passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Virtual Reality Stuff

spatular

getting the Quest 2 up and running via my PC was a bit of a chore. Turns out AMD are shit at GPU drivers for VR, so had to roll my drivers back to a release from November last year,`. It's all up and running now though (after about an hour of top level Googling). Very briefly tried Elite Dangerous just to test it, and it seems to run nicely. It's going to be amazing for that game.

Rest assured that the latest nvidia drivers are also shit for VR, especially on their newest GPUs. There is a constant stutter problem with steam vr which can only be resolved by rolling back 8 months or so. Which can't be done if you have a 30xx card

It just isn't a priority anymore unfortunately.

Pistol Whip certainly does not disappoint. Went through the first few levels, then just stuck to the opening one trying to get an A rank. It's awesome, like Time Crisis meets guitar hero.

I also picked up Fisherman's Tale as it was on sale the other day. It's a really cool, clever VR story where you play a puppet of a fisherman trying to turn the light back on in your light house, but it is a bit inception like in that you can see inside a model of the lighthouse and also you are in a model of the light house, so you have to do things like pass objects between the different puppet versions. It's a good lateral thinking puzzle game wrapped up in a neat well presented story. I don't think it's very long though, I played for less than an hour and completed 3 out of 5 chapters.

• 3 weeks later...

Went and ordered an elite strap and battery pack for my quest 2. As much as I love my Q2 it has two big problems which Jim might vouch for. Shit battery and shit comfort (especially as a glasses wearer). Hopefully I can fix both of these issues.

Other than that I went and got one of those 'The Room' games, 'Dark Matter'. It's not VR Tommy Wiseau (although can we get that as well actually), it's one of those point and click mystery games. Even in VR you can feel the P&C roots a bit as they only let you teleport but an escape room game is lots of fun for a VR setting. I don't expect to find lots of HL Alyx type experiences but more of this type of stuff is something I could get into

Wouldn't mind trying the Quest port of Myst as well but I don't know if Myst is even still considered a good game or not.

I've not had to many issues with the battery, it's last long enough for how long I want to use it, but the strap is by far the weakest part of the quest 2, it's just shit. I don't really want to drop £50 on the elite strap either though. There are some halo style straps on Ali Express that have good reviews, I might plump for one of those at some point.

I'd like to get the room as well, but going to wait for a sale as it seemed quite expensive for something that I guess lasts a couple of hours and doesn't have(I assume) much replay value. There is the Mars one as well that's meant to be good, I'd probably go for that one first.

I've mainly be playing Mini Golf, it's nice and colourful, really easy to play, but still challenging and is great.

I've had my Quest 2 since launch and have been loving it. I know so any people that have one as well, it's become a really nice social experience. Played a fair bit of Walkabout Golf, Rez, Pokerstars VR as well as Beat Saber (which I managed to mod to upload my own songs) and Synth Riders. Playing Half and Half with some friends was quite possibly the most i've laughed in the last two years.

Also got Steam VR running on my laptop's 1060 Max Q, after a fair bit of tinkering. Despite being below the minimum spec, Half Life Alyx runs really well. I also tried Phasmaphobia in VR. Fuck. That. Shit.

I spent ages yesterday trying to set up Resident Evil VII with 'vorpx' (a program that tries to make non VR games work in VR) but no dice :(

Even in flat screen theatre mode that game is well more atmospheric in a headset. It really is sad that there's no proper PCVR port, the sound design is made for it. Even the moldy boys are spooky.

Did a head test of this. A bit harder to get on cause you have to twist the dial all the way to squeeze your head in, glasses a downside. But once on it just 'rests' once you dial in the correct setting. Very nice. I do hope some of the reports of build reliability have been addressed by now, in any case I have warranty

7QkqvVm.jpg

The little coloured rings on the lens are to keep glasses from scratching. I should/could get the prescription lens but cba phoning my eye doctor for my prescription and it would mean only I could use it

• 1 month later...

The elite strap is really good, I think. There's some reports out there of people getting there's cracked, I've not had mine long enough or used it enough to confirm that they've fixed that or not. But it's an immersion boost I'd say cause you aren't constantly adjusting the headset and tightening/loosening. You just adjust once and it's like tying your shoelace but on your head

The way you put it on is you twist the knob so the back is close to the headset itself, tilt the headset up at an angle, then twist the knob out again so it's fully extended. Put your face in first then rest the resty bit at the back of the head and tighten. A bit more set up but that's the only setup you'll likely do in a session.

On vr experiences I've been dipping in and out of Skyrim as it's one of the biggest games of all time that I've not actually played. You have to put in immense effort to turn that game into a good VR experience but it is possible if you want to spend 6 or 8 hours being a QA on nexus mods and fucking around with .ini files. It's horrible. But I had a cool experience with it at a derelict castle filled with bandits just outside of Whiterun. There's a bunch of fuckers there with arrows, the thing VR does really well is fidelity of interaction with stuff like that. You're ducking behind rocks and running around picking up stray arrows that have shot your way and pulling them and shooting them back. It's what I try to say to people about VR, it's not just immersion it's a fundamentally different thing that it does when you're in a fully 3D space with proper motion controls. It unlocks mechanics which don't really translate into other forms so well. Because in 2D skyrim it's a purely binary interaction where you run around and point your bow at people and shoot them, or press the stick in to crouch. In VR it turns into a cover shooter with extremely intense and difficult archery mechanics. It's not necessarily 'better' than traditional Skyrim but the interactions can be much richer, or they would be if Bethesda were a bit more motivated to turn their biggest game into something more servicable in VR without needing mods all the time

I dunno if I'll stick with VR Skyrim, it's a lot of hassle and the game is so massive and doesn't suit a 1 hour session here and there. But it could be cool I suppose especially if you install the right mods and set interesting limits for your character and you're the type who gets way into shit like that. Just don't fuck around with the melee cause it's not Boneworks or anything it's just horrible. Stick with ranged for the intense immersion factor

I ended up ordering a third party halo head strap from Ali Express but I think its currently wedged in the Suez Canal. I've not really used live much for a few weeks, I did finish off fisherman's Tale which was excellent albeit pretty short (maybe 1 - 1 and a half hours and nothing to do second time around).

• 2 weeks later...

There is apparently a thing called 'Frankenquest' where you get someone to 3D print a part that will let you attach a vive strap to the quest. But it is ridiculous that this is even a 'solution', 'cheap' hardware comes at a price I suppose.

I was getting way into Alyx mods too, tho I think Nvidia must have knackered VR performance again as it's gone way down since I last played