MFGamers

Days Gone

DisturbedSwan

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Maf said:

Is it worrying that the only out and out positive thing I’ve seen or heard about this game is about the menus?

Have you watched the Previews I posted on the previous page? Most articles from Polygon, GameInformer et al. Were positive on it too :) 

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I’m watching GI play 30 minutes of this. I know videos from these kinds of outlets are supposed to be informative to a degree, but why do they think that equates to running around and showing different mechanics with no rhyme or reason, instead of just playing the game normally and showing the game mechanics as opportunities present themselves?

The best way to inform the audience of what the game is actually like is to make a video of the game being played naturally so we can see what the playing experience is actually like. Instead of playing the game like no one ever would and make it look like shit just to show off bit of the game you would see anyway if you played normally. 

Particualrly when the trade off is the game looking bad and them selves looking bad just to show the most rudimentary mechanics of console survival games. 

I’ve never really liked the attitude of “Fuck game journalists” because it’s super elitist and that “pro gamer” shit but they do make it hard for them selves sometimes 

EDIT: This post reads really angrily. It’s not meant to. I’m not even considering buying the game anyway because I think it always looked redundant, but I am curious to see what the final result of the game is and the people in the video aren’t doing a good job of showing that when they play like mugs

DOUBLE EDIT: Still sounds angry. It is not meant too! 

Days Gone free DLC kicks off in June. Includes new bike, horde, combat challenges & 'Survival' difficulty

Days Gone is almost here! The team at Bend Studio can’t wait for players to test their luck against three difficulty modes that ship with the game on April 26. Whether playing Easy, Normal, or Hard mode you can expect a game that challenges your survival skills across a 30+ hour golden path and many more hours of open world hordes, ambush camps, infestation zones, mysterious NERO checkpoints, and dynamic events in the post-apocalyptic Oregon setting.

Not only does this world come for you, but starting in June, a whole new difficulty mode and new challenges each week are coming for all Days Gone owners with an active internet connection — for free!

‘Survival’ difficulty mode tests players by daring them to beat the story with increased difficulty settings, no fast travel or Survival Vision, and an immersive HUD that removes maps and indicators from the gameplay screen. Every tweak and change made is designed to further immerse players and ratchet up the tension to make this the definitive survival experience.

Each week beginning in June, a new Bike, Horde, or Combat challenge will be deployed to test players even further. These challenges take key gameplay features of Days Gone, and twists them in unique ways to earn additional items and rewards. We’ll give you more information on the specific challenges down the road.

Beating the Survival Difficulty and challenges won’t be in vain — players can earn new trophies and unique bike skins to show off in photo mode to prove they’re bonafide Days Gone survivors. Are you?

5 hours ago, Maf said:

Still sounds angry

I don't think I could ever imagine you angry. Like a soft southern teddy bear.

Anyway my brother is thinking about getting this. I keep flip flopping. 

I doubt I will. 

?

I watched an hour of this before, it looks... fine. The first part of the video was taking on ambush camps (humans), and it looked like any other 3rd person action game, be that Horizon or the recent Assassin's Creed games. The guy scoped out the camp, enemies were marked, then he hid in some bushes and took them out when they came close on their route. There's a focus system so time slows and you can line up your shots

The 2nd part was more about the zombies. He had to clear out an infested area, what he showed wasn't a huge number of enemies, but the video ends before he finishes that mission so who knows. The area had a few nests and he was burning them then killing the zombies in the area

it looked alright to me, a bit rote I guess, nothing especially new, but I didn't see anything that looked like a train wreck

72% metacritic

On 09/03/2019 at 15:48, Blakey said:

You'll be eating some Crow once the reviews (not Giant Bombs') drop.

On 09/03/2019 at 17:06, Blakey said:

Anywhere from 78-85 MC Average @Hendo, I’d be really surprised if it was any less or more than that based on the strength of the previews. 

The bit I read made it sound like a bunch of pretty good components cobbled into a dreary, overfamiliar whole.

This market doesn't have room for this type of game it feels like.

Or if you are making one it has to have a unique hook, like BOTW's very organic world discovery, or RDR2's life simulation aspects. Zombies and bikers aren't that really

I watched one video, “5 things we

liked about Days Gone,and 1 we didn’t”. The likes were positive,obviously, good gameplay, action sequences etc.

The one thing they didn’t like,was how boring and unremarkable it felt,that after playing for 3 hours,they felt they’d seen all the game had to offer,and weren’t that bothered about playing anymore. 

72% average from 74 critic reviews on Metacritic

72% average from 77 critic reviews on OpenCritic

Have to hold my hands up and say I got my prediction a little bit wrong.

I knew it would get nowhere near as high reviews as Sony’s other exclusives but really didn’t see it going below 75 at all.

Still looking forward to playing it tomorrow ? if I was put off by review scores I would’ve missed out on some amazing games.