passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

DC's Fighting Game Diary

HandsomeDead

I think I'm too late but I remember when starting personal threads was The Thing to do, so I'm making another one.

This thread will be where I record my progress 'gitting gud'.

Obviously I've been playing Street Fighter V quite a lot.  I'm unsure at my real rank at it.  I have been silver rank a few times (i'm not at the time of writing) and Trophy data tells me only just over 6% have the Trophy for getting to that rank.  I guess I rule then, but then again why does it always feel like loads of people are much higher and better than me?  I actually think for the amount of time I have put into learning this game I'm pretty low rank.  There is a difference between what I know and what I can actually apply to a match.  I guess what I'm saying is I still feel way off 'gitting gud'.

This all seems a bit downer since I do think I have hit my peak with SFV.  I'll still play for funsies but I don't see any rapid improvement in my game.

So I guess what will be fun is looking to other fighting games and seeing if I can have another fun journey like I did with SFV.  I have the latest Blazblue which I started a thread for but I may drop the concept I had there, completing the story with every character, because BlazBlue is weird.  Some of those characters play like they are in a totally different game and I just can't use all of them.  I can't even finish their stories.

So I got thinking: I'm kinda okay at SFV, at least with a few characters and I can't even use some of them at all.  So I suppose to really get into a fighting game you just have to pick a character and go all in!  It's obvious really.  I'm not writing off finishing the story with everyone, but I think I'll do better after seeing how other people use the weird characters rather than just having what the game teaches you in my head.

SFV is gonna be put on the back burner for a little while.  I'm gonna try and make some progress at BlazeBlue now.

So the plan is to spend five minutes or so with everyone and find someone who clicks and is cool, then mess with the combo challenges, then using that info going into practice and finding easier to use bread and butter combos.  Then I may mess with some arcade mode before taking my green arse online.

I also have Street Fighter X Tekken which I have toyed with which I may do more with but we'll see.

But for now: It's time to 'git gud' at BlazBlue!

• 1 month later...

So I've been working on BlazBlue a little.  Not as much as I'd like but other stuff came up.

After messing around a little I have decided on a character to try and main is Izayoi.  I know barely anything of the lore yet but she's a metamorphosis of another character that has been in BlazBlue since the start, or at least earlier than this version I'm playing.  I think she's kind of a boss character.

She teleports, that is always fun in fighting games so that was the main reason for sticking with her (it was also a big part of why I started using Nash in SFV).  The downside is some of her teleport moves use up a resource unique to her so that's gonna have to be something to bear in mind.  She also has two stances which is usually something that turns me away from characters but so far I think it'll be manageable.

I've just been messing around in training so far, working on some combos and seeing what I can do and how to follow stuff up, so next I'll be seeing how the stuff I've been working on works in a real fight, then, maybe online.  I expect to lose a lot online as I just don't know the match-ups and some of these characters are really odd.

But Guilty Gear is out in a week so I might just be using this as a jumping off point for that.