passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Lords of the Fallen

Hendo

Anyone else given this a go?

It's been free on both Xbox and PS4 now so I'be finally given it a quick go, and yeah,  it very much is a Souls game.

One of the main differences so far is the lack of customising your character. You can obviously level up which way you want and choose equipment but rather than the silent hero from the Souls games, they're definitely telling a story and want him to match the CG.

There'a only 3 classes to choose from and I just went for the hitting things option.

A couple of other differences from the Souls games:

When you die you have a limited time to get your xp back and the percentage of what you regain will be lower depending on how quick you are.

Also you bank xp to either spell points or attribute points. Once banked, those points are locked, but xp you haven't locked in can be lost via death.

Doesn't run great. It's not terrible but it definitely seems a bit framey on console and there's a slight delay with hitting buttons and seeing animations whir into place.

It's alright, might play some more. Certainly won't be deleting it just yet.

It actually took me a while to die the first time. That was at the mercy of a spider, which kept on killing me till I went another way then came back after a couple of level ups.

It's definitely more forgiving than DS and less obtuse but it's still pretty damn hard.

I'm a couple of boss fights in now. Missing the co-op frivolity but not missing getting invaded.

Put some more time into this, certainly more than I was expecting to do.

For all the talk of it being a more arcadey DS, it's still bastard hard.

One of the more approachable differences is that you can return to the checkpoints after killing stuff to replenish your health and potions and the enemies don't respawn, which is cool. Still bastard hard when you do die and have to fight them all again though.

My character has gone through some interesting changes, in that how I planned to spec him has changed considerably.

I went in wanting a purely big heavy brawler with massive armour and weapons, but while I have stuck with that to a point, I've found myself putting points in Faith to use some of the cool spells.

The first one I wanted to use is a mimic that fools the enemies into attacking it while you get up behind them. That's pretty useful, but a better one for me to invest in is an actual AI buddy who will come in and attack with me. So it seems my specs will be all over the place.

• 11 months later...

Just played 45 minutes of this (I've been playing games that start with the letter "L" on Steam). So far the game has been very easy compared to Dark Souls. In fact, the game doesn't really feel like Dark Souls at all (so far), in spite of everything it has in common with Dark Souls, because it doesn't have the atmosphere, the moment to moment intensity or the immersive world of that series, to name just a few things that make DS unique.

I haven't come to the spiders yet but i youtubed them after you mentioned them Hendo and it seems that i will encounter them almost immediately.

But I'm enjoying it so far. I think the game makes a solid first impression.

• 1 year later...

I started this earlier, picked it up for £3 off the PlayStation Store. 

I’m a couple hours in, got to the third Lord in the graveyard and it is cheap as fuck. Working it out though so there’s that. 

It’s ok so far, slower, clunkier and easier than Dark Souls, and the VO is hilariously bad, but it seems fine. Gonna stick with it, just chilling away at it when I’m bored. 

Three bosses down and it’s not half as bad as I was expecting it to be. The boss I just did in the graveyard was a cheap piece of shit though so I’m glad it’s dead. 

I like the exp combo system, it’s a really nice idea but I can see it being easy to manipulate later on. Not that I’m complaining, anything that helps lessen grinding is welcome.

There’a a sequel in development hell, apparently, but the same team also made The Surge which is often in the sales and seems an ok Souls type game. Most impressions I’ve read is that it starts out well but loses its way by the end.

Yeah the roll sucks. I don’t know if it’s becauseee my guy is a paladin in heavy armour but when he just kinda flops on the floor like magikarp when I try and roll so I’m mostly just tanking everything.

4 out of 11 bosses done though so it’s working.

5 out of 11 bosses absolutely rek’d. I’m getting the impression this is not a long game.

And my dodge roll seems to be working better now so I think it’s dependant on how heavy your armour is.

You can really feel the difference when you equip new weapons and armour, and your health, magic, and stamina bars grow noticeably when you level them up with is really nice. 

Finished. 

Considerably better than I was expecting it to be, although basement level expectations and a £3 price tag probably helped. Only took me 13 hour 45 minutes to finish so was a nice length.

Feels as close to Darksiders than it does Dark Souls gameplay wise, but the level design is a lot more restrictive (lots of tight corridors, etc). Exploration was fun, but most of the bosses were completely uninspired, and the final boss is basically The Joker from Arkham Asylum. The ending is cool, you get different story beats depending on decisions you made during the story, and there's NG+ so it has some replay value - and we'll be doing it on the channel once we're done with the From Software titles.