MFGamers

Death Stranding

DisturbedSwan

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

59 minutes ago, Maf said:

Watching GB watch the TGS footage and this game is either genius or absolute fucking ass there will be no inbetween on this 

Well your first problem there is watching GB. They’ll convince you anything is ass.

Also, has Kojima ever made a legitimately bad game? No. 

I think DS looks good but not something many will enjoy, unless the shown gameplay is trolling. 

Idk what people were expecting but if it’s not what they want I’m not sure what’s to be gained by repeatedly saying how much they don’t like DS.

I don’t know who”s repeatedly saying they don’t like it but I didn’t even have a clue what it was until about 10 hours ago. 

Honestly out of everything I feel sorry for the actor. I have to imagine he knew nothing about video games, his management must of been like “No, this dude is the dude. This will boost your profile and you will get good mileage out of these video games” and then he signs up for it and the whole time has no idea what’s going on and is like “Er, yeah, Ok. Well, we can...shoot that, I mean, sure. You’re the dude, after all. Looking at my dick. Got it.” and now it’s coming out he must be very nervous he doesn’t just end up as a meme machine.

Or maybe that’s the mileage. 

Giantbomb is a good bullshit filter for making these press releases more interesting to watch. You dont need a bunch of 30 somethings saying "goatey" all the time being a bunch of hype merchants. Not everyone is into that, it can be cloying and feel forced

It's like Terry Wogen commentating on the Eurovision imo. Some stuff is just impossible to sit through without a filter

This is my first time seeing DS as well (on GB) and it's made me a bit more interested in what it is.

I think why the game doesn’t work for me is because the concepts are so silly yet it takes itself so seriously but then has almost slapstick like qualities to it. I’m in that between bit where parts of it I would describe as having a quirky personality, silly ladders and scooters. and other parts I would describe as off puttingly strange, piss grenades. 

It’s also a very cold looking game. Considering it’s a game about connections it’s not a game that feels like it has any heart at all. Like it’s beautiful, sophisticated graphics and all the yada, yada. But the tone and everything is very cold to me. 

And the baby is gross. I actually don’t mind babies but not this pod one it’s yuck.

But this is all from looking at it. I’m still interested because of Kojima. 

I get that this is a weird take, but it's why I think Kojima is trying to do a Ulysses with this. Both have a similar sort of earthy focus on body functions, the pee and the poo and the cum and stuff. But also they're unapologetically mundane. What if someone wrote a 700 page book about a guy walking around Dublin, buying groceries and having a wank. Or what if Kojima made this epic video game where you just do boring deliveries and have to balance while walking and stuff.

Like he's been given this carte blanche to do what he probably thinks is the ultimate game experience. I think I'll still probably hate it, but I suppose it's wrong to begrudge someone trying to do something like this.

The part where it turns into an actual video game almost feels like the one part where someone said "no, you cant just make a really boring game that's not going to fly dude". So you get the TPS action segments that stand out sort of weird.

My main take tho is it feels sort of like it could be overdesigned. Every system feels like its there to point to the "strand" thing, but maybe they dont all fit together very well.

MGS games were full of unnecessary details but it was often off to the side, a fun thing you can use. Starving soldiers in mgs3 and feeding them poison food. Shooting out radios in Mgs2. Here tho the weird details feels like the whole point of the game and the loop is always in service to this.

16 hours ago, one-armed dwarf said:

Giantbomb is a good bullshit filter for making these press releases more interesting to watch. You dont need a bunch of 30 somethings saying "goatey" all the time being a bunch of hype merchants. Not everyone is into that, it can be cloying and feel forced

It's like Terry Wogen commentating on the Eurovision imo. Some stuff is just impossible to sit through without a filter

This is my first time seeing DS as well (on GB) and it's made me a bit more interested in what it is.

Personally, games mean joy and happiness to me so when I’m listening to folks comment on something being overly cynical (criticism is fine) it’s just a complete buzzkill and downer for me. 

I’m a passionate and excitable guy when it comes to games and I want the people I listen to share that passion and excitement not tear apart every aspect of it whilst taking the piss. It’s like watching a load of people who don’t know about games talk about how they’re a waste of time or something, the effect is similar, I just don’t have time for it. I like positivity and enthusiasm not negativity and cynicism. 

If I regularly listened to Giant Bomb I don’t actually know whether I’d bother with many games. Because their coverage is tantamount to making most of them look shit.