passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Civilization 6

DANGERMAN

I wanted to call it Civ 6 but I'm sure someone moaned once about not being able to find a thread

anyway, Civ 6, October 21st, this year!

I need to break my legs or something around that time so I can play it all day and not get sacked

I played Civ 5 and the add-on to death. I still play Civ 5 online occasionally too. I didn't really get into After Earth. But I'm super stoked about this. It's been rumored for a while, and it's nice to have confirmation and details at long last.

I've got the last dlc for Civ 5 to play still, I'm off next week so once Uncharted is done I might play that. I've got After Earth and the response, like you said, hasn't been great, but I've got it and hopefully some of the patches have improved whatever people didn't like 

I'll probably never get around to it, hopefully I'll manage at least one play through before I pick up 6

• 2 years later...

No Online Multiplayer On Switch

The Nintendo Switch version of Civilization 6 does not have online multiplayer, publisher 2K has confirmed to Eurogamer.

Multiplayer is limited to local play only.

Alarm bells began to ring when perceptive Reddit user WinneonSword spotted something a little odd with the Civilization 6 Switch eShop listing, which specifically states one to four people can play over "local wireless". Similarly, I checked out the British version of the store, which says "up to four players can cooperate or compete for supremacy via a wireless LAN". Unlike other upcoming multiplayer games on the store (such as Warframe, Diablo and Pokémon Let's Go), there is no mention of online multiplayer in the Civilization 6 eShop description.

Fans speculated online multiplayer would arrive in a later patch, but Eurogamer has received confirmation from 2K that the game will not have online multiplayer on the Switch, full stop.

"Civilization 6 for Nintendo Switch includes support for local cooperative and competitive multiplayer for up to four players via a Wireless Network," a 2K spokesperson said via email. "It will not have online multiplayer."

This is obviously a blow to fans, many of whom were hoping to play Civilization 6 with friends over the internet. "If online multiplayer is not added in a day 1 patch, I personally will be hard-pressed to buy the game," original poster WinneonSword stated. "The online function has been one of the primary ways I played the game and its predecessors on PC."

Other players, however, say that the news does not particularly phase them as Civilization games provide a "solid single-player experience". Yet it does seem a bit of a shame to limit multiplayer to only local games. Civilization 6 is encouraging us to go back in time to LAN parties, I guess?

Boo!

Wonder what the reasoning behind this is.  I'm not informed enough about this game and everything around it so its hard for me to speculate.