passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Final Fantasy XV

Sambob

This arrived yesterday and I've played 11 hours so far...it's really good, it's a bold statement but I think it's the happiest I've been with a game in terms of expectations and how it's been to play it. It's very skyrim in the exploration. It really isn't linear at all, I'm on chapter three now and it's unbelievably open world.

This might be the one in the series that brings people in, it's hardly a final fantasy at all.

Played about an hour and half. Took about 10 minutes for our first provocative tits n ass shot :lol: 

Anyway. Combat is confuzzling me. It's early days but the few fights I've been in I'm not sure if it's timing or button bashing stringing combos together kinda thing. It flows nicely. Just not been sure on producing some cool combos if it was automated or I did it :huh:

Car control is a bit restrictive. Exploration will probably open up later. Should try me a Chocobo. 

Its far too early to firm any firm impressions yet. I do hope exploration is rewarded. Lots of secret, hidden away items and bosses. I always liked to find companions aswell. Seems like it'll be just us four maybe. Hmmm. 

Interesting. Slightly disappointed as "guest" sounds like "fleeting". If they join for a limited time then F-off it's not quite the same as building my own party :( 

Ah well it's a small thing. I'm guessing the blonde lady I've seen in the film/trailers is the usual summoner type ^_^

I'm 20 hours in and I'm just loving this, it's just exactly what I want to play in a game. once you unlock the flying vehicle from the trailers it's going to be amazing to cruise around. The world is fucking massive.

It's just great, I'm having such a good time playing it, shaping up to be my favourite game.

I've not played it enough to figure out how I feel about it as a whole but fuck me am I loving the flowery banter between everyone.  It's like P.G. Wodehouse, sometimes (eyes the literature fans in the audience).

I get frustrated that I can't drive anymore after I could that one time.  It's so limiting, but it did result in a little moment I found very funny.  I guess I'm so used to doing any dumb, elaborate shit in open world games you can lose sight of the subtle things.  Like the most anarchic thing I did while I was behind the wheel of the car was break too hard and interrupt Gladiolus reading his book in the back seat.  I definitely laughed at that more than the last time I barrel rolled a car two dozen times before it hit that ground.

Oh and I ran on the beach with Gladiolus while some guitar music played.  I've also killed a bunch of stuff.

I'm getting a Xenoblade vibe from this, not just because of the big open world but they are pacing out the main plot points very sparingly.  I didn't mind it there, at all, but it is frustrating me just a little here.  I guess I need to play more to either figure out why its bothering me or let myself fall in the flow of it.

I haven't played it yet but this game has inspired some of the best-written reviews I've read for a game, or at least some of the most detailed reviews I've read. I actually read five or six reviews of this game, just to hear people's different opinions. 

By and large the consensus seems to be that the game is really good (a miracle given the game's development history) with everybody praising the four main characters, with the most common complaint being that the story doesn't add up to much (and the later, linear potion of the game is a bit all over the place).

Descriptions of the game - the significant volume of side quests compared to story development - make me think of FF12. 

The reason i post post this is because your comment about plot points reminded me of the reviews DC.

@Nag read in some reviews the inventory management is poor. You don't know what's useful later down the line, so you end up hoarding stuff :wacko: I think that's going to annoy me. Especially if Gil is going to be tight.

This story things concerns me aswell. I think that was a criticism i had with XII. Games that pad out any meaningful missions with mundane sidequests should be a thing of the past. If they lead to good rewards like weapons and summons or funny/interesting character development, fair enough. But if it's boring fetch quests for a bit of XP... :angry:

When you get to the city powered by the meteor there is a chef there who will cook a meal that had the equaliser property. It effectively negates the difference caused by levels. Its expensive, around 8k but it's worth it. I ate it and then went to the area near the behemoth at night and just took out iron giant after iron giant. I was around the level you are @Nag and I must have gone up a fair few levels from doing that.

Fully agree on the combat system, it's takes a while to truly understand but when you get those points  warps recharging your mp and then the link bar charging fast it's possible to really chew through enemies and is a good level of challenge whilst not being as punishingly tough as previous final fantasy games. Basically as long as you have phoenix downs you can never get game over as you always are able to revive yourself and then leg it, and I think the only exception so are things like tough bosses at the end of long dungeons (which does sort of happen the further in you get) but that early ten hours to twenty hours of exploration are so good to play.

I think im definitely on the home straight as far as story goes now. Its gone quite linear (I just had nearly an hour where I couldnt even save the game) and the tone has shifted very severely. Im still enjoying but its a very different feeling game now. Im assuming that once all the story stuff is done there will be a way of going back to doing all the things I was doing early on, because ive rather stupidly been using just one save file and have no way of getting back to doing some of the side quests other than starting over. (I know there is a gimmick already where ive been given the option to visit 'past Lucis' which makes me think im near the time jump which the very start of the game shows you)

As much as ive loved all the changes and tweaks to the established formula that are presented here, there is one that im not as happy about and thats the summons. I get that they are more important to the story so you cant just summon them like your bitches whenever you want because it would totally devalue you them. You couldnt imagine summoning the utterly enormous titan (or Leviathan for that matter) who powers an entire city and is steeped just to kill five goblins or whatever because it would totally break the illusion that it builds up, these are legendary, hallowed deities and dont just pop along to kill this level 5 seahorse like creature. Having said that, it would be nice to have a few little summons that are like they were in the old games, maybe demi god level or whatever, and to be honest im probably about three quarters through the story, I dont even have the flying car and maybe there are a lot of gameplay twists to come. 

Thats one thing that convinced me to come back - the open map. I used to love exploring and finding things. When when I was near the end I'd save a separate file, defeat the game, reload and go buy a guide to find all the bits I couldn't. Once I'd done everything I'd go in and whup the boss again. 

You've not got a flying vehicle yet though? :mellow: how many hours in? I need to explore :blink:

Yeah it looks like they let you do your thing via some sort of shenanigans once youve finished the main story, which is good because like you @ThreeFour i used to do that save before you win thing, but it always felt not quite right having to go back to before youd beaten the game once you beat the game. To be fair it does very often say 'you wont be coming back for a while are you sure?' but its all about the exploration and there seems to be tons in this game that you can do. Im looking forward to finishing it and then getting a guide and seeing what the game has to offer.

Fuck me! Just doing some quests for sweet cheeks that I missed and happened upon. on the second bit I fetched some item at the entrance to a mine. So you know thought I'd venture in. level 7 goblins keep ambushing me. Easy enough. I'm thinking I'll get to the end, kill what's there, no problem...

:o:blink: *LV52 onimusha warlord wipes party with one 9999 swipe*

RUN AWAY!!!

Satisfying, its the general consensus in all the reviews and I agree with it.

I didnt particularly love the final part of the game in general, just because its different from the rest and im not sure why, its not bad per say, its just not what I was enjoying, but then you get to go back to what you loved earlier so its all good.

It has made me think about returning to games where there is an ending, and how games could realistically go about doing it, but I will discuss it when more people have played and finished the game.

I spent about five more hours just doing the exploration of stuff that unlocks after you finish it and its great stuff, and having played some of the post-game content its made me feel better about the slight change of pace at the end of the story just because its allowed me to basically get the story done with so I can enjoy the gameplay.

• 2 weeks later...

I finished it today too :)

I'm not going to bother too much with the sidequests. I might have a gander at a guide if I struggle to find worthwhile stuff. I know there's top tier weapons to find. I know there's tough opponents behind those doors in the dungeons. I'm sure there's locations only the flying Regalia can get to.

Fuck fetching frogs or some crap...

IMG_20161214_163034.jpg

Hmm. that was my concern. whether the sidequests yielded any meaningful gear if not engaging end results. You been in any dungeons to open the doors yet @Nag? I'm lvl 48 and too under levelled for stuff like the Adamantoise. So my thoughts are grinding (yawn) and lower level big nasties. I need to find some end gear weapons aswell. A guide is needed I think.

Might play Doom for a bit of a break tho.

• 3 weeks later...

Watched the entirety of the Brotherhood and Kingsglaive (which was surprisingly good) so I felt I was all keyed into the setting, story etc. and what's going on in Insomnia and the surrounding world before I play

So started the game on Friday and a bit more on Saturday, still in Chapter 1 about 4.5 hours in so still very early days.

But yeah, I like it, I felt with Brotherhood I got to know all the characters quite a bit so I already liked them and felt like I knew them before I jumped in the game which is good, I really like that it doesn't bother with any tutorials or anything if you don't want it to and gets you into the open world really really quick, I think almost every FF game I've played in the past has had a 30 minute CGI cutscene at the start of the game setting everything up, this had a much shorter one and I seemed to be pushing the car into the Petrol station with the lads within 5 minutes or so.

There's a lot to take in at the start with all the menus, knowing what all the different points mean, how you earn money, access side-quests and how combat works etc. But the hint-system is very helpful and got me fully acclimatised with the game within an hour or so really which is good.

I don't really know why as on paper they're such different games but it really reminds me of the Yakuza series, just the way the menus are laid out, the side-quests have a ? icon which is the same and some of the miming actions in cutscenes when lodging at a Caravan are very similar, even the way you pick up items and the way the menus are laid out remind me of that, really didn't expect that going in.

I liked the combat in the demo and it was the same case here really, it can feel a slight bit too button-mashy at times, and sometimes it feels like the controls aren't quite responsive enough to dodge or block an attack in time, hard spotting Noct on the battlefield with everything going on around you too, but yeah, it's fun, it has that DMC-like quality to it that I enjoyed in the demo with the Warp-strikes etc. and it seems like it'll get more tactical as the game goes on.

The story interludes seem really odd though, if I didn't watch Kingsglaive before starting I really wouldn't have a clue about anything going on really, there's this cutscene with a random dude that you meet in one of the locales and I wouldn't of had a clue who he was if it wasn't for the film, it really seems integral to be able to follow the story without being utterly bewildered and confused, also made the mistake of running out of Petrol and had to push the car back to the nearest town for 15 real-life minutes which was one of the least-fun things I think I've ever done in a game ever.

But yeah, I like it, I think it's pretty cool and just like playing one of the Yakuza games (which I love) so it bodes well for the rest of the game.