quite understand how he ends up marrying Luna when she was killed but I guess she was the Oracle so came back to life or some nonsense.

So yeah, I absolutely loved my time with it, spending time with all the guys, it definitely felt like one long, epic adventure by the time you got to the end and I felt the payoff was satisfying enough, much like MGSV you can definitely see where the game ended and the polishing begun though, Chapters 10 to 14 just feel very rushed and unfinished in parts and then you have the tedious Chapter 13 which is incredibly long for reasons I'm not sure of, guess they wanted you to feel like you suffered to reach your goal in the end in that part but it didn't come out very fun.

Loved the combat, strangely enjoyed the side-quests and just spending time driving around in that world, I thought the story was pretty good too and very epic in scale, can finally say I've finished a Final Fantasy game! :D

4 hours ago, mr lakitu said:

I have a question. Can you dress the guys up so that they're not completely in leather? How about hair styles?

Yeah they each had about 4 different outfits, not sure how many were part of the dlc I installed though but there 'casual outfits' and 'shirtless' :wub: outfits for all of them, didn't change them apart from Noct's though and that's only because the royal rainment suit or whatever it was called gave me more health.

• 1 year later...

Started this Friday - it didn't hook me at all. I don't know what it was but it was a real slog to put myself through the first 3-4 hours. I dunno. It was fine, just nothing really grabbed me. Anyway, I pushed through that and decided to just go on a little jaunt today, see what I could find. That's opened it up a hell of a lot. Between bounty hunts, random side missions and making my car pretty, I've had tons of fun just fucking about in the world and killing anything that looked at me funny.

I'm not brave enough to go out at night though. That's for the stupid people right now.

Story-wise, I've just met up with 

Spoiler

Iris,

who I've paused a side-mission where I'm being taken on a tour to type this out. Level 21 and just having a lot of fun at the minute. Looking forward to seeing what else it brings.

Oh and Cindy. She's got an interesting choice of clothes, hasn't she?

• 2 weeks later...

45 hours in, on the final chapter and at last I have some impressions on this thing.

You know what - I've really enjoyed this. It feels like an endless series of fetch quest after fetch quest for the most part, but it's a lot of fun.

The combat is mostly brainless but frenetic, the graphics aren't bad, and the music as you're driving round is great (I've stuck with the FFIX soundtrack from the minute I discovered it). It really manages to capture the feeling of a road trip for the lads, which is great. Whether you're driving from town to city, or you're hopping on a chocobo and taking a detour to a fishing spot, it's all underlined by this sense of comraderie that's easy to grow fond of. It really makes a difference when...

Spoiler

the team is broken up, or when you're admonished for leaving Ignis behind after he loses his sight.

I like the fact that a lot of characters have repeated missions, too - like the Hurley-from-Lost looking dude who sends you on a series of photo quests, or the weird frog lady.

Honestly, considering I wasn't sure whether I was going to enjoy this or not, I'm genuinely surprised by what's been churned out here.

God knows what the story is about though. I've only been paying passing attention to that shit. Something about unlocking the powers of former royalty to kill the daemons? And there's an immortal dude (because of course there is).

Jesus Christ they stretch that last chapter out, don't they?

Anyway, finished now. First time I've managed to get to the end of a FF game. If the end hadn't so elongated I'd have enjoyed it a hell of a lot more.

47 hours, level 56. Good fun all round really.

They slotted three more unavoidable bosses in between Ifrit and Ardyn (Ardwyn?) - I think that's the Royal Pack DLC stuff. Basically you fight a boss, switch to one of the other characters to finish it off, then do it twice more.

THEN you get the final boss. It just sucked so much out of what could have been a fairly enjoyable endgame sequence.