passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

No Man's Sky

Whiskey_chaser

I've made a bunch more progress (got extra slots, upgrades, learnt new words) but still can't craft the warp cells.

I have both the ingredients but have no option to put them together so i'm guessing I'm missing the recipe?

24 minutes ago, mr lakitu said:

That is amusing. Made me think of Blackgang chine.

Say what? How do you know about Blackgang Chine?

I have this game now. That's right, I'm cool, I'm down with the kids. It's fucking engrossing stuff. Discovering things is extremely satisfying. There's a lot to take in. Once I fixed my ship I was flying for 15 minutes in space before I realised the game was telling me to hit R1 and L1 (or the 2's, can't remember) so I could super bez it, got to the space station in minutes. Tired, came up to bed. I like it so far. The game that is, liking bed is a given.

I've spent the last five-six hours pottering around the system where I got my first Atlas stone. It's been nice to find a group of moderately safe planets that aren't bombarded by heat/radioactive/ice storms. After saving to buy a new ship, I found an even better one in a smoking heap on a planet surface so spent a while fixing that up - it had far better weaponry and an improved warp drive, so i've since been picking fights with space pirates (and winning).

I've also managed to get head-butted by an alien, slapped by another, and due to a simple misunderstanding of language, am to be wed to an alien that looks like a deformed arse with a mouth. Best fix that warp drive post haste! 

I bought No Man's Sky last night from Good Old Games. Ok, I played a bit of a crafty one, as I had £10 on Gog, and a 5% discount code. And also, as the Gog version is DRM free, my son and I went half's on it. So £28.50 later, I'm downloading the game. 

I copied the install files to a memory stick, and passed it to my son, and set in installing. Then I started the game, and my problems began.

It turns out that the PC version is badly optimised, and my copy kept crashing to desktop on startup. My son, who's PC is much more powerful than mine, is having no problems at all.

So some Google research finds an unofficial patch that sorts out a lot of the issues. I run the patch, and the game finally works. 

By this time, it was late, so I've played it till the take off thrusters were fixed, and jumped in and out of the ship to save it.

Btw, I loved the Star Scape load screen. Very pretty.

Went back to this yesterday. 

Not made any warp cells yet so I've still only made the big jump once. Added the planets Sun Centre and Prestatyn to the Rhyl system.

Largely I've just been mulling around finding stuff and talking to Daft Punk.

In fact, last night I literally spent an hour giving this dude carbon, asking for a new word then asking for the carbon back and repeating this process. And then I had to question the choices that brought my life to this point and turn it off and go to bed.

It is that sort of game. I think thats the problem for me and I mentioned it in my initial impressions, because there is no real set objective, you do wonder exactly why you are doing some things. Like, why did you learn loads of words from that dude, why have I been mining gold for an hour and then walking all the way back to my ship and then going to mind more gold.

I really enjoy playing it but then I keep thinking about trading it in before the price lowers too much, maybe thats part of the game too.