passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

No Man's Sky

Whiskey_chaser

I managed to play a few hours last night, managing to get off the starter planet and visit five or six more. My first thoughts are that it's not a game for everybody - but i'm enjoying just pottering around the planets, hunting down points of interest and making a killing by trading on the galactic exchange. The starting ship looks a bit like a bath tub with rockets strapped to it so i'm prioritising a new one that looks better and has more space to haul my loot.

Out of the five or so planets i've visited, i've found an ice planet, a planet of toxic rain covered in phallic looking bright green tree's, and a planet covered in mostly water, where I lucked out and found a bunch of monuments clustered together that taught me some new alien lingo, which by understanding the word 'rare' made me give a load of rare minerals to what looked like a third member of Daft Punk and make him happy. My favourite animal so far is what I can only describe as a meat based slinky with an elephant face, although seen plenty of variety - followed a weird bouncing sea anemone type thing around for a while as it was so bizarre. 

My only disappointment so far is that they seem to have made it impossible to crash your ship. Theres an invisible barrier above all planets that means you can only get as close to 50 or so feet above the ground. Landing is simply holding down square for a few seconds.

But so far so good - as said, not a game for everyone - it's a really slow/gentile game to play - in fact probably one of the most relaxing games i've ever played. And i can't stop thinking about it either. 

I'm much more of a bastard. Killing everything I come across, including the little bots.

I finally managed to find some of that rock I needed and get out into space. I was pretty much ready to give up before that, to be honest.

Found a distress beacon and got blueprints for something new but now my slots are full and not sure what I can get rid of to make room for it.

I'm not sure it's for me but I'll try and give it a fair shake.

Managed to get my hyperdrive thingy sorted last night, and managed two jumps in total last night. Struggled for ages trying to find material i needed to do it, only to land on a planet and find a massive rock full of the stuff. I've also made quite a bit of cash on the exchange, so managed to switch my gun/tool  a couple of times, and lucked out by finding two suit expansion slots.

Had a few fights as well, got attacked by space pirates on my way to a station, managed to total them and gets some rare minerals which i sold for a small fortune, and have encountered a pack of aggressive animals as well (screw you Wangfoot's). Also found my first 'large' creature, a six legged stegosaurus type thing that was twice the size of my ship. 

One of my favourite moments so far was running out of fuel for my ships take off. This happened on top of a mountain on a really barren planet, really far away from any fuel. As soon as I set off, i was caught in the middle of a radioactive storm which chewed through my supplies trying to keep my suit in one piece. Managed to get to a cave in the nick of time containing everything i needed, and a suit expansion slot. 

I'm absolutely loving my time with this - i've been playing it with some decent headphones and it's just a great game to get lost in. There's something really intimate about it, knowing that very few, if any, people will land on the planets i'm moping around on.

Oh, and screw you profanity filter - i'm swearing in Latin – we're flying in the Stercore system now!

And to top off a night of awesome space exploration, I then went outside and watched some of the meteor shower with the Mrs.

I had a few hours on this last night. I think its good, I could be wrong, its that kind of game.

I dont really know what im doing, I dont really think thats the point of the game and for me thats quite an unusual feeling in games and so its making it hard for me to know how good it is. Put it this way, im enjoying playing it and want to play more even if im not entirely sure what im going to be doing next time I play it.

So far ive adopted a kind of 'fly about and see whats going on' kind of approach to playing it rather than trying to set objectives. I got to my first space station and ending up spending about an hour buying things from one alien and then selling them to another one. I felt like I was making a lot of money doing it but then I seemed to have way less than I thought I did once I had finished, but its this kind of organic play session that appeals to me about the game.

It seems apparent that exploration will lead to more exploration, by that I mean that you will meet an alien or stumble across a broken ship part or ancient terminal that will give you new technology which you then hunt for bits to build which allows to go somewhere new and do it all again but differently.

I really cant tell at the moment if this is genius or what...its a bit like with Destiny where you would just play it and play it and not really know why. Its fun to play, its enjoyable, its relaxing and its engrossing. You dont end a play session feeling frustrated its very much like Minecraft in that sense, and like Minecraft, how often you play depends on what appeals to you in games. Some will find the lack of direction and objective as restrictive as it is freeing.

Well thats the beauty of a game like this, it depends on whats hot at the time. Prices fluctuate, and different species like different things. What I was doing last night is finding the most expensive things to buy that were cheaper than the Galactic Trade thingy would buy. I dont remember the name of it but I was buying them for 30K and selling them for 60K, four at a time. You have to be careful because you can occasionally get lumped with some extra stock if you buy loads and then all of a sudden nobody wants to buy them off you, its how I lost a lot of money last night.

Although I'm still able to explore a lot (discovered quite a few alien words), I seem to have become stuck.

The game is prodding me to charge my new hyperdrive with a warp cell which I can't find anywhere, nor buy any.

I also spent most of my money buying this new mining weapon which I thought was better than my starting one but it doesn't have the gun on it.

If I can get past this early stumbling block, then I might keep it, but the thought of selling it for 40 quid is getting quite tempting at the moment.