Sonic Superstars

DANGERMAN

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

Could be franchise teams, maybe? Team Sonic, Team Golden Axe, Team... erm... Shinobi?

Surely they have enough characters and series to do that?

But yeah, same as you - I'll probably be less interested if it's just Sonic and chums.

Kotaku UK Team Sonic Racing preview

Team Sonic Racing is a 12-player kart racer where racers are split up into four teams. Where kart racers typically reward players for their personal performance and own finishing position, Team Sonic Racing gives each player on a team points based on their finishing position, then adds up those points for an overall team score. Simply put, you can't win as an individual by just being the best racer; if the team doesn't do well, then nobody does.

Team Sonic Racing gives players a number of tools to help out their fellow racers, none of which I have really seen employed in this sort of cooperative racing game before. If you pick up an item (called Wisps) while racing around the track, but are considerably further up the pack than your teammates, you can press a button to offer that item to your team.

If one of your team members accepts and takes the item, it'll warp over to them, allowing them to catch up more easily (and hopefully knock a few people off your own tail). If you're the player falling behind, you can use that same button to request items from your team, and any players with an item available have the option to pass theirs over. By passing items between your team, hitting enemy racers with items, or pulling off collaborative racing moves like slipstream boosts, you can slowly build up a team energy meter too which, when full, can be activated to give every racer on your team a short but substantial speed boost.

I'm seeing an advantage to having it be a Sonic game instead of a general SEGA one.  They can tailor the item boxed and weapons to be inspired by Sonic lore instead of generic items like rockets and stuff that the last game had.

I mean I'll miss playing as Beat but at least it should make the game feel more holistic.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Oh no! Team Sonic Racing delayed until next year

Team Sonic Racing will no longer release this year, as originally planned, Sega has announced. Instead, those that like their hedgehogs blue and their woodland animals fast will now need to wait until May 21st next year.

Team Sonic Racing is being developer by Sumo Digital, the developer behind 2012's superb Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed and its predecessor Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing. Following much teasing and leaking earlier this year, Sega finally announced the game would be coming to PC, Switch, Xbox One, and PS4 some time "this winter".

Fans rejoiced! As did Eurogamer's Martin Robinson, who took a look at Team Sonic Racing in June. He came away impressed, calling it "the same fundamentally brilliant arcade racer [that] Sumo Digital has proven it's more than adept at creating over the years".

Despite positive early impressions, however, Sega says it's now made the decision to push Team Sonic Racing's launch back to May next year in order to "hone the title to enhance the player experience" and ensure it "delivers the best gameplay experience possible."

"We understand that many fans were looking forward to a Winter release and apologise for any inconvenience caused," Sega said, "We're confident that with this additional time our teams will ensure delivering an unforgettable experience that fans can enjoy for years to come."

Lucky escape for R2D2

• 6 months later...

I could have been tempted by this because I loved Racing Transformed but even after the delay the game still looks really flat and uninteresting. No transforming vehicles, less variety in the visuals because the lack of other Sega stuff and the reviews haven’t really done to off set the impression this is a step backwards. I will watch some more videos later and DF’s breakdown but a I think I’ll end up passing on this