passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

What happened to the Cloud

DANGERMAN

When the Xbox One first launched we were told that it didn't matter that it wasn't as powerful as the PS4, because Microsoft had the cloud. The Cloud was going to improve the graphics, the physics, the ai, it was going to be ubiquitous and everyone else was going to be left behind 

But there are been nothing. Granted a lot of the talk was straight up shite. Given the time frame in drawing an image for a 30fps game, there's simply not enough time for the Xbox to recognise what it needs, send that information across the internet, have a server process the image, then send it back. That's a truncated version of what's involved and I have no actual idea of what I'm talking about, but I do think it's safe to assume it was never going to happen.

I believe Crackdown was/is supposed to use the Cloud for physics. It'll be interesting to see, assuming they're still using it, especially in comparison to playing without it. 

Titanfall used the servers for their ai apparently, can't say I remember the ai being anything special, and I suspect the sequel won't use Microsofts Azure servers on the ps4, I could be wrong but it didn't seem to be doing anything normal mmo servers couldn't do 

Anyway, with e3 fast approaching and the rumours of a more powerful Xbox pretty much nailed on as real, why have Microsoft abandoned the idea? Would they have pursued it if the machine had sold better, was it just never really workable at this point in time?